Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Scenery help needed (Read 445 times)
Oct 8th, 2004 at 11:40am

JW49   Offline
Colonel
T6-Texan, Over 40,000
combat missions in Korea

I recently downloaded the following Las Vegas scenery file:http://www.simviation.com/fs2004scenery6.htm  When the file is unzipped, there are just two folders, scenery and textures, no main file folder.  I have copied and pasted the below install instructions which, to me, are clear as mud.  I'm not sure where they are intended to be placed.  Addon Scenery?  Scenery/cities/LasVegas?  He states a folder named: VGAS2004.  I have no such folder anywhere in FS9, and there is none in the zip file.  Never really worked with scenery before.  I have printed out all applicable tutorials re. scenery installing, but it applies to the addon scenery folder.  Hoping someone here can interpret the below instructions for me.  The config. lines, I have no problem with.  Any and all help appreciated.  Thanks, Jerry

*Installation
(1)Move this VGAS2004 folder to your Flight Simulator 9\Scenery directory.

Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\VGAS2004\

(2)Insert following lines to Flight Simulator 9\scenery.cfg

[Area.0XX]
Title=VGAS2004
Local=Scenery\VGAS2004
Layer=XX
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Set XX bigger number than 39.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 12:04pm

Fly2e   Offline
Global Moderator
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere!
KFRG

Hey JW49,
Forget those directions, here is the simple way.

You have two folders that unzipped from the file, Scenery and Texture, correct?

Open the scenery folder, copy all and Paste in your add on folder scenery.
FS9/Addon Scenery/Scenery. Done

Now repeat the above procedure but put the texture files in the texture add on folder.
FS9/Addon Scenery/Texture. Done

That should be it! good Luck!!

Dave

Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor 965, 4.2GHz/8MB L3 Cache, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel X58 Chipset Cross
Fire & SLI Supported, Mushkin Redline 6GB (3X2GB) Memory, eVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Vista 64.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 12:11pm

JW49   Offline
Colonel
T6-Texan, Over 40,000
combat missions in Korea

Thanks Dave, I'll give it a try........Jerry

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 3:26pm
RollerBall   Ex Member

Whoaaaa

With respect Dave, not the best way to do it.

...\ADDON SCENERY\scenery is best used for AFCAD AFD files - you just paste em in and they are activated automatically. If you start putting addon scenery files in there as well in a very short while it would become terribly messy and impossible to de-install specific sceneries if you wanted to.

The BEST way to install any addon scenery is to create a specific folder for it in the main FS9 ....\ADDON SCENERY FOLDER like it tells you to do eg VGAS2004.

Then you either paste the scenery and subfolders directly into it as this install so helpfully lets you, or in the case of other sceneries that aren't quite so organised, create your own scenery and texture subfolders and copy the appropriate files in as instructed in the scenery ReadMe.

So you have:

....\ADDON SCENERY\VGAS2004\scenery
....\ADDON SCENERY\VGAS2004\texture

Then when you have everything in place you start the sim, click on Settings..Scenery Library..Add Area and browse to the new scenery. In this case the VGAS2004 folder.

Then you have to stop the sim and restart - and enjoy your new scenery.

Sorry I have to disagree, but if people start by doing things in an organised way, they'll avoid many of the pitfalls that can (and do) happen

Roger

Oh and BTW

There's no need to edit the scenery.cfg file. Why this cobblers keeps appearing in addon sceneries I do not know. The prog does this for you automatically and there's great potential for you to mess things up big time if you don't know what you're doing.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 3:37pm

Hagar   Offline
Colonel
My Spitfire Girl
Costa Geriatrica

I have to agree with Roger here. Check out my Scenery Clinic. This is the method I've been using in all the M$ sims for over 5 years now without a hitch. http://www.simviation.com/lair/fs2004sc.htm

Quote:
Oh and BTW

There's no need to edit the scenery.cfg file. Why this cobblers keeps appearing in addon sceneries I do not know. The prog does this for you automatically and there's great potential for you to mess things up big time if you don't know what you're doing.

I can only assume that the people who advise you to activate addon scenery by editing Scenery.cfg don't know the best way to install scenery themselves. Roll Eyes

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group

Need help? Try Grumpy's Lair

My photo gallery
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 3:57pm

Fly2e   Offline
Global Moderator
KFRG

Wait a minute, So what you are saying Roger is that in the FS9 Root folder you obviously have the default Add On Scenery Folder. Now instead of throwing all the bare files in each folder, scenery into scenery and texture into texture, You can sub name each add on scenery like you said
Quote:
....\ADDON SCENERY\VGAS2004\scenery
....\ADDON SCENERY\VGAS2004\texture

My way, the sim would load the new files on boot up and there you go but I could never ever find the files if I had to because they are all just lumped in there. A very messy way of doing things I might add. You could never locate files you put in if you really needed to edit or remove a scenery add on. The way you describe you are saying you now have sub folders in the add on scenery folder that are clearly labeled as to what add on scenery they are. They will not load now until you go to settings and add scenery???

If this is correct, well I know it is coming from You Roger, this would clear up many, many things for me!! It would also explain why I have 2 other payware scenery add ons in my add on scenery folder that say FLYTAMPA. That is the payware add ons that I purchased from Flytampa and in them are 2 folders, scenery and texture. I was wondering how it was working. I thought it put them there as a back up or something!! To make this scenery active though, you do need to do what you said though,
Quote:
Then when you have everything in place you start the sim, click on Settings..Scenery Library..Add Area and browse to the new scenery. In this case the VGAS2004 folder.

correct?

I need to go try this now!! Sorry JW49, my way will work but I just learn new things every day!!  Grin

Boy, do I feel like a fool now! ???

Dave

Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor 965, 4.2GHz/8MB L3 Cache, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel X58 Chipset Cross
Fire & SLI Supported, Mushkin Redline 6GB (3X2GB) Memory, eVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Vista 64.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 4:03pm

garymbuska   Offline
Colonel
I would rather be flying
Jacksonville, Florida

That is the way I do it Just create a folder in the addon scenry folder name it after the scenery you are going to put in it then put the scenery and texture folders into that newly created folder. Like rollerball said it makes things nice and easy. and you know exactly where it is and what is in each folder.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 4:15pm

Fly2e   Offline
Global Moderator
KFRG

Well I am now very Happy to hear this. As I am in the early stages of installing over 10gigs of add on scenery and this will make things so very easy! Funny thing, I have been doing it like this since I 1st started using the sim only to find out this now. I don't know weather to feel like a "newbie  Lips Sealed " or just take it like a man!  Grin
Now it all makes perfect sense!

Thanks,

Dave

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 4:54pm

JW49   Offline
Colonel
T6-Texan, Over 40,000
combat missions in Korea

I'm gonna go back in and do it over rogers way.  I have read hagars scenery clinic and knew how to do it that way but thought this was something different, didn't know I had to create that main file folder.  Thanks Guys

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 4:59pm

Fly2e   Offline
Global Moderator
KFRG

Quote:
I'm gonna go back in and do it over rogers way.  I have read hagars scenery clinic and knew how to do it that way but thought this was something different, didn't know I had to create that main file folder.

Agreed!!

Happy installing!!!  Grin

Dave

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 5:11pm
RollerBall   Ex Member

Grin

Just send money - loads of it. Always works  Wink

OK one more thing while we're at it. Mesh.

Here's what I do. Have a subfolder inside ADDON SCENERY called .... wait for it...MESH.

Then inside this create further subfolders for each mesh you load with a scenery sub-sub folder in each one, into which you place the actual mesh file(s).

Then you activate each one in the usual way. That way, because new updated mesh files seem to come out on an almost weekly basis, you can easily deactivate and/or remove old ones when you have replacements because you know exactly where to look.

The other thing is that you want to observe the correct scenery priorities (what the sim calls layers). So you must place the meshes above the default scenery files in the scenery library but below installed sceneries.

See this pic - see where the meshes are - right above the last default scenery file.

Also, where I have 2 meshes in the same area (SFO/California) the 'local' mesh goes above the large general area mesh.

Also you can see how by doing it this way, although I have 2 Hong Kong meshes installed, only the 'best' one is activated and I could if I want delete the other one (but haven't).

I always try to keep as much out of the sim main folders as I can (Scenery, Textures etc) but it's not always possible to do so though and some addon files have to go into the main folders. So what do you do? Yep - goes without saying - you take a copy of the original just in case because strangely enough, things have been known to screw up from time to time  Cheesy

Roger

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 5:18pm

Hagar   Offline
Colonel
My Spitfire Girl
Costa Geriatrica

Does nobody here bother to read my tutes? Shocked I might as well not bother posting them. Tongue Wink

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators

My photo gallery
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 5:31pm

JW49   Offline
Colonel
T6-Texan, Over 40,000
combat missions in Korea

The check's in the mail Roger! Roll Eyes  Now, if I wasn't thoroughly confused with the simple Addon Scenery folders, I think the brief Mesh clinic and the priorities listings has done it. Tongue ???  I will get to the mesh thing a little later, when I learn exactly what "mesh" is.  Thanks again for the help guys!  Got to go put on my aluminum foil hat now so the commies can't steal this knowlege from me. Tongue..........Jerry

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 5:33pm
RollerBall   Ex Member

Quote:
Does nobody here bother to read my tutes? Shocked I might as well not bother posting them. Tongue Wink

Grin

Hey - we still love ya - don't have one of your moods on us (it's just his age folks - I'll probably be like that when I'm that old  Wink )

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 5:49pm

Hagar   Offline
Colonel
My Spitfire Girl
Costa Geriatrica

Quote:
Grin

Hey - we still love ya -

Well, that's a relief I must say. Grin

Quote:
don't have one of your moods on us (it's just his age folks - I'll probably be like that when I'm that old  Wink )

Leave my age out of this. I'm in my second childhood. Tongue 8) Wink

My photo gallery
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print