Home Build OH Panel

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Home Build OH Panel

Postby ermias » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Hello,

Here we go again. After some months of hesitation I started to restructure my simulator. I had some time so I decided to hide myself once again in the basement.

This is my most successful overhead panel version since my initial two attempt years ago. I can't afford to buy a completely build panel as it it a- way too expensive and b- I like to try and see my work no matter what the out come.

Finally I came up with the idea of printing 1:1 size of Boeing 737 overhead and sandwich it between two plexiglass sheets. It was not simple, but way cheaper, doable and rewarding.

I bought the following:
120 open cockpit's legends (libels) along with their boxes to hold the LED lights for front OH panel.
5 keyboard and joystick emulators from groovy game gear.
2 pen cockpit's USB out circuits for driving the LEDs.
A lot of toggle, push buttons and flip switches from several sources.

Wiring is,simply put, insane; that is it. No more to say. The other challenge was how to join the legends as it is very difficult to cut boxes in the plexis. I decided to use double sided transparent tapes so that I can stick the labels in the front and the boxes in the back. DONE.

I am using ProSim737 glass cockpit suite and the switches are working flawlessly. Mapping the switches is a piece of cake. ProSim recognizes the last turned switch so easier to configure. In the mean time I am working on the corresponding LEDs.

I believe ,without loosing functionality, I find this the most cost effective way to build the overhead panel.

The last picture shows flight recorder panel (1983 Fairchild Aircraft) and a rare evacuation panel (1970 American Airlines). I got these from ebay.

Thanks,
Ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Home Build OH Panel

Postby Steve M » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm

That's impressive! It's looking very cool and very difficult..
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby ermias » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Steve M wrote:It's looking very cool and very difficult..

Not "very difficult" very innocent until you try to build one.

Thanks,
ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Looking VERY impressive!!!!! Nice job.

Have you ever noticed that as you build... you have to develop the support documents just like for a real aircraft? The "spaggetti" mess of wiring becomes a real chore to sort out when something does not work right.

Nice work.

best,

...................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ermias » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Hello John,

Yes, that is one of the things which has haunted me for decades (yes, for decades). I am good only at wiring not on on the management side. But still before it goes too far I have to do something about it.

Thanks,

Ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 am

Very impressive, wait., no not impressive at all, OUTSTANDING :clap: :clap:

Just one suggestion, with regard to the guarded switches, only the IDG disconnect switches are red, the rest are black, well on the old NG's I work on, unless Boeing has made any changes recently.......

Matt
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby expat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 am

I forgot, the ALT Flap switch is also red too.

Matt
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pete » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 am

Wow! That's amazing. :clap:
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ermias » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

expat wrote:Very impressive, wait., no not impressive at all, OUTSTANDING :clap: :clap:

Just one suggestion, with regard to the guarded switches, only the IDG disconnect switches are red, the rest are black, well on the old NG's I work on, unless Boeing has made any changes recently.......

Matt

Matt,

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, most of the guard switches are black except those you mentioned. I got the switches and the knobs from Radio shack a while ago and there wasn't any variety. The toggles that came with the guard switches were LED powered so I replaced them by normal toggles. I used the LED toggles for the light switches and they remain ON in OFF position as indicators. I know this is not realistic but I chose to go that way. Maybe I will spray the guards black ...

Thanks,
ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm

ermias wrote:
expat wrote:Very impressive, wait., no not impressive at all, OUTSTANDING :clap: :clap:

Matt

Matt,

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, most of the guard switches are black except those you mentioned. I got the switches and the knobs from Radio shack a while ago and there wasn't any variety. The toggles that came with the guard switches were LED powered so I replaced them by normal toggles. I used the LED toggles for the light switches and they remain ON in OFF position as indicators. I know this is not realistic but I chose to go that way. Maybe I will spray the guards black ...

Thanks,
ermias

Glad to be of help. Also if you need any close up pictures of the 737 overhead or cockpit in general, you only have to ask...

Matt
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby beaky » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:28 pm

That is insane, ermias... very ambitious, and very nice work! :handgestures-salute:
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Pretty nice work...................respect respect..............
Congratulations
Trooper
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby ermias » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello Beaky and Masabi Trooper,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, that thing was the most "frightening" thing to attempt building. I am honestly not sure if it is that hard to make, but is very intense, tiring and never gives you a hint of hope it is going to work. You have to have all the time in the planet, sacrifice sleep or have understanding (or at least that pretends to) spouse.

Thanks again,

ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 am

ermias wrote:...........or have understanding (or at least that pretends to) spouse.

THE key to having a simpit! :dance:

best,

..................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi Ermias
Just keep us informed about your exellent work.................convinced that you ar going to finish one of the best cockpits....

Regards
Bruno (Trooper)
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups