New memory, and Grrrrrrrr

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

New memory, and Grrrrrrrr

Postby darkhorse » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:35 pm

I just got a PNY 256 MB PC133 today and it doesn't work.  I checked their site to see if maybe I got the wrong one.  According to their site, I did need to get PC 100.  Last time I checked, that was actually quite a bit more expensive than 133.  In either case, the store doesn't carry 133.  Here is the odd part. I checked crucial's site, and it said mine could use PC 133, or at least in the "what would fit my system" type screen.  I checked with their tech support, and she said that their PC 133 is backwards compatible with PC 100 and that is why it was listed.  Does that sound strange to anyone about being backwards compatible?  I figured that even I could only run PC 100, a PC 133 would just not run at full speed.
darkhorse
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: New memory, and Grrrrrrrr

Postby Brett_Henderson » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:21 pm

It's been a while since I messed with PC 100 or 133, but here's what I remember.

A board that only supports 100 will not accept 133,,  a board that supports 133 WILL run 100 and even 32MB of 100 will drag all the 133 that you  can run with it,  down to it's speed..

I could be wrong..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby congo » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:53 am

Hi Darkhorse,

I'm not sure but I thought some 100mhz boards will accept PC133, but from other posts, I've gleaned that HP's and Compaqs, (Peas in the proverbial pod) will not.

Also from a recent post, it is apparent that not many retailers are stocking or can easily get PC100 as it is a special order now and there are waiting lists.

You could try weekend ads in the paper or a busy local Computer dealer who sells second hand systems.

I replied to your Post in the tweaking forum.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Postby darkhorse » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:23 am

I saw the post about the ram vs. vid card, and instead of selling it, I'm thinking of just throwing it out our second story window.  At least Circuit City let me exchange it for the new memory without any problems.  But even the second chip doesn't work.  I checked HP's site and it shows their PC133 Kits as being compatible (of course), but the new Centon PC 133 doesn't work either.  It was PC 133 only, and their site listed me as needing a different modle number.  I'm guessing the only difference may be the densities, but I can't tell for sure.

Any word on the new HP's?  Wal-Mart carries one with a P4 2.4 GHz processor, 512 DDR ram (not sure which speed yet), 80 gi HD, 17 monitor for $998.  Plus I work there, so I would get a 10% discount.  As usuall, I don't have much money, but with the tax returns and bonus check, who knows what my wife might let me do.
darkhorse
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

tterRe: New memory, and Grrrrrrrr

Postby congo » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:31 am

Your 10% discount is better spent on something decent, if you buy another HP,
I'll never talk to you again.
Last edited by congo on Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Postby Brett_Henderson » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:53 am

Congo, you're overlooking one (important) thing.

Unless you've done it (built a computer) or have someone with you who has,, It's not even close to a matter of buying the parts (all working, no return shipping) on-line and throwing them all together.

Nuff said there as it's a forum topic by itself...

I agree completely, that if you want the most for your $$ (long term),, a ready-made computer is not the best choice. But it's not all bad either. If you buy it well enough equipped to suit your immediate needs, you can always use the drives, memory, monitor etc. when you go to upgrade. But to think that you can (from scratch, one at a time) buy and assemble a computer cheaper than a major retailer is silly. If it could be done, trust me, I'd buy enough components for 100 of them,,advertise and sell them right now  ;)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Re: tterRe: New memory, and Grrrrrrrr

Postby darkhorse » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:45 am

I thought you said at the top of the post you were after PC100 ram?

Also, it's likely your board might only support a maximum of 128mb per slot.

Frankly, I don't know exactly what I need any more.  Crucial showed PC 100 or 133 would work, Centon's said 133, HP also showed 133 but PNY doesn't even show what I need.  Unfortunantly, the Centon one I bought is a different modle number than what their site says I need.  As far as my capacity, my computer can handle 512 MB and I have 2 memory banks (256MB each). I might give it one more try, you know the whole 3rd time is a charm thing.  I'm not sure.
darkhorse
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby darkhorse » Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:48 pm

Finally, 3rd time was a charm.  I found a PC 133 that works.  Now I have a usable 384MB of memory in my computer so I can run Kazaa and games at the same time happily.  Now to just get a new video card good enough to run the "Battery" visualization in Windows Media Player smoothly.  It can run smoothly now under a very wierd circumstance, but that is another topic.  I think I'll just enjoy what I have for now untill the itch stikes again.
darkhorse
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby congo » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:02 am

That's great Darkhorse, good to here a happy ending!  ;)

Silly? Who you callin' silly Brett_Henerson?
Last edited by congo on Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
congo
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:49 am

It looks like the "package" prices are much the same here (when the exchange rate is taken into account).
The system you describe Darkhorse, at Walmart for $998 is around $2,000 here. A big slice in anyones language.

I've got a Compaq and have been thru the mill, but I'm much the wiser for it.
My computer shop bloke, who also puts together systems "made to order" has quoted me around $400 ($230 US) to make my Compaq into a 1.4 Mhz 512 RAM with Gforce MX440 (I think).
If you don't know what you need, you tell him what it's going to be used for and he will give you your options.

He has quoted me $850 ($500 US) to make up a 2.0 GB, 512 RAM , 30 GB HD, Ge Force (not sure of model but better than MX, 64mb). With this I just get the CPU.

I'm sure there are shops there that do this too, probably most of them, as it seems to be the way everyone (who knows) is going.
As was said (in not so many words), the "beautiful, neat, nicely boxed and well advertised "packages" are for the masses with more money than sense. Or perhaps, more kindly, people who know nothing about it, learning seems too great a hurdle, and think they are getting the most up to date (for what?) machine (especially when they come with tons of useless software). Case in point, my wife.  ;D

The RAM problem with Compaq is complicated. I have gone through it and now know what went on and why. I solved my problem, but it took so long because Compaq made use of "old style/double side Ram chips that looked physically exactly the same as new style/single sided chips (they were available for only a very short time). All I needed was just to install old/double sided even though they didn't look the same. Thank goodness you can get them in 256MB.

Anyway................good luck, but don't buy another HP/Compaq.  ;D ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby darkhorse » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:37 am

It turns out that what I needed was double sided too, which I didn't expect.  As for a new system, I was quoted $750 US for one with AMD Athlon 2000, 80 gig HD DVD player, cd burner, 64 MB GeForce card (don't remember the model number), 512 DDR RAM.  That price was just for the tower alone.  I already have everything else.
darkhorse
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Hardware