Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HEADS UP> on latest Nvidia beta drivers   (Read 8351 times)
Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:00am

NickN   Offline
Colonel
FSX runs fine... the problem
is you or your system

I would suggest not using version 169.21. These drivers have issues with different games and also have problems missing certain resolution scales.

I was asked to check them out and also found a significant loss of smooth performance in FSX.

If you are running SP2/Accleration, I recommend you use/stay on beta driver 169.09 or 169.13.

169.09 and 169.13 are the same driver except 13 has a bug fix which does not affect FSX.

You can obtain a copy of Nvidia Beta drivers and different revisions, here:

XP x32
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10

XP x64
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=28

VISTA  (32 and 64 bit listed in same list)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=32

Make SURE you click the right version for your OS (x32 or x64) and the right revision number

For now use 169.09 or 169.13 only

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 3:49pm

Celtman   Offline
Colonel
Where has all the Marmalade
gone?
Warrington

Just downloaded 169.13 driver, and FSX and FS9 no longer work Sad

As soon as a flight is started, I get an error box, asking to send an error report. FS then restarts, and does the same again. The files affected are all files in my C:/Documents And Settings / Name / Application Data / Microsoft / FS9 (or FSX)

Any ideas? To do with the new drivers?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 3:56pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

Celtman wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 3:49pm:
Just downloaded 169.13 driver, and FSX and FS9 no longer work Sad

As soon as a flight is started, I get an error box, asking to send an error report. FS then restarts, and does the same again. The files affected are all files in my C:/Documents And Settings / Name / Application Data / Microsoft / FS9 (or FSX)

Any ideas? To do with the new drivers?

No reports on that coming up

You did uninstall the old driver first, reboot and instal the new driver allowing it to install past the Windows driver cert screen, correct?

If so, uninstall .13 and try .09

I have not read any reports of MSFS start failures on any of those drivers, including the ones I warned not to use

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:15pm

Celtman   Offline
Colonel
gone?
Warrington

NickN wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 3:56pm:
You did uninstall the old driver first, reboot and install the new driver allowing it to install past the Windows driver cert screen, correct?

Yes, uninstalling .13 and trying .09 now, will report back what happens.

Regards,
Celtman Cool

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:22pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

yes, please let me know whats happens.

you may wish to use the driver cleaner program I posted, in safe mode in your case. There may be something in your system that is refusing to register or unregister

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:23pm

alrot   Offline
Colonel
Freeware Designers Above
All..

Just a question Nick..is this goes only for SLI or there's something for my agp NVIDIA 163.75?

Venezuela
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:25pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

Alejandro Rhodes wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:23pm:
Just a question Nick..is this goes only for SLI or there's something for my agp NVIDIA 163.75?

this has nothing to do with SLi. these drivers are geard for better SP2 performance, including DX10

Your older card may or may not like them Alex

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 5:23pm

alrot   Offline
Colonel
Freeware Designers Above
All..

NickN wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:25pm:

Nice thanks so much Buddy, you did hit in the nail again  I download the 169.09 and now its running better ,the first thing I saw was that the buildings are already there from a long distances ,I never saw this before ! you know that they began to show when your about a mile ,suddenly a buildings, one by one appears like magic in front of you, BUT now is not happening anymore  Cheesy

Take alook the buildings in long distances

Check my Frame rate,.. My autogen & complexity is now in dense  Cool

Venezuela
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 8:11pm

macca22au   Offline
Colonel
There are no old and bold
pilots
Melbourne, Australia

Due to a fault, my 8800GTX is being tested under warranty, and I am slumming it with a 7950.

However the 8800 (hopefully a new substitute) will be back in mid January.  What chance these DX10 betas will be replaced by a full WHQL driver?  Or are we faced with a long wait until all this beta testing is completed?

Come on Nvidia get with the programme.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:03pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

macca22au wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 8:11pm:
Due to a fault, my 8800GTX is being tested under warranty, and I am slumming it with a 7950.

However the 8800 (hopefully a new substitute) will be back in mid January.  What chance these DX10 betas will be replaced by a full WHQL driver?  Or are we faced with a long wait until all this beta testing is completed?

Come on Nvidia get with the programme.

Those beta drivers will work for the 7950

you just wont have DX10 support.

Mid january?   gezzzz for the money you have spent with him the guy should have just ordered you a new one and dropped shipped in right away.

If that were me, I would have sent a few of the boys over to talk to him about it

wassamattayou?

replacea-tha-mans-card!        

Alejandro Rhodes wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 5:23pm:
NickN wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:25pm:

Nice thanks so much Buddy, you did hit in the nail again  I download the 169.09 and now its running better ,the first thing I saw was that the buildings are already there from a long distances ,I never saw this before ! you know that they began to show when your about a mile ,suddenly a buildings, one by one appears like magic in front of you, BUT now is not happening anymore  Cheesy

Take alook the buildings in long distances
[img]
[img]

Check my Frame rate,.. My autogen & complexity is now in dense  Cool

Glad they helped Alex. I thought they may because that is what the reports I have been reading indicate. Like any driver, you just never know the outcome because of all the different combinations of chipsets and cards on the market.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007 at 1:26am by NickN »  
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:53am

Wingo   Offline
Colonel
Your marmalade is no match
for my VEGEMITE!!
YSBK. Back where I belong.

Thanks for the heads up! I was just about to install the latest drivers Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 4:29pm

Celtman   Offline
Colonel
gone?
Warrington

Sorry for taking so long to get back with information on updating the driver - exams have been on top of me Angry

Anyway, I have used the Driver Cleaner Utility to remove all old drivers, unintsalled old nHancer, basically followed your guide exactly.
After installing 169.09, the same errors are occurring as with 169.13. These errors have only started after the installation of the new drivers. Here is a screenshot of the error report:

Same errors in FS9, with the same files affected (although the FS9 versions, not the FSX versions).

Any ideas on the cause / how to solve (preferably without a re-install).
Specs are in the sig if needed.

Kindest Regards,
Celtman Cool

Update: Uninstalled nHancer to see if that was the root cause, still the same problems Sad
In FS9 I get a few seconds of flight (up to 10), before the screen goes black and tries to restart.

Another update: If I pause the sim, I can leave it for 15+miniutes and there is no shutdown / restart, but as soon as I resume the sim, it cuts out. Task manager shows CPU usage spiking to 100% on both cores on both FS9 and FSX about 1 second before FS shuts down. The CPU usage then falls to 0%, and the program is shown as "not responding". Memory usage if fine, staying at around 500mb used for FS9 and 1.2Gb used for FSX

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:26pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

Alright, let’s drop back to the 20 and punt

Uninstall the betas and go back to the latest official release.

If it is still acting up on the official drivers then there is something else a-miss. No one is reporting the issue you are seeing in any of the forums I scan and there are guite a few running the beta drivers so let’s get you back to the official WHQL drivers and see what happens.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html

You did not flush or uninstall your motherboard drivers, correct?

here are the latest intel P35 chipset drivers for your motherboard in case you may need them

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=816&DwnldID=145...

you can install those right over the ones you now have installed without any problems

Also, I assume you do have the latest DirectX update installed
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a...

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:37pm

Celtman   Offline
Colonel
gone?
Warrington

Thanks for the advice and links Nick.  Smiley

I will follow tomorrow, as it is getting late here, and I have my Information Technology and Geography exams tomorrow, so I will change tomorrow and update you then. Hopefully everything will work fine. I can't see what else it could be if it isn't the drivers, as that is all I have changed in the past few days.

I did not flush or uninstall my motherboard drivers, they have not changed since I installed the board. I have downloaded the new driver from the link you posted and will install tomorrow.

Also, I do have the latest version of DirectX installed.

Kindest Regards,
Celtman Cool

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:44pm

Celtman   Offline
Colonel
gone?
Warrington

Minor update:

Just tried FS without any drivers installed, same problem.... Perhaps not a driver problem?

Regards,
Celtman Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print