Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Weather In FS9 Kills me (Read 11808 times)
Reply #30 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 2:32am

MichaelH   Offline
Colonel

"How much of a difference would it be if i got the ATI 9800pro with 128mb vs. a card with 256mb?"

I would agree with FaxCap.
I don't have experience myself, but I have a couple of friends with 9800 pros. they both are running fs9 wide open pretty well at high resolution and 6X antialiasing with great frame rates and astounding image quality.  They both have the 128 meg. models.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 3:47am

Bijan77   Offline
Colonel
Realworld Pilot: COMM
IFR/ MULTI-COMM MULTI
IFR
Bay Area

looks like i will be ordering the 9800pro this weekend thanks for your help everyone. And it is true what silver1swa was saying. i have a better proccessor than he does but his system was running it much crisper than mine due to that graphics card. My clouds are at 20% and it still slows down, his are at 90% and it holds a solid 30. I cant wait to see what mine gets when i get the 9800 in  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 10:31am
EA_KATL   Ex Member

What kind of prices are you all seeing on the ATI 9800.256mb.the lowest i have seen it is $500 us dollars whitch is out of my budget range.and the ATI 9600 is $200 us dollars and i heard that its so close to the performance of my ge force 5200fx thats it not worth paying the $100 us dollars diffrence to get that one.but from the looks of things the one that i may be able to afford is the Nvidia 5700 ultra.its $219 us dollars.and i only buy name brand no PNY or any non name brands like that.and i dont buy from anywhere i cant return it like ebay.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2004 at 3:44pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 1:57pm

Bijan77   Offline
Colonel
IFR/ MULTI-COMM MULTI
IFR
Bay Area

The 9800 256mb is still at $500. Im going to see what the 9800pro is today. I was thinking about ebay, but i would like to have the option of returing it also...

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 3:41pm
EA_KATL   Ex Member

I wouldnt buy at ebay i have heard there overclocked burnt up cards thats not worth bringing home.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 10:04pm

Bijan77   Offline
Colonel
IFR/ MULTI-COMM MULTI
IFR
Bay Area

Get this,

I was flying a customer at my work up to Redding California a week ago and we got to talking about the flight sim. I was telling him how well my new computer ran is besides the fact of the weather. I was telling him i was considering the 9700Pro 128mb. I landed let him out and that was that. Five days later i come into work and there was this package from him, so i open it up and it was the 9700 card  Shocked
I put it in and o man was i amazed. Even though i didnt pay for it, it would have been well worth the money. My system now severs itself justice. If only everyone in the world was this generous.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 11:38pm

4meratc   Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I run a ATI9800pro and have installed the latest Catyst 6.3 suite and it made a world of difference for weather.(ASUS K8V-SE, AMD64, 3000+, 1 gig pc3200, WD sata HD)

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 11:46pm
Jakemaster   Ex Member

Is there a reason this was dug up? its more than 2 years old!

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:55am

Chris_F   Offline
Colonel
Insert message here

Quote:
Alright so heres the deal,

I have a P4 3.06HT, 1gig dual channel ram, Geforce FX5200 card. I have been playin around with the sim and have one problem i cant seem to fix. When there are clouds my frames drop down to around 10-14, when its clear i have it locked at 30FPS and it stays right at that. Any suggestions?

I had almost identical performance with my almost identical system (P4 2.8G, FX5200).  The key is not using 3D clouds.  Set all your clouds to 2D, make them as simple as possible.  Turn the density and draw distance way down.  It'll look bad, but that's what you're stuck with.

I upgraded to an InVidia GF 6800GS.  Now I can max out almost everything, including clounds.  The only "problem" is I have to either turn down the draw distance on the clouds or back the AutoGen density down a couple notches to keep frame rates up when flying in bad weather over cities.  Otherwise I can keep things pretty much cranked.

That vid card is pretty weak.  I thought memory size was the key to vid cards but I was wrong.  My 128M FX5200 was WAY outclassed by my 256M 6800.  Processor is important and the 6xxx series inVidia is just SOOO much more card than the FX5xxx series cards.

Not sure about the ATi's.  Just never used 'em.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 8:34am

garymbuska   Offline
Colonel
I would rather be flying
Jacksonville, Florida

If you really want graphics that scream than purchase the 7800GS from Nvida. For now it is the top of the line for the AGP slot. You will have to have a minimun of a 450 watt power supply and more than likely a descent tower type of a case as this card is not what you would call small the fan that is on this monster is huge. You might even have to move your hard drive down a few bays so you can plug it in as it takes up a lot of space.
Oh by the way you can get the card from www.tigerdirect.com for a mere $309.00.
Compusa wants $349.99 for the same card.
My son just bought this card and a 600 watt power supply to go with it it barely fit into his tower and he has one of those nice towers that have the quick relase drive bays. It was a tight fit, there is no way you could put this into a mini tower or a compact system it simply would not fit. 8)

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 11:24am

Ashar   Ex Member
Forza Lazio!!

Quote:
Is there a reason this was dug up? its more than 2 years old!

Yeah...what's up with that? ???

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 2:49pm

beefhole   Offline
Colonel
common' yigs!
Philadelphia

TOPIC IS TWO YEARS OLD PLEASE DON'T MAKE FOOLS OF YOURSELVES Wink Grin

buddy, why on earth would you dig this up? ???

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:47pm

Chris_F   Offline
Colonel
Insert message here

Quote:
TOPIC IS TWO YEARS OLD PLEASE DON'T MAKE FOOLS OF YOURSELVES Wink Grin

buddy, why on earth would you dig this up? ???

I responded to the post before realizing it was REALLY old.  I hate when people dig stuff up from the long dead archives, and I guess I contributed a bit to the foolery.  At the least I guess it's a little picture in to life back in 2004...

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 8:52pm

beefhole   Offline
Colonel
common' yigs!
Philadelphia

Quote:
I responded to the post before realizing it was REALLY old.  I hate when people dig stuff up from the long dead archives, and I guess I contributed a bit to the foolery.  At the least I guess it's a little picture in to life back in 2004...

Of course, it's a completely undertsandable mistake-I've made a habit of checking dates.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print