Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Update: Stupid Idiot Guide's to gMax (Read 9053 times)
Feb 9th, 2003 at 6:26pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
Admin
FINALLY an official Granddad!
Orlando, FL

From Hugh Shoult's : Posted elsewhere:
I've done a big update to my Tutorial--The Stupid Idiots' Guide to starting with gMax--in the last few weeks. Just thought I'd let everyone know. Let me know if you find any mistakes!

http://web.archive.org/web/20120814091139/http://www.simviation.com/gryphon/tuto...

Thanks to everyone here who's helped!

Hugh
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2013 at 7:52am by pete »  

Felix/FFDS...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2003 at 10:26am

Blade   Offline
Colonel
Annapolis, MD

Wow thanks, I got pretty much all I need to start my MiG-27K, time to open up the old GMAX.

...&&&&Dell 4550&&P4 2.53Ghz &&512MB DDR SDRAM&&GeForceFX 5900 129MB&&60GB HD @ 7200RPM &&PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2003 at 10:25pm
ViNtAgE FlYa   Ex Member

gret for stupid idiots like me....!!

Grin Grin Cheesy Wink
cheers

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2003 at 3:12am

NJDEVILS   Offline
Colonel
BELL MAN!!!!!!!!!!!
New York

I am a stupid idiot to Gmax Duhhhhhh Grin

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2003 at 3:22am

plainsman2   Offline
Colonel
Middle of Nebraska

Hi Felix,
let me know if you ever get a version for REALLY stupid idiots with zilch art talent. I used to have negative art talent (on a scale of 1 to 10 I was -2), but I actually skinned a few things for MSTS, so I am up to zero now.
Bob

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 7:41pm

deadnight   Offline
Colonel
Georgia, USA

I'm not sure if I fully qualify to be an 'idiot' since this tutorial is still a bit over my head  Grin

Seriously it's a great tutorial.. the only problems I have is when you say I need to do something I have to figure out what damn button to push in gmax to do it. Then afer pushing the wrong buttons I end up having to create a new file and start all over again because I've screwed everything up. Then repeat until I find what I have to push. Heh, I thought flash mx was confusing  Roll Eyes

This is cool though. I appreciate it that you took the time to write the tutorial. Thanks.

ASUS P4C800 Deluxe &&Geforce FX5900 Ultra(256 MB)&&1 gig DDR PC3200 RAM&&Pentium 4, 3.0 GHZ, 800 mhz FSB&&Coolermaster 550 watt power supply&&----------------------------&&<-3dmark03 =
->
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2003 at 8:13pm

Polynomial   Offline
Colonel
Health is merely the slowest
possible way to die.
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
I'm not sure if I fully qualify to be an 'idiot' since this tutorial is still a bit over my head  Grin

Seriously it's a great tutorial.. the only problems I have is when you say I need to do something I have to figure out what damn button to push in gmax to do it. Then afer pushing the wrong buttons I end up having to create a new file and start all over again because I've screwed everything up. Then repeat until I find what I have to push. Heh, I thought flash mx was confusing  Roll Eyes

This is cool though. I appreciate it that you took the time to write the tutorial. Thanks.

same here, still got a long way to go! Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 7:17am

Hellhound   Offline
Colonel
somewhere

yea, you should make a stupid idiot's guide to painting... i have no idea what it meant (but then again, i have never really liked reading instructions)

...&&&&well of course! i'm trying to hit them!&&&&always fight fire with fire... because you get a bigger one!
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 5:55pm

Scottler   Offline
Colonel
Albany, New York USA

I must be really dumb, because I thought the SIG to gMax was beyond me as well.

Also, I was a bit intimidated by one of the opening lines of "I'm going to assume you have some familiarity with designing, but have never used gMax, 3d Studio, or 3D Max..."

What about those of us who have no experience in a/c design?  Is there something for morons like  us?

Great edit, Bob.&&&&&&Google it. &&&&www.google.com
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 8:03pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
Admin
FINALLY an official Granddad!
Orlando, FL

Quote:
What about those of us who have no experience in a/c design?  Is there something for morons like  us?

It's called "do the gmax tutorials first" .. Smiley

WooHooo!

Felix/FFDS...
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 12:53pm

Scottler   Offline
Colonel
Albany, New York USA

Oh I've been through tons of tutorials.  None of them seemed to cater to the entry level crowd.  (None that I could find anyway.)

I did, however, successfully make an animated landing gear once.  lol

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 11:33pm

data65   Offline
Colonel
If Gmax says it can't
be done....CHEAT!! !!
Joplin, Mo.

Not true. I came into Gmax cold , and built a jet solely from reading tutorials like this one. As a matter of fact, if this one had been around at that time it would have taken me half the time and would have looked much better. Still it ain't bad. Search for "ampjet" on any of the sites. It has a panel, VC, all moving parts, reflective textures, float points, and opening doors. All done by reading tutorials. She aint the prettiest thing on the block, but she's not bad for a first project.
    The trick is to plan the thing first. Then decide which part to make first and find a tutorial for that. When that's complete, move on to the next thing and find a tutorial for that...ect... . Don't try to learn how to build an entire plane before you build it because your brain will explode! 
     Here's the best part. When you finally get the project completed you will know how to build a complete plane! Also, take notes as you go so you will have a reference on all of the harder procedures.
     Hope this helps ya out.
                                       John

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 8:38pm

Scottler   Offline
Colonel
Albany, New York USA

But what resources are needed?  See what I mean?  To me, an Idiot's guide, regardless of the subject material, should include the very basic things.  Things like what 3-views are (I know, but some don't), where to find them, how to use them in the program, etc....

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 3:30am

forfun   Offline
Colonel

Quote:
None of them seemed to cater to the entry level crowd

Exactly

I havent actually done the SIG tutorial so i have nothing against it.

But i agree with Hyperion, tutorials are often written by people who have forgotten how hard it is for a begginer, and unwittingly assume you know where to find things or know what something means.

Having said that, i do admire the time people put in to tutorials and thank them for that

Cheers
forfun Grin

Now if something goes without saying, then why do people say it??&&&&http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/04fs/MP/9320.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 4:48am

Milton   Offline
Colonel
Props forever!

Begin at the beginning and take it one thing at a time.

Get gmax installed, learn the product basics, do the tutorials in gmax.  These introduce you to the basic tools.  Use the gmax Help to understand terms and processes.

Once through the tutorials, you have enough exposure to take on the SIG.

There is no rushing the learning process.  You master it one step at a time just like any major project, like building a house.  There are lots of tools, lots of disciplines, trades, and you take each one as they come.

Think of it as a journey, not a trip to the convenience store.  Each milestone is an accomplishment, a reward, and when you get to the destination, you will be a different person, more knowledgeable, more confident, and now, a contributor of aircraft or scenery.

There are many who went before you, without the SIG or other nice tutorials.  They did it.  You can do it. Smiley

You have gmax, the first major tool.  Get started on the built in tutorials.  Give yourself 30-45 days just doing that.  The investment pays off through the rest of the journey.

Good luck; have fun. Smiley

Milton&&Dash 7, Aero Commanders, Howard 500, D18S, Spartan, XP47J, Beechcraft A28 (Grizzly)
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print