PC sound card through LM324N

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

PC sound card through LM324N

Postby amberlee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 am

Hi everybody,I'm new here.

I am trying to build a high power/current function generator. And I’m using a program called TTG as a function generator using my PC sound card, then I am trying to amplify the signal.

I am using an LM324N, I was successful to amplify the voltage from ~0.01V (my sound card output) to about 1.1VAC (testing sine wave for now), however when I measure short circuit current of the output it’s a mere 40ma.

Am i doing something wrong here? Or do op-amps really give little current? And how should I go about amplifying the signal enough so it can drive... let's say a little ac motor.
Thanks in advance!
amberlee
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: PC sound card through LM324N

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am

amberlee wrote:Hi everybody,I'm new here.

I am trying to build a high power/current function generator. And I’m using a program called TTG as a function generator using my PC sound card, then I am trying to amplify the signal.

I am using an LM324N, I was successful to amplify the voltage from ~0.01V (my sound card output) to about 1.1VAC (testing sine wave for now), however when I measure short circuit current of the output it’s a mere 40ma.

Am i doing something wrong here? Or do op-amps really give little current? And how should I go about amplifying the signal enough so it can drive... let's say a little ac motor.

Thanks in advance!

You already posted this question NOVEMBER 2010 in this forum:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threa ... 324.45513/

Think we are idiots?

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: PC sound card through LM324N

Postby PhilFly » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am

What you have to do is to add a pushpull stage to increase the power. Google "pushpull electronics" you will find a lot of diagrams.

Cheers
PhilFly
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Hardware