Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Weird Clouds (Read 2113 times)
Mar 13th, 2009 at 2:29pm

Zac Siegel   Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
Fly FS
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Whenever I fly around the southern end of Lake Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo-Niagara etc.) I get these weird shaped clouds that put themselves ontop of the rest of the sky. For example, it could be an overcast day, but these clouds will appear ontop of the cloud layer with a distinct outline around them. Even when doing night flying, they appear bright on top of the night sky. If anyone knows what this is all about, please let me know.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 8:49pm

727 driver   Offline
Colonel
727 200 rules
nh

what r u using fs9 fsx???Zac Siegel wrote on Mar 13th, 2009 at 2:29pm:
Whenever I fly around the southern end of Lake Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo-Niagara etc.) I get these weird shaped clouds that put themselves ontop of the rest of the sky. For example, it could be an overcast day, but these clouds will appear ontop of the cloud layer with a distinct outline around them. Even when doing night flying, they appear bright on top of the night sky. If anyone knows what this is all about, please let me know.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 8:55pm

Sean_TK   Offline
Colonel
Hello
USA

I'm guessing FS2004 since this is the 2004 support forum.  Wink

Have you installed any environmental addons recently?
Also, does this only occur in the specified region, or does it occur in other locations around the globe?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 9:30pm

Zac Siegel   Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
Fly FS
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FS2004. And as I said, only around southern lake Ontario. No new enviromental add ons.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 9:36pm

Sean_TK   Offline
Colonel
Hello
USA

I was just thinking...are these "clouds" generally the same color as the surrounding clouds. White or gray?

If not, it could be Microsoft's interpretation of the Northern Lights. I suppose the effect could be misinterpreted as a cloud.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 10:11pm

Zac Siegel   Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
Fly FS
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

They are an off-white colour, and are slightly funnel shaped. The separate clouds make up a circle, enclosing the aircraft.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 10:21pm

Sean_TK   Offline
Colonel
Hello
USA

Very strange. Could you post a screenshot please?

Sorry, I'm trying to help, but I'm having a hard time determining what precisely this looks like, and what the cause could be.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 10:25pm

Zac Siegel   Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
Fly FS
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

sorry, I'm a noobie here, how do I post a screenshot? Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 10:50pm

dave3cu   Offline
Colonel
Procrastinate now, don't
put it off.
3CU, Northern Wisconsin, USA

To upload images go here http://www.simviation.com/yabbupload.html
You can always find the link near the top of the forum page(s).
Read the rules on the upload page.

What weather are you flying? weather theme, custom weather, real world.

Dave

At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation.          Igor Sikorsky

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.         Steven Wright

You know....you can just rip up a to-do list.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 11:06pm

Zac Siegel   Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
Fly FS
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It happens with all weather; clear, coudy, custom, real-world etc.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 11:37pm

dave3cu   Offline
Colonel
Procrastinate now, don't
put it off.
3CU, Northern Wisconsin, USA

I see where background clouds are apparently being masked by a transparency.

The cloud bmps are in the main Texture folder.  They use intuitive file names so you should be able to find the cloud sets.

I happened to stumble on one that has the same shape as the largest  one in your screen shot,  'cldcn3.bmp'. Maybe check the file dates (created and modified dates). Defaults are generally April and May, 2003. If your's differ maybe they are faulty (alpha??) or for an earlier version of FS.

Quote:
...The separate clouds make up a circle, enclosing the aircraft....

Do the 'cloud circles' follow your aircraft, or do you find them at certain fixed locations?

Dave

At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation.          Igor Sikorsky

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.         Steven Wright

You know....you can just rip up a to-do list.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 5:24am

Daube   Offline
Colonel
Alternative bloomer
Nice (FR)

I recognize the cloud that is just in front of the Cessna. It's a cloud that comes from an addon that creates thermals, I can't remember the name of it. There is even an option to enable the display of those clouds (to show where the thermals are) or not.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 11:58am

Opa   Offline
Colonel
Fly FS
Plano, Texas

Daube wrote on Mar 14th, 2009 at 5:24am:
I recognize the cloud that is just in front of the Cessna. It's a cloud that comes from an addon that creates thermals, I can't remember the name of it. There is even an option to enable the display of those clouds (to show where the thermals are) or not.

To "see" Thermal and Fuel Trigger boxes in FS2004, add the following line under the [SCENERY] label in your FS9.cfg file:

ShowTriggers=1

Changing the value to 0 (zero) will make them go away.

Hope that is useful.  Roll Eyes

David "Opa" Marshall
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 6:54pm

Zac Siegel   Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
Fly FS
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh man, you got it. I installed a thermal package for South-Central Ontario and that was it.

Thans for the help.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 11:55pm

patchz   Offline
Colonel
What, me worry?
IN THE FUNNY PAPERS

Opa wrote on Mar 14th, 2009 at 11:58am:

To "see" Thermal and Fuel Trigger boxes in FS2004, add the following line under the [SCENERY] label in your FS9.cfg file:

ShowTriggers=1

Changing the value to 0 (zero) will make them go away.

Hope that is useful.  Roll Eyes

At the risk of sounding dumb, I have to ask. Where do I find the FS9.cfg file. I can find the devices.cfg, displlay.cfg, fs2000.cfg, OldScenery.cfg, scenery.cfg, and suneffect.cfg in the FS9 folder, but I can't find FS9.cfg anywhere. And having added thermals about a year ago, I feel sure there must already be a line like that there because I can see them in various locations where thermals were added. I just need to know where to find the right file and that line to change the value to 0 because they do not look natural.

If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print