Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
gmax to FS2002 (Read 2715 times)
Nov 17th, 2002 at 8:00pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
Admin
FINALLY an official Granddad!
Orlando, FL

#1 - You NEED to have FS2002 Professional Edition to get a model from gmax to FS2002.

From Firestrikers recent post:

If you have FS2002Pro and have done a full install, you should have a file named FSModelExp.dle. This is the export plugin. Copy it as well as makemdl.exe from your
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS2002\gmax\Flightsim\plugins
folder to your
C:\gmax\plugins
folder.
Of course, if you are using the makemdl.exe from the SDK you would only have to copy FSModelExp.dle over but you MUST have FSModelExp.dle to export at all.

#2 Dennis Simanaitis'  12-steps  (TIPS Section of FFDS)

FROM GMAX TO FS2002 IN 12 1/2 EASY STEPS

First, let's make sure we're "on the same page." When I installed FS2002 Pro, its GMax elements got scattered around a bit, but here's what I have now: a separate GMax folder in the computer's root directory (in mine, C:/GMax). Among other things, this GMax folder has a subfolder called Flightsim (containing one file, gmax.ini). It also has a subfolder called Gamepacks, itself with subfolder FlightSim (containing two crucial files,  imagetool.exe and makemdl.exe).

The example which follows uses the P38 tutorial, accessed from the Help menu of GMax.

1. Make sure your folder and file structure has the items noted above, namely GMax/Flightsim/gmax.ini and GMax/Gamepacks/Flightsim/imagetool.exe and
GMax/Gamepacks/Flightsim/makemdl.exe. You may have to move these files from your FS2002 folder; that's where I found them after installation.

2. I fire up GMax and bring up my final version of the model.

3. In the File pulldown, I click on Export.

4. I navigate through the destination to get it exported to FS2002/Aircraft, and name it P38.

5. The software sets up the p38.mdl in FS2002/Aircraft.

Still to be done is setting up the necessary  folder/subfolder/file structure for the plane. I follow the pattern for any other plane there.

6. Set up a p38 folder in FS2002/Aircraft with two of the four required four subfolders, Model and Texture.

7. Copy/Paste any similar aircraft.cfg file into the p38 folder. Open this aircraft.cfg file using Notepad and change its model and sim name to p38.
(Other changes can be made for description and flight dynamics as well, but they're not necessary to get the p38 appearing in FS2002. It'll just behave like the other plane.)

8. Copy/Paste an .air file from any other appropriate plane. Rename it p38.air.

9. Copy/Paste any appropriate model.cfg file. Open it with Notepad and change its name to p38.

10. Copy/Paste any appropriate Panel and Sound folders into the P38 folder.

11. Check that the format has been followed: p38 folder, four subfolders, Model, Panel, Sound and Texture.

a. Model contains p38.mdl and model.cfg.
b. Panel and Sound are "as-pasted."
c. Texture is empty (and hence the plane will appear with default GMax colors).

d. Also in the p38 folder are p38.air and aircraft.cfg.

That's it. The plane "appears" in the sim (with two oddities that are sort of fun and easy to remedy on future projects).

12. As they say in textbooks, "The solution is left to the reader." If you're like me, you'll get two laughs out of these. Hint: One has to do with the Calibration Box; the other has to do with the P38 Tutorial's Background Top
View.

12 1/2. If you're done laughing, the Calibration Box should be deleted in GMax before you Export (hiding it is apparently not enough). Second, the tutorial has the plane's Top View pointed downward and this seems to make it appear flying backwards in FS2002. To fix, return to GMax and rotate the entire plane in Top View, Save, reExport. To fix permanently, always show your plane pointing up in Top View.

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2003 at 12:34pm by pete »  

Felix/FFDS...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2002 at 5:05am

Doug_A   Offline
Colonel
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thanks Felix for this much-needed information.
Installing the FS2002 Gamepack & activating the Gmax Export option seems to confuse most people.
I find Chris File's method by far the easiest. http://thegreatptmd.tripod.com/exporter/expoerror.htm#gpinstalled

I think the best way to explain it is with a pic.
NOTE. You must have a registered version of Gmax + a full install of FS2002 Professional Edition.
In Windows Explorer, navigate to the FS2002\gmax\Flightsim folder.

Copy/Paste the contents into the Gmax main directory folder. (The default location is C:\gmax.)
Overwrite files/folders when prompted.

This simple procedure ensures the FS2002 Gamepack is properly installed. The Gmax File/Export option should be active next time you run the program.

