Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Weather In FS9 Kills me (Read 11797 times)
Feb 25th, 2004 at 12:55am

Bijan77   Offline
Colonel
Realworld Pilot: COMM
IFR/ MULTI-COMM MULTI
IFR
Bay Area

Alright so heres the deal,

I have a P4 3.06HT, 1gig dual channel ram, Geforce FX5200 card. I have been playin around with the sim and have one problem i cant seem to fix. When there are clouds my frames drop down to around 10-14, when its clear i have it locked at 30FPS and it stays right at that. Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 1:37am

Delta_   Offline
Colonel
Woah!
London, UK

Reduce the cloud density, that will stop you losing a load of fps when you go through them.  60% should do it.  Reduce the distance they are drawn aswell.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2006 at 9:37am by Delta_ »  

My system:Intel Q6600@3.6GHz, Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2-6400 (4-4-4-12-1T) , Sapphire 7850 OC 2BG 920/5000, X-Fi Fatality, Corsair AX 750, 7 Pro x64
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 10:52am

Jared   Offline
Colonel
I'd rather be flying...
Uniontown, Ohio

you too huh? I reduced me settings and am getting upwards of 40-50 even in severe weather..Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 11:11am

Fly2e   Offline
Global Moderator
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere!
KFRG

Hello Bijan and welcome to Simv!! Grin
If you really want to know why clouds cause you such a hit in frame rates than you would have to investigate how truly difficult it is to create a transparent 3d object that transforms itself on a continuous basis and than be able to have create and recreate itself over and over at high rates of speed all over the world.
Kind of impossible and obviously very processor intensive.

There are downloads available that make the clouds less dense and still look great. Check the downloads section and good luck!

Dave

Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor 965, 4.2GHz/8MB L3 Cache, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel X58 Chipset Cross
Fire & SLI Supported, Mushkin Redline 6GB (3X2GB) Memory, eVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Vista 64.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 11:23am

congo   Offline
Colonel
Make BIOS your Friend
Australia

Contrary to popular belief, the FX5200 is a weak graphics card for ACOF.   Lips Sealed

If you plan on flying around clouds, you'll need to turn off antialiasing to get flyable frame rates. (turn it off in your driver setting)

You shouldn't need to lock the FPS with a 3ghz cpu either.

...Mainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24" WS LCD
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 11:34am
EA_KATL   Ex Member

I am doing really well with the 5200fx with clouds settings on low.and the clouds still look great.and getting 25 to 30 fps.with everything eles is on high setting.

heres the way i have mine set.

site distance 60 MI
cloud draw distance 30 MI
3D cloud percent 20
cloud coverage medium.
and i dont even have the cloud fix thats been spoken of.if i did i could probley turn things up even more and still get 25 to 30 FPS with the nvidia 5200fx.and what ever you do DONT turn off antialiasing on the video card like has been said or everything will look like crap.i would turn antialiasing off in the sim settings and set antialiasing on 2Q in the hardware setting and test it.but the 5200 is doing a fine job for me.and glad i bought it. Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2004 at 12:35pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 12:01pm

svenpurple7   Offline
Colonel
So they have the internet
on computers now, eh?
here

Do I sense another Nvidia/ATI battle coming on? Grin Grin Grin
I love to read those.  They are so funny. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 1:40pm

Bijan77   Offline
Colonel
IFR/ MULTI-COMM MULTI
IFR
Bay Area

Thanks for all your help guys, One more question, When you say i shouldnt lock the frames with a 3ghz computer, have many people out there with them dont lock it? i have it set at 30fps currently. EA_KATL thanks a lot those settings did help.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 2:01pm

MichaelH   Offline
Colonel

"I have a P4 3.06HT, 1gig dual channel ram"

saddling that kind of system with an FX 5200  is kind of like putting regular gas in a Maserati.

Do yourself a favor and get a card that will let you get out of ACOF most of what MS put into it.

Like an FX 5700  or equivalent ATI card (or better).

I would agree with Congo re turning off antialiasing. I have used an FX 5200 and in my experience any antialiasing cripples performance and rusults in a major frame rate hit with that card unless you are running at very low resolution.

Re: locking the frame rates, I would leave it at 25 to 30 with the FX5200.
If you had a better video card with a more powerful VPU it would be different.
This is my opinion only and no doubt many will disagree.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 3:26pm

Bijan77   Offline
Colonel
IFR/ MULTI-COMM MULTI
IFR
Bay Area

Any opinions on Graphics cards. This one i got for free but it looks like to get the full potential out of my system with the game (the only thing i use this computer for) is to get a better card. btw wut is AOFC??

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 3:42pm

svenpurple7   Offline
Colonel
So they have the internet
on computers now, eh?
here

Quote:
btw wut is AOFC??

ACOF = "A Century Of Flight"
Wink

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 4:10pm

Bijan77   Offline
Colonel
IFR/ MULTI-COMM MULTI
IFR
Bay Area

What about if i were to get a FX5700 with 256MP ram. Once again on clear days it runs fine, but once clouds get in performance isnt as good

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 5:43pm

Delta_   Offline
Colonel
Woah!
London, UK

The Radeon 9800xt is the fastest card available, it will do a system like that justice.

My system:Intel Q6600@3.6GHz, Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2-6400 (4-4-4-12-1T) , Sapphire 7850 OC 2BG 920/5000, X-Fi Fatality, Corsair AX 750, 7 Pro x64
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 5:46pm

Scottler   Offline
Colonel
Albany, New York USA

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, the FX5200 is a weak graphics card for ACOF.

How does that work, anyway?  If it's not good, it wouldn't become popular belief, would it? Wink

Great edit, Bob.&&&&&&Google it. &&&&www.google.com
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 6:32pm

Politically Incorrect   Offline
Colonel
Personal opinion given
free of charge!
Williamsport, PA

I think Congo has had a bad experiance with the 5200. But don't tease too much or that damn card comparison chart will show itself again Grin Grin

I have the 5200 running on a basic Dell Dimension 4500 computer with a extra 512MB of RAM as my only other upgrade and it rocks!!
I have all the settings close to maxed out and I get a consistent frame rate even with clouds maxed out completly!! So it is obvious that they work different on different computers, just because the card sucks on one doesn't mean it will on another!
I also think it has allot to do with what other programs you have that may be running in the background (and with XP there is allot of stuff running without you knowing it) I shut down everything while flying maybe that is why I can max out my clouds with absolutly little or no drop in frame rates. I also have my FPS locked at 30.

I think that it is all in the mind, if you spend a fortune on a grapics card your mind makes you think you sim is running better than the guy that paid less than $100. Grin Grin
Hell the way companies work today it is probably the same damn card as my measly little 5200, but came in a different box with a higher price Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print