Cheap projector?

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Cheap projector?

Postby TacitBlue » Sat May 08, 2010 5:41 am

So I've been thinking seriously about starting a sim-pit project. I've found almost everything I would need at reasonable prices except for a projector. I won't really settle for anything less, I need a huge display for the out side view. Where can I get a decent projector for less than $300? resolution doesn't have to be super high quality, I would say at least 800x600.
A&P Mechanic, Rankin Aircraft 78Y

Aircraft are naturally beautiful because form follows function. -TB
TacitBlue
Major
Major

Re: Cheap projector?

Postby JBaymore » Sat May 08, 2010 9:44 am

TacitBlue,

The words "cheap" and "projector" do not belong in the same sentence  ;).

From my experience you don't want to go below 1024 x 768 resolution.

Web searches are always in order.  Try EBay and Craigslist.  Caveat Emptor. 

And remember that the REAL cost of running the projector is the replacement bulbs.

best,

.....................john

PS:  Sorry you got lured into the "Dark Side".  Your life is ruined  ;).
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TacitBlue » Sat May 08, 2010 2:40 pm

LOL, I was afraid of that. And yeah, replacement bulb prices are crazy. Some that I have seen cost about half as much as the projector. I'm a little leery of buying a projector on ebay, I don't want one whose bulb is just about to burn out, but I'll check around anyway. Thanks for the advice. :)
A&P Mechanic, Rankin Aircraft 78Y

Aircraft are naturally beautiful because form follows function. -TB
TacitBlue
Major
Major

Postby Towerguy » Wed May 12, 2010 3:30 am

try googling "home made projector", I found a site - will have to try and find the address - but it shows and tells how to go about making your own projector using lcd screens etc for about $200-$300 - even shows examples of 100 inch operating and all made at home using not very hard to obtain materials and much much cheaper!
Towerguy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Sun May 23, 2010 2:16 pm

I realise that this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I have an idea for you. Got to ebay and as a search use "pocket pojector". These hand size projectors may be what the simpit world has been waiting for. Small enough to be mounted anywhere you want
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 am

Matt,

That sounds like a great potential solution...... even to a wrap-around multiple projector situation that will not require a mortgage.

Thanks for the idea.

best,

...................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby expat » Fri May 28, 2010 10:33 am

Matt,

That sounds like a great potential solution...... even to a wrap-around multiple projector situation that will not require a mortgage.

Thanks for the idea.

best,

...................john

Glad I could help John. I stumbled upon them by accident when looking for something else  :)

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Romflyer » Fri May 28, 2010 5:13 pm

[quote]I realise that this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I have an idea for you. Got to ebay and as a search use "pocket pojector". These hand size projectors may be what the simpit world has been waiting for. Small enough to be mounted anywhere you want
Romflyer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Capt.Propwash » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 pm

why not just buy the screen and just figure out a way to hang it on the wall WITHOUT the roller thingy???

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Pro ... 47001.html

for roughly only $150 for just the fabric, and maybe a few thumbtacks to hold it to the wall.... that is WAY cheaper than your $500 estimate.
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Postby Romflyer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:08 am

why not just buy the screen and just figure out a way to hang it on the wall WITHOUT the roller thingy???

for roughly only $150 for just the fabric, and maybe a few thumbtacks to hold it to the wall.... that is WAY cheaper than your $500 estimate.

My little daydream  ;) was to have 3 projectors and a radiused screen, which involved a curved wall with screen paint......$500 was being optimistic  8-)
Romflyer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby mhoffman50 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:23 pm

My little daydream
mhoffman50
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups