3 Monitors and Questions

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

3 Monitors and Questions

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:46 am

Goodly Morning All

I just replaced my 11 year old ACER Monitor with a new ACER Monitor which has all the Hook-Ups I need in the back of the Monitor, at least that is what they told me.

I think when building a Flight Simulator that ALL the Monitors should be purchased at the same time and of the same Model and Make...was told that many times.

I use a Samsung Monitor as it is only 5 years old for my main simulated flying monitor...it is the largest.

Right now the system is set up with the ACER over the Samsung. So I move the GPS or Autopilot up to the ACER Monitor if I want to make changes to the Autopilot or Search for the closest NDBs, VORs etc...on the GPS....sometimes I find it difficult to expand the size of the Autopilot or GPS on the upper monitor depending on simulated aircraft type being used.

Now was going to get rid of this old ACER Monitor but was wondering if I could mount it OFF to the SIDE of my other two monitors. Have no idea what I would do with it but just a thought... :lol:

I would like to run this idea by you...I have the newest upgrade to FS Panel Studio (I think) as just updated it.
Now I have many Payware Aircraft for example the C195 and C150 plus about seven more I would like to add a GPS, Autopilot, ADF and VOR Gauges to.

Could I somehow install on this 3rd Monitor a GPS, Autopilot, ADF and VOR Gauges to work with ALL my simulated aircraft that do not have those Gauges...it would be much simpler than using FS Panel Studio to ADD these to each simulated aircraft.

Just turn on the Monitor and there is the Gauges I want...would be good also with aircraft that have those gauges as would not have to switch windows all the time.

Or perhaps moving the Map in FSX to this 3rd Monitor...that is also a thought and something that would be most helpful when in low and slow flight with no NAV Aids about.

I do have Google Earth installed...haven't used it for Flight Simulator.

Is it as simple as Plugging this 3rd Monitor in and doing something in the Control Panel...(I am not an Electronic Gizmo Person so please use the KISS Principle...Keep it simple stupid... :lol: )

I also use FSUIPC 490 which is Free...wonder if updating that with the Payware FSUIPC would make any difference :?:

Any ideas other than take up the Bagpipes, Train Simulator or Fly Fishing would be most helpful... ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Re: 3 Monitors and Questions

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:22 pm

If you have a second screen and want a really good "moving map", may I suggest Plan-G? Among it's other great features - it's free. :D

In this picture I have Plan-G and it's on-screen radio panel showing on one of my 9" USB monitors.

You can "tune" everything on the radio panel with mouse clicks. Click above the number to increase the numbers, below the number to lower the settings.

Click the <-> to shift frequencies to active/standby.

When used on a single monitor you can make it "Always stay on top" if you want.

Not only do you get runway diagrams, but radio & navigation frequencies too.

Image.

And that is just a very, very short list. :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Now that is an option I like OldAirmail...going to look into this...thanks.... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi OldAirmail

Got Plan G installed.

It shows my Airport Location and even some saved Flight Plans from FSX.

I have FSUIPC Freeware installed.

But I get all these squares within Flight Plan that say:

EXCEPTION: The remote name could not be resolved
AND
We are sorry but we don't have imagery at this zoom level.

Not sure what I have not done...Cheers...Doug

P.S. I start FSX First then Plan G...is that correct :?:
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 pm

You'll have to play around with it to get the most out of it.

But getting started isn't so hard - IF you know the secret! (The secret is hidden in the instructions where NOBODY would ever think to look :lol: )

I know. I've got arrows and numbers all over the place. Just go from 1 to 5 and things should get better.

You'll probably want to see any mountains that you might hit, so follow these steps.

Now you have to tell it where "it" is. FSX, again, in your case.

One more thing, this program doesn't need FSUIPC. It works best with SimConnect.

This step is absolutely critical - you have to let it build a database of all the airports in whatever flight sim you're using. Naturally you'll want it to use the airports in FSX.

Build the Database.

Afterwards, click on Home to the right of File.

Now you have to connect to the flight sim and center the map on your plane.

That should get you started, and let it be a bit more useful. You'll still have to learn what does what, and don't forget to right click on just about everything.

I know that it'll take some time. Just keep on keeping on.

BTW -I have no idea where the instructions are ??? I've been using this program too long. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:17 am

Good morning OldAirmail

Okay, several issues:

-I have uninstalled this and installed it and it will not let me Open "File, Home, Map etc"
They can't be clicked on.
Had no problem with initial set-up and did everything in your instructions.

All my Flight Plans from FSX show when I start this up.

When I go into simulated flight FSX has to be in windows mode or else the map will not show.

No airplane shows on map either, just the course or flight plan.

Now in FSX all I have in Options is FSUIPC...Sim Connect does not show which is what this is set too.

When I uninstalled Plan-G and reinstalled I thought it would require a complete set up but it goes right to the same screen, even showing my Flight Plan which I thought was strange.

I found Sim Connect and downloaded it but have not installed it...would that make a difference.

Will Sim Connect show up in Options with FSUIPC in FSX and will they work together :?:

Would probably have to uninstall Plan-G again and do a new install.

Any ideas :?:
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 am

Sometimes the simplest things take the longest time. :(

Normally, Plan-G, is simple install, with a setup required after the install. None of the problems that you are finding.

It IS worth getting it working though, so keep with it. If worst comes to worst, you may have to seek support on their website.