Once you manage to export your project in MDL format you need to get it into FS2002.
My Dummy Aircraft Container folder might make it a little easier.
http://www.simviation.com/fsdesign_gmax.htm

I hope this is some help to all you budding aircraft designers.  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2002 at 2:05pm by Doug_A »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2002 at 8:58am

McLovin   Offline
Colonel
OOrah Marine Corps.!!!!
Houston, Texas

FELIX WHEN I EXPORTED IT DIDN'T MAKE A .MDL FILE IT MADE A P3D FILE WHAT HAPPEND.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2002 at 9:36am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
Admin
Orlando, FL

You chose the wrong export file type.

Quote:
FELIX WHEN I EXPORTED IT DIDN'T MAKE A .MDL FILE IT MADE A P3D FILE WHAT HAPPEND.

Felix/FFDS...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2002 at 4:02pm

EirePlane   Offline
Colonel
London, UK

if I download the makemdl sdk from the microsoft website can I do this in standard edition

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2002 at 4:23pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
Admin
Orlando, FL

No.  To make FS2002 planes with gmax you need the converters from the FS20002 Professional Edition.

makemdl alone doesn't do it for FS2002.

Quote:
if I download the makemdl sdk from the microsoft website can I do this in standard edition

Felix/FFDS...
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2003 at 12:37pm

ALBASIC_Dude   Offline
2nd Lieutenant
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hey Felix,

Every time I try to export my model, it tells me that it can't convert the file or it can't find makemdl.exe. HELP!

-ALBASIC Dude

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 4:29am

EirePlane   Offline
Colonel
London, UK

I have the same problem as above. It just makes a .file, .asm and .txt

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2003 at 12:22pm

Buda   Offline
Colonel
First to Fight/First to
Strike
Lemoore California

Hi all,

I have had this problem also but I found that if you look at the text file that is generated and I think that it is called log.txt, it will tell you why it could not fine makemdl. I found that in Gmax that error is in error. It did find it but could not convert your model do to some issues that you might have in making it. Generally I find that a model will not convert because of too many vertacies.

As an Added bonus I found that the makemdl.sdk has a new version of Makemdl. I was having some problems with adding lights to my model and found out that the version that I was using did not support it.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2003 at 10:18am

Erez   Offline
Colonel
In winter 2004... He is
back - in white! IAI
Lavi
israel

I have most of the problems mentioned above, and I know how to solve them, but although the method that I'm using is fixing the problem, it destroys my model, and I really hate it!
Good thing I test it now instead of finishing it up and seeing it then. I never thought that importing model is a big deal..... but it is, and I'm really perplexed..... Sad

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2003 at 8:24am
hikriken   Guest

Quote:
You chose the wrong export file type.

I ve got  problem Makemdl does not work well and gmax doesnot expot my model
what soul dido

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2003 at 12:56pm
hikariken   Guest

I have installed FS2002 profesional edition copletely. but in gmax directories does not appear the files. only the folders are present. so I run winzip and I unzip the files Gmax.cab in the 2nd disk. I have got the gamepack files I copy in my gmax main directory as said at the start of topic. but as I try to expot my model in .MDL it always saying that Makemdl is not found orMakeMDL can't convert the files in .MDL. an I have some files without type. I dont understand because I have got the last version of gmax and all files that are needed.
what should i do?

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2003 at 2:33pm

bm   Offline
Colonel
UK

Hi, I have bought MSCOF which has GMAX, are all the nessesery files included in the game CD, or do I have to get something else?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2003 at 3:33pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
Admin
Orlando, FL

AT THIS TIME you still need the FS2K2 Pro edition converter.  Only gmax 1.2 is included in the FS-ACOF/FS9 Disc 1.

I think it is reasonable to expect that Microsoft will issue an SDK including an FS9 converter and makemdl.exe.

So if you only have FS9 and gmax, no, you cannot export to FS9.

Quote:
Hi, I have bought MSCOF which has GMAX, are all the nessesery files included in the game CD, or do I have to get something else?

Felix/FFDS...
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 10:46am

Josh   Offline
Captain

Ok, this is the short short version of the story...   Talked to Microsoft yesterday about the fsmodelexp.dle file (I have 2002 std & 2004 full).  The rep said that I should check forums for the file and that it was ok to download it.  Rep also said that he was not certain that 2004 version of sdk would be released.  .    Don't know who's it is, but it's out there, prob for a limited time.  
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2003 at 11:46am by Felix/FFDS »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print