Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
Send Topic Print
FS Autostart or Cacheman in FSX??? (Read 6286 times)
Reply #165 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 6:08pm

macca22au   Offline
Colonel
There are no old and bold
pilots
Melbourne, Australia

But how on earth will any of us poor naifs ever know what to buy, seeing that we have to get the full combination right - chipset, GPU and CPU:  or all in ones, or nearly all in ones.  And what if we mix brands?  Can Intel live in the same box as an ATI card or will an electronic divorce occur?

No don't answer but some time around the end of the year those of us without knowledge, wisdom or sense will put our money down and find that someone else is getting vastly greater performance with a different combo.

It's like going into McDonalds to make a choice, or Starbucks - fear, uncertainty and dithering will overwhelm us.  At least if we eat or drink something we dislike, nature takes care of itl

Computers are for keeps - or at least six months!

Or will it be just more 'mines bigger than yours' stuff.

IP Logged

Reply #166 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 12:29am

macca22au   Offline
Colonel
pilots
Melbourne, Australia

Sorry to post again:  I have re-read the performance approach setout by NickN and would love to apply it but....I have Vista 32bit.

Has Nick or anyone done a similar exercise for Vista?

IP Logged

Reply #167 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 8:22am

NickN   Offline
Colonel
FSX runs fine... the problem
is you or your system

I am still in Europe

Even though FSX shuts down Aero during use, Vista requires shutting down the Aero and other visual features the right way so on boot the memory and CPU cycles are recovered for applications. I have been waiting for service pack(s) to be released before finalizing any Vista changes for the same reason FSX is a mess to develop for until they finish making changes to it.

Although there are aspects to what I posted (as in the method/approach, not so much the exact steps) which are used in Vista I would not use that list for Vista tweaking unless you know what you are doing.

The best way to release resources without getting into services and deeper areas is to simply shut down ALL the Windows eye candy features. That alone will recover quite a bit for FSX use. The defrag approach is the same but unfortunately O&O Defrag was redesigned a bit and in doing so they changed things in such a way that it still works but it allows a disk to fragment easier over time. I use version 8.5 on WinXP. Version 10 requires different instructions than what I posted.

Just as I have been waiting for Vista service pack releases I was waiting to see if O&O would issue another update which would change the file layout method. I do not want to post things and then have them become obsolete.

What I posted works fine for XP SP2 (It MUST be WinXP SP2)

Vista sucks the life out of a processor and memory. Right now its still in a dev phase and will continue to be for some time. SP1 will help but in my opinion it will take another SP to get the OS up to speed. XP was the same way although initially before the major service packs it was never anywhere near as bad as Vista.

Vista looks for a motherboard and other hardware which is correctly Vista certified, another reason why no major corporation will touch it with a 10 foot pole. Corporate upgrading to Vista is 10X the cost and pain to deal with over what XP was when it was released which is why MS has allowed downgrades to XP for business systems being sold by OEMs.

Since learning DX10 in FSX was going to end up a preview and not a re-write.. I have not had much desire to switch. Although I do have Vista x64 I only use it for playing and testing. I do not use it for regular FSX use or any mission critical applications. Its not worth the headaches yet but over the next year I am sure that will change.

IP Logged

Reply #168 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 11:26pm

macca22au   Offline
Colonel
pilots
Melbourne, Australia

Yes Nick - and even worse I traded my XP off against Vista as part of the purchase. 

So if I want to revert I will have to purchase XP once again.  But frankly I am thinking of doing so, putting Vista on the shelf until FS11 or 12 when it is fully optimised and learn from the hard won lesson. 

Seeing that the latest patch is only a Dx10 preview I can hardly consider it a good bargain. 

I bought Vista on the understanding that I would have a full and frank Dx10 game now - and that's not the reality. 

I know that there are MS flamers, and MS Aces defenders but I am just a poor old sod in the middle - I have wasted a lot of money that maybe I can afford, but I cannot afford to waste.

IP Logged

Reply #169 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 11:45pm

macca22au   Offline
Colonel
pilots
Melbourne, Australia

And as a matter of routine I set out to update my video driver to 163.77 and chaos......

I have Matrox, and initially the game crashed and froze with a black screen,

Then the sound broke up.

I cannot clean the drivers out - it always rolls back to 163.22 but NEVER goes back to the 'natural' screen for a clean install.

Now the game won't even uininstall.

All is corrupt.

So tomorrow a clean reinstall of Vista Premium, and I wish I had the sense to buy XP once again.

Then a clean reinstall of FSX, SP1 and Acceleration, then the painstaking business of reinstalling the add-on aircraft (hoping the keys are not lost), and UTX etc etc. 

The one thing old age does is give you time!

And they call it a game.

IP Logged

Reply #170 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 6:02am

reider   Offline
Colonel
Permission to crash on
runway 06L granted

Do the clean install of FSX and start it once. Skip SP1 since Acceleration includes both SP1 and SP2, do a full start at least once.  Then do a full space followed by a full name defrag if you have the facility.  Then reintroduce add ons gradually so you can spot if any problems.  Once you`re relatively happy, repeat the defrag process with both types where available.

For Vista users.......  If you use Aero, then create a shortcut to that theme on the desktop, create one also for a basic theme (FSX).  Then turn off the sidebar and start the FSX theme prior to FSX itself, returning them to normal after your flight.  Turn off any unused programs in the task tray.  If using FSX offline then turn off the net (I have a shortcut on the desktop) and the AV.  This makes it all extremely smooth in operation and literally takes seconds to complete, once you`ve done it a few times.

How to set up themes.....  Right click mouse on open desktop, choose 'personalization', choose 'theme', use 'save as' and direct it to the desktop to save with the title of Vista.  Repeat for FSX and choose 'Windows Classic', title is FSX and again save to desktop via 'save as'.

How to turn off net switch.....  Open Network (mine is on desktop), open 'Network and sharing centre', open 'Manage network connections'.  Find your C:\ drive and right click with the mouse, then drag to the desktop as a shortcut.  You can then right click this with the mouse at any time and choose to enable/disable the network quickly.  I placed my shortcut in the quick launch bar, but the desktop is equally effective.

The Acceleration disk has an Acceleration version of the SDK, though its only initially titled SDK until the installation begins.  You must have the normal FSX SDK and SP1a installed to use it.  SP1a is included with the disk too.  By installing the Accelerator version this will at least fix some problems certain people have had with the file menu not displaying some options.

Reider

IP Logged

Reply #171 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 8:21pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

The drivers you want are the beta's 169.04 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.04.html

NOTE: That link above is ONLY for VISTA x32

for XP use THIS link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.04.html

For XP x64 use this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_169.04.html

For VISTA x64 use this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.04.html

which are said to have the latest DX10 and other temp fixes which correct frame issues. The next official release is rumored to incorporate changes needed to fix several problems in FSX.

Nvida and Aces are aware of driver related problems with both DX10 and 9 with FSX Accel/SP2

The links above are better suited as of this date 11/12/07 for SP2/Accel. That will change as driver upgrades are released)

The way you replace drivers are as follows:

Download the OFFICIAL driver update.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Input the correct information about your system

NOTE: If you wish to play with the latest BETA driver release, they can be found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/betadrivers.aspx?lang=en-us

Input the correct information about your system

For ATI cards go here and input the correct information about your system:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Download Driver Sweeper and install it:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

NOTE: That program is being updated on a regular basis to accommodate new drivers as they are released. You should check periodically for updates for the program before changing drivers and install any new version.  

For Nvidia users, download the latest version of Nhancer. There is a 32 and 64bit version. Make sure you get the right one:

http://www.nhancer.com/

NOTE: Nhancer is also being updated periodically. Make sure to check for an update before changing drivers. Also, you MUST HAVE .NET Framework 2.0 installed  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD...

and properly updated to use Nhancer.

Uninstall any previous version on Nhancer BEFORE you update the drivers but DO NOT INSTALL THE NEW VERSION (or reinstall the old) until after the new drivers have been installed properly.

NOTE: Some newer driver revisions require Nhancer be uninstalled before upgrading. Unfortunately I can not list which ones may require this step and which ones do not, therefore it is best to uninstall Nhancer before any driver upgrade, even if you are not upgrading Nhancer, to be 100% sure the program properly initializes with the new drivers.

Go to ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS, run the uninstaller for the currently installed drivers.

Reboot

Once back in Windows, set up the resolution as required and boot the program Driver Sweeper. In the past we would use a program called “Driver Clean Pro” in Windows safe mode but that is no longer necessary with Driver Sweeper.  

In Driver Sweeper:

NOTE: NVIDIA MOTHERBOARD USERS... IF YOU ARE USING A NVIDIA CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD DO NOT SELECT THE NVIDIA CHIPSET OPTION UNLESS YOU WISH TO REINSTALL THE CHIPSET DRIVERS.. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO USE THAT OPTION WITH NVIDIA CHIPSET MOTHERBOARDS... ONLY SELECT THE NVIDIA DISPLAY OPTION.

Right now Driver Sweeper only shows a 100% progress bar when it is complete. The Author is changing that so it requests a reboot. When the progress bar shows 100% and stops, close DS and reboot the system.

NOTE: For AGP systems I highly recommend the motherboard AGP driver be uninstalled, reboot and reinstalled before the next step. This ensures the video driver does not damage the system AGP driver when it is uninstalled. Check for an updated AGP driver before reinstalling. VIA is well known for AGP driver updates in their Hyperion Drivers. This step is not always necessary however it ensures the integrity of the AGP driver before the new video driver is installed. PCIe systems need not worry about the motherboard drivers however you should always check to see if new motherboard drivers are available, and if so, install them prior to a new video driver install.

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2007 at 8:59am by NickN »  
IP Logged

Reply #172 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 8:26pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

Install the new video drivers. Once completed reboot the system. Once back into Windows allow a period of time ( a good minute) for the system to finish installing the new drivers, then, set the correct resolution for the monitor and verify the refresh rate is correct. Reboot the computer again. Set the desktop icons back to where you want them if they moved.

For Nvidia systems, install the latest version of Nhancer. Reboot.

Once back into Windows, run Nhancer from the start menu. It does NOT need to boot with Windows or have a tray icon since the service runs in the background and will properly influence the settings. When it is first run select NO to have it run with Windows or have it place an icon on the tray.

With any driver above 163.xx Nhancer can no longer delete the profiles as it did in the past, instead the way you OVERRIDE the FSX and FS9 profiles is do the following:

a.  
Scroll down the profile list until you find the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (or) Microsoft Flight Simulator X profile. Click on it once to highlight it. Once it is highlighted, click the DUPLICATE button. You will get a message, select YES to complete the duplication. What that will do is DEACTIVATE the Nvidia profile and ACTIVATE your new duplicate.  

b.
With the new profile in the list, make sure there is a bullet in PROFILE on the right. Go down the list on the right and select the following:

AA:
For FSX select SUPERSAMPLING and 8xS  

NOTE: Slower cards and systems in FSX, set to MUTISAMPLING and 4X or SUPERSAMPLING and 4xS

Under the next box, check GAMMA CORRECTION

DO NOT ENABLE THE SECOND SUPERSAMPLE FEATURE IN THIS AREA  

AF: CHECKED  

Bullet in: 16X  

VERTICAL SYNC: CHECKED, Bullet in: APPLICATION

NOTE: I have heard SP2 and Accel have a BUG with the latest Nv drivers where VERTICAL SYNC is DISABLED in FSX. If you see tearing in the image, set the above to ON inatead of APPLICATION

OPTIMIZATIONS Tab:  

Texture Filtering CHECKED Bullet in - High Quality  
Trilinear Opt CHECKED, Bullet in - Off  
Aniso. sample opt. CHECKED, Bullet in - Off  
Negative LOD BIAS, CHECKED, Bullet in - Clamp  

Check the next three items but do not change their values

COMPATABILITY TAB:  

Place a CHECK in all header values but only change the following if needed:

Force Mip-Maps = NONE
Conformant Texture Clamp = ON
Hi Dynamic Range HDR (Enabled)

All others should be at their default values.

Under the CPU Multicore Support, REGARDLESS OF THE TYPE OF CPU YOU USE:

FOR WINDOWSXP SET CPU TO SINGLE  
FOR WINDOWS VISTA SET CPU TO MULTICORE      

Repeat the above for any other game profile as you may need it.  

c.
In the main Nhancer Window, set the bullet to GLOBAL

Set the SAME settings on GLOBAL as you did above.  

Close Nhancer and reboot.

Open the Nivida Control panel (right click desktop, select Nvidia Control Panel) Show the ADVANCED settings. Under Managed 3D, make sure the Multi Display Mixed GPU is set to SINGLE DISPLAY MODE if you are ONLY using one video card and monitor.  If you use more than one, leave the setting on default

Click APPLY.

FOR LCD: Under “ DISPLAY” and “Change Flat Panel Scaling” make sure it is set to: “Use my Displays built in scaling”

Next, under ADJUST DESKTOP COLOR SETTINGS:

NOTE: FOR LCD and CRT. Under the “Adjust Desktop Color Settings” you may want to play with the CONTRAST, BRIGHTNESS and GAMMA. Every monitor is different. Your mileage may vary. 8800 cards WILL NOT have any Image Sharpening control by design. 7xxxx series cards can boost the image sharpness by about 25% or to taste.

Sometimes BOOSTING Contrast UP a tad is better in MSFS. You have to play with this to get it set to your taste. It is strictly based on your monitor and card.

Click APPLY and close the Nvidia driver control panel

NOTE: When you replace video drivers nvwiz.exe will be installed by default. If you do not use multi-monitors you can use SpyBots as outlined earlier in this thread to DELETE the nvwiz.exe line in startup.  

In FSX UNCHECK AA and set filtering to TRILLINEAR

Try diffrent frame locks. 30 or unlimited usually works best especially for TFT monitors.

When you install Acceleration I recommend you save the FSX config file, delete the original and let the sim write a new file when it is booted the first time, then edit in your changes.

NOTE: When I was playing with Accel/SP2 I found ALL my suyggested tweaks were still valid and worked best with the exception of SMALL Parts Reject. With SP2 autogen is batched and that tweak will not play right with the new update. Remove it from the config file.

In Vista make SURE you get the multi-monitor and pre-SP1 performance updates installed and for XP or Vista ALWAYS remember to update DirectX once a month to be sure you have the latest release files..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A...

IP Logged

Reply #173 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 4:57am

macca22au   Offline
Colonel
pilots
Melbourne, Australia

Comprehensive, frightening,scary but comprehensive - thanks Nick. 

As I am in the middle of a rebuild - that I may not have needed if I had known of the driver cleaner utility (my fault not any one else's) does anyone know if the Vista SP1 beta contains all of the previous updates or do I still have to apply them.  Critical for me is the one that addresses the address issue that was eating up memory.

Since that update and with CFF I have completely overcome the OOM problem that earlier bedevilled Vista and FSX.

However tomorrow I still have time to ask for XP to be re-installed. 

Should I?

All it costs is money!!!

IP Logged

Reply #174 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 6:07am

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

XP= no DX10

And I can tell you that it’s not perfect with SP2/Accel either. I simply prefer to stick with what works till they get their act together in Vista.

That one is up to you. If you do have XP installed you can use the list I posted in this thread to optimize however they do not make O&O Defrag version 8.5 anymore and although you can use version 10, you must NOT run the SPACE DEFRAG ever after a COMPLETE\NAME defrag has been done on version 10 and above. To do so will destroy the COMPLETE\NAME DEFRAG optimize. Unlike version 8.5, version 10 leaves unused cluster blocks between the files and if you run ANY space defrag after a NAME defrag it will scramble the file system up, effectively destroying the advantage the Complete\Name defrag provides.

You can run the initial SPACE defrag after a clean Windows\Software\FSX\Addons install but after that, -never- use SPACE. Only multiple pass Complete\Name defrags are to be run. In version 8.5 O&O compresses all clusters so there is no free space between the files and therefore a SPACE defrag can be used for intermittent maintenance as needed between the longer name defrag runs. I am hoping O&O will change what V10 has introduced in a later update.

As for Vista, Windows Update should provide the performance enhancements and fixes needed. Make sure to vist Windows Update over and over again manually to ensure you have all the updates for the install.

Automatic Updates runs in the background and if that scan takes place during FSX use it will cause performance losses which is why I always shut down both automatic updates and system restore in XP or Vista. I manually update Windows once a month by visiting Windows Update from the TOOLS menu in IE7.

For XP and over 2GB, use this to set the OS up to use the new SP2 3G+ marked FSX.exe

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194722780#11
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2007 at 7:25am by NickN »  
IP Logged

Reply #175 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 6:54pm

Wingo   Offline
Colonel
Your marmalade is no match
for my VEGEMITE!!
YSBK. Back where I belong.

I just followed Nick's instructions above to install the new Beta drivers from nvidia (169.09). I'm running Vista and DX9, but I have noticed an improvement still. I've managed to squeeze an extra 2-4 fps from just upgrading the driver, and the sim is a lot smoother. Personally, I would recommend these drivers.

IP Logged

Reply #176 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:20pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

good.. I also upgraded this evening and I also see changes in DX9,,.. texture flashes are corrected and better overall flight smoothness although I did notice an increased hit with water reflection slider pushed up..

no biggie they are still beta

IP Logged

Reply #177 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:58am

kagazi   Offline
Colonel
I Fly Sim!

Hello Nick,

I should learn to read first and tweak second.  I used your boot.ini tweak (/3GB/Userva=2560) for systems with over 2gigs of ram installed (i have 3gigs) and my dell e510 w/xpsp2 refused to boot and instead gave me a memory warning with blue screen background.  I used safemode to remove the tweak and all is well.  I now see the tweak is for those who have sp2/accel installed. 

I don't plan to purchase acceleration but I will install the sp2 once it's made available.  I'm wondering if your boot.ini tweak will work with sp2 stand alone?

IP Logged

Reply #178 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:15pm

NickN   Offline
Colonel
is you or your system

kagazi wrote on Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:58am:
Hello Nick,

I should learn to read first and tweak second.  I used your boot.ini tweak (/3GB/Userva=2560) for systems with over 2gigs of ram installed (i have 3gigs) and my dell e510 w/xpsp2 refused to boot and instead gave me a memory warning with blue screen background.  I used safemode to remove the tweak and all is well.  I now see the tweak is for those who have sp2/accel installed.  

I don't plan to purchase acceleration but I will install the sp2 once it's made available.  I'm wondering if your boot.ini tweak will work with sp2 stand alone?

possibly a Dell BIOS issue not allowing memory mapping above 2GB... not sure. You could try reducing the USERVA by 128 and see if it works. If not, reduce it another 128 and retry until you hit the right number. anything above 2000 is allowing the system to use that memory for the application if it is marked for 2GB+ use.. FSX SP2 and Accel BOTH make FSX 2+GB aware. With SP1 you must edit the fsx.exe file manually.

There may be something mapping more memory than usuall on that dell motherboard such as onboard shared video or the video card itself may have shared memory if it is a cheap card, which will affect the amount Windows needs to remain stable in the USERVA call

IP Logged

Reply #179 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:23pm

kagazi   Offline
Colonel
I Fly Sim!

Thank you for your quick response.  My memory card isn't very good (ati x1650 pro w/256mb ram) but I don't believe it shares memory with the system.  Maybe something else is causing the heartburn.  I will give your reduction strategy a go since It doesn't take much to reverse and the more memory I can get the system to utilize the better.

Thanks for all your tweaks!
K

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
Send Topic Print