Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I change the default Flight?? (Read 6733 times)
Jul 7th, 2004 at 5:35am

Echo_India   Offline
Captain
Ryanair Rulz

Probably a silly question, but how do I change the default location and aircraft in the "Create a Flight Screen"

Regards
Echo India

Come Fly with me come fly come, fly awaaaaaay
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 6:02am

goodfella   Offline
Colonel
Funny, funny how, how
am I funny,what the........
Downtown

As far as I know you can just create a flight that you would like to have as a default and then save it in-game
when the planes on the runway or at the terminal. The save screen should have a box you can tick to make it the default. Just press : and you will see the save box pop up. I think this works but there maybe also another way?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 6:12am

Hagar   Offline
Colonel
My Spitfire Girl
Costa Geriatrica

Set up the flight you wish to make default. Aircraft, airport, runway or ramp, time etc. Slew to a location & cut the engines if you wish. Then select Flights/Save Flight from the FS9 menu bar. Check the "Make this the default flight" box before saving it under a suitable name. You can change this at any time & also make any existing flight into the default in the same way.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group

Need help? Try Grumpy's Lair

My photo gallery
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 4:49pm

jordonj   Offline
Colonel
Loose my license...WHAT
license?!
Michigan

I save the flight via the ; key, make it the default.  This is after I park and shut down the plane.

My first flight in a 172 on August 20, 2004&&...&&&&Doing the right thing is more important than doing the thing right. (P. Drucker) &&&&When all think alike, then no one is thinking. (Walter Lippmann)&&&&Boredom's the problem. And how do you beat Boredom? Adventure!!!&&&&Tyler: You-You'll remember my position, won't you?&&&&Rosie: Sure! Stop by for a drink sometime!&&&&Tyler: Wait! Wait! What is my position?&&&&Rosie: Ehhhh...beats the hell outta me! I just hope I can find my way back home!
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 10:56pm

Capt.Propwash   Offline
Colonel
Let's get a little mud
on the tires!
KCHS, Charleston, SC, USA

i have been having some problems with this, and hopefully someone can help me out with it......

I can save the flight at the 'create a flight' screen, on the tarmac/ramp, or in the sky as "save as the default flight" and "save as UI generated" ..... every possible way to save, I save it.

I can shut down and reboot FS9 / 2004 and when i come back in.... DANG IT!!!!! back to the Cessna 172 at KSEA, whatever time, 'todays date', with Fair Weather.   IT WONT SAVE.  I have deleted the FS9.CFG i dont know how many times.  I have deleted the "Flight Simulator Files" in MY DOCUMENTS ....... nothing matters.  Whatever plane i am in that i want to start out in..... say my F14D at KCHS, real world weather.. it will not start as that when i boot up.

any ideas??

The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expressions, or posts that I have made, or will make in the future.

Computer Specs:: Acer Aspire Laptop..Win7 Home Premium 64-bit (sp1), AMD Athlon II X2 P340 (Dual Core) [2.2 Ghz], ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (256mb), 4GB DDR3......FS9.1(sp3) / FSX (sp2)..... Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Environment X, REX, FTX ORBX PNW-PFJ-NRM-CRM, OZx, Tongass Fjords, Misty Moorings
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 11:14pm

dave3cu   Offline
Colonel
Procrastinate now, don't
put it off.
3CU, Northern Wisconsin, USA

Don't save it as the 'UI generated flight' as the sim re-saves this flight every session based on changes you make changes in the Create a flight window.

Give your flight it's own name, or select one YOU saved, and save as the default flight.

If you want the default flight to start with the date/time saved rather that your current system date/time go to Settings>General and change the Time setting to  Flight Time.

Dave

At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation.          Igor Sikorsky

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.         Steven Wright

You know....you can just rip up a to-do list.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:02am

Capt.Propwash   Offline
Colonel
Let's get a little mud
on the tires!

every session i change the plane to F14D

Start Location: KCHS, Charleston AFB, SC (my home)

Weather: Real World (as i have real environment pro)

Time: whatever I want it to be.

I go to SAVE FLIGHT.  click the check for SAVE AS DEFAULT. name it Default. ......... GO FLY FOR 20 MIN. then shut down and restart the sim.

guess what?? Its back to being the Cessna 172 @ KSEA, Fair Weather.  I DO NOT want to be in the dang Cessna! I want to start as my F14, but it will no longer let me.

The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expressions, or posts that I have made, or will make in the future.

Computer Specs:: Acer Aspire Laptop..Win7 Home Premium 64-bit (sp1), AMD Athlon II X2 P340 (Dual Core) [2.2 Ghz], ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (256mb), 4GB DDR3......FS9.1(sp3) / FSX (sp2)..... Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Environment X, REX, FTX ORBX PNW-PFJ-NRM-CRM, OZx, Tongass Fjords, Misty Moorings
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:17am

Opa   Offline
Colonel
Fly FS
Plano, Texas

Are you running Vista by chance?

If so, you probably need to turn off UAC controls so changes you make are accepted.

That can be done by going to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and turn off UAC (User Account Control).

Hope that helps.   Smiley Smiley

David "Opa" Marshall
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:33am

Capt.Propwash   Offline
Colonel
Let's get a little mud
on the tires!

nope... WinXP SP3

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:34am

Opa   Offline
Colonel
Fly FS
Plano, Texas

Just as a matter of information:

When a saved flight is successfully changed to the "default flight" it will be recorded in your FS9.cfg file.

Here is an example of mine:

SITUATION=C:\Documents and Settings\Opa\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Southwest at KDAL 13R

The SITUATION= line is under the [USERINTERFACE] label in the FS9.cfg file.

If that line is misssing or the path data after the = sign is blank, then the default flight which is presented to you will revert to the original Cessna flight.  That default flight (which should never be edited) is located in your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Flights\other folder and is named FLTSIM.FLT

In my example above, note that the complete path to a flight which I had saved is shown.  I named that flight Southwest at KDAL 13R.

Hope this information is helpful.   Roll Eyes

David "Opa" Marshall
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:46am

Capt.Propwash   Offline
Colonel
Let's get a little mud
on the tires!

(MY DOCUMENTS from my desktop)

My Documents > Flight Simulator Files {or same place as you have it listed above}

No Default File Listed

and i just checked the FS9.CFG file burried in C:/application data... yada yada yada...... there is no [UserInterface] section in the .cfg

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:50am

Opa   Offline
Colonel
Fly FS
Plano, Texas

Another thing you might check -

Right click on your FS9.cfg file and select properties.

If the "read only" attribute is checked, remove that check mark.

You can also remove the "hidden" attribute also - just to make finding the file easier in the future.

Mine has both attributes removed and I have never had a problem changing the default flight to something else I have saved.

One word of caution however:  If you are succesful in changing the default flight, remember that if you should ever remove (delete) the aircraft which is called for, you will most likely get a CTD as the sim cannot find the aircraft required.

Most often it will load a substutute and allow you to fly but will crash when the flight is over.  At least that has been my experience.

David "Opa" Marshall
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:56am

Capt.Propwash   Offline
Colonel
Let's get a little mud
on the tires!

Show hidden files and folders, and FS9.cfg "read only" are already UNMARKED.  I can write to the .cfg if i wanted it, as i have already changed the TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21

DOH!!!!! i went and looked again... lol im stuipd and cant read.... here we go.....

[USERINTERFACE]
MAP_ORIENTATION=2
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
PageID=3
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SITUATION=
SelectFlightLevel=0
SelectFlightTitle=0
DisplayFuelAsWeight=1

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 11:04am

Opa   Offline
Colonel
Fly FS
Plano, Texas

Capt.Propwash wrote on Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:46am:
(MY DOCUMENTS from my desktop)

My Documents > Flight Simulator Files {or same place as you have it listed above}

No Default File Listed

and i just checked the FS9.CFG file burried in C:/application data... yada yada yada...... there is no [UserInterface] section in the .cfg

Not sure what to tell you as both items are in place on my setup.  Are you sure you looked at the correct path for the "default" flight?  Re-read my other post please.

As the the UserInterface label, this is what I have:

[USERINTERFACE]
MAP_ORIENTATION=2
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
PageID=3
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SITUATION=C:\Documents and Settings\Opa\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Southwest at KDAL 13R
SelectFlightLevel=0
SelectFlightTitle=0
DisplayFuelAsWeight=0
FSLiveURL=www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/product/fsliveweb.asp

It it is really not there then I would suggest renaming your FS9.cfg file to something like FS0.cfg BAK.

Then start FS2004 and it will build a fresh new FS9.cfg file with all of the original default settings. 

David "Opa" Marshall
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 11:22am

Opa   Offline
Colonel
Fly FS
Plano, Texas

I do remember that on rare occasions in the past I have needed to do the "save and make this the default flight" more than once in order for it to be properly recorded.  That happened only on rare occasions though.

If worst comes to worst you can try manually editing your FS9.cfg file and putting the path and flightname data in the situation= line.

Once again here is what I am using:

Your User Name would be different of course as would be the actual name of the saved flight you want to use.

Worth a try ?   Roll Eyes

David "Opa" Marshall
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print