Uninstalling

Window, intentionally, does a bad job of uninstalling software, thinking that you might uninstall something by mistake.

So Microsoft lets you "uninstall" the program, BUT NOT the data. And a bunch of other stuff, like the Windows Registry settings.

To do a complete uninstall, you'll have to re-install the program again.

Next, download Revo Uninstaller FREEWARE.

Revo Uninstaller will hunt down and remove ALL parts of a program that was installed. Don't worry, it won't delete other files that Plan-G reads, such as your flight plans.

I've used Revo for about 15 years, or more, without any problems. As with the Windows uninstaller program, make sure that you uninstall what you intend to uninstall.

SimConnect

Over the years Microsoft has produced three known versions of SimConnect. For the most part, they are interchangeable. But not always.

As a Prepar3d user, if I want to use some FSX files, I have to install all three SimConnect versions. They can run side by side without any problems, so you might as well install all three too.

For more details read about the Prepar3d SimConnect problem read (only if necessary)- Does v3 need any Simconnect installs?

The best way for you to get all three versions is from here - FsPassengers - Download Simconnect.

These are NOT FSPassengers files, these are from Microsoft. Downloading them is not piracy.

READ the ReadMe file. It's VERY short. Essentually, you have to install then in a particular order before you re-install Plan-G (or possibly any program that needs them).

Install the three SimConnect.msi by double clicking on them in order:

1-RTM/Simconnect.msi
2-SP1/Simconnect.msi
3-XPACK/Simconnect.msi

4-Reinstall FsPassengers Plan-G

Once all that is done try re-installing Plan-G. I've been using it for about 5-6 years (without problems).

It's entirely possible (don't tell my wife that I said this) that I have the install & setup sequence wrong. :oops:

If absolutely necessary, read the instructions.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks again OldAirmail...much appreciated... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:04 am

Goodly morning OldAirmail

Got it up and running...
Did a simulated flight and it used one of my saved flight plans from FSX.

Now I have not found the screen with the map and radio frequencies yet. Just shows map and simulated aircraft on flight plan. I like it when it tells me I am approaching a new nav aid.... Will keep experimenting... ;)

I saved simulated flight in FSX and did not disconnect from map when closed out FSX. Should that be a problem :?:
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm glad that it's working now. The rest will follow in time.

A few tips that may be helpful, if you haven't already found them on your own.

Click on the "Map" tab to turn on, or off, map features.
You'll definitely want to put a checkmark in "FloatPlane Bases". :D

Move the arrow cursor OVER a area and wait a second. Some useful information will pop up.
Image . . Image

Image . . Image

Now move the arrow cursor over the same areas and RIGHT CLICK on the mark.

Looking more interesting? :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks OldAirmail...

This is really a good program, surprised that I had not downloaded it before, but I use the Map in FSX, GPS and some Sectionals a lot of the time.

This is going to make things a lot easier... :clap: :dance:
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:16 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's great for finding an airfield in a part of the world that you're not familiar with. Just look for an interesting area, then look for an airport nearby.

Now, knowing you, you might want to find a watery landing place. Easy as pie. :D

Click on Map. See where it says "Floatplane Bases"?

Watch what happens when you repeatedly click on the check box.

Now you don't have to look up places on a list and try to find them on a map.

Don't forget to bring your fishing tackle. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks OldAirmail...much appreciated

Now do you have a SIMPLE way to use FS Panel Studio :?:

I want to take ALL my Payware Bugsmashers and ADD:
VORs-2
ADF-Dual Needle
Auto Pilot and Radios
GPS

This program is not as easy as the Instructions say...going to have a look at the SWAP in this program.

Wondering if this FS Panel Studio changes the Aircraft CFG Files automatically :?:

Cheers...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Doug, I don't have it, but maybe someone who does can help.

For years I've been using GA Panel in my two small monitoirs.

Until I switched to Windows 10, it's always been very easy to use, and rock solid. Unfortunately, it only has 38 gauges. But if it weren't for the problems, I'd keep on using it, as it gives you enough generic gauges to get you by.
Under Win 10 it keeps loosing it's license and changing to Spanish. :confusion-confused: Every time that I start it up I have to put in the license and change the language. Then it'll be good until I shut it down.

Two bad things about GA Panel are that it has never been updated since I bought it, and other programs have FAR more instruments for about the same price.

As far as FS Panel Studio goes, isn't that just for modifying 2D panels inside the cockpit? Again, I don't have it and don't know.

If you want to make an off-screen instrument panel for that old ACER Monitor there are two good choices that I know of.

The one that I went with, to replace GA Panel was Air Manager V2.1.3, $39.38 Canadian.

Another one is Panel Builder, $65.64 Canadian

Panel Builder has "Over 150 Instruments included".

Air Manager not only has more but you can use it for multiple flight sims. You can also make, or download, more instruments for free.

You can create your own grouping of instruments into a "panel" and have them automatically run when you switch to that plane. All you have to do is put a check mark in a box next to the aircraft displayed in Air Manager.

Both programs are drag & drop. The only negative that I have with Air Manager is that to resize a gauge you have to do it by changing the height & width numbers.

Nobody wants to spend more money, but either of those might be a good choice if you want to put instruments on another monitor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdMsCCyuc8[/youtube]

The small window at the bottom shows the gauges for a Cub. Needless to say, on the basic Cub there is no "fuel gauge" but I wanted to fii the space. :D

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks OldAirmail will have a look to see what I can come up with... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups