FS Design Studio

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

FS Design Studio

Postby gordie3640 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Has anyone used FS Design Studio from Abacus to place scenery objects in FSX? I gave up on FSX SDK after a month of frustration and gyrations. I'm looking for a review of this software beyond what ABACUS published. Is it worth the 24.95?
gordie3640
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: FS Design Studio

Postby Fozzer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

I have used Abacus' "EZ Scenery" for for my FS 2004 for many years. >>>>

http://www.fspilotshop.com/abacus-scene ... ml?ref=372

....and for my FSX I use this..."Instant Scenery 3"....>>>

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3

Wonderful for populating your airfields and scenery!

Select, size, and place, in real time, with the Sim running!

Like "FS Panel Studio", a wonderful program for modifying your default Flight Sims!

Paul....also with "Ultimate Terrain USA" and "FS Global".... :mrgreen: ...1
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby zeus981 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:11 pm

I have built many scenery items using FSDS v6.5.1 and have no issues with uploading to FSX
All the non default items in my YBSS airfield (except a couple of orbx items that will show if you have OrbxAU installed) were made using FSDS. That will show you the capabilities of FSDS and what you can do with just a small financial outlay. (Search YBSS on Simviation and see post of Aug 18, 2016 by R Budd )
I have made buildings, misc objects and vegetation. I have never tried to build an aircraft though.
I use it with the XtoMDL option (instead of MakeMDL which I believe is for FSX2004)
Things to know about FSDS
- If a hard surface is needed, get the scale set in FSDS at 100% required, as up /downscaling once in FSX will muck up hard surfaces.
- A couple of freeware extra software is needed to fully utilise FSDS. They are DXTBmp.exe and ModelConverterX.exe. These are needed to ensure texture images work correctly especially those with transparent areas. A search should bring up their download sites. Try SceneryDesign.org too. A good image editor is necessary too. I use the freeware Paint.net.exe with the transparency patch added in.( called BoltBaitPack43).. might be later versions by now though.
Once scenery is made and compiled via FSDS, I use Instant Scenery to add and move objects around. This software makes movement of scenery a breeze compared to the default Objects Placement tool.
zeus981
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:20 am

Just to point out that FS Design Studio is a 3D modelling application used for creating 3D objects like buildings & aircraft.

It is not an Object Placement utility which is used for adding those objects to the FSX scenery. Instant Scenery 3 suggested by Fozzer would probably be more suitable for your requirements.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby bturtle » Tue May 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Hagar wrote:Just to point out that FS Design Studio is a 3D modelling application used for creating 3D objects like buildings & aircraft.

It is not an Object Placement utility which is used for adding those objects to the FSX scenery. Instant Scenery 3 suggested by Fozzer would probably be more suitable for your requirements.

Does it work for P3D V3.4?

Thanks,

Thiago
bturtle
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed May 03, 2017 5:38 am

bturtle wrote:
Hagar wrote:Just to point out that FS Design Studio is a 3D modelling application used for creating 3D objects like buildings & aircraft.

Does it work for P3D V3.4?

Thanks,

Thiago

According to the developer's website it works with P3D (1.x, 2, 3). http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3

System Requirements / FS Version Compatibility

MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR X / 2004 / Lockheed Martin P3D (1.x, 2, 3)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Scenery & Panel Design