Check your SSD drive properties!

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Check your SSD drive properties!

Postby OldAirmail » Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 am

IMPORTANT - On an SSD NEVER select "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties".

When I first set up the system, I had this un-checked on all three SSDs'. I'm thinking that one of the Windows 10 update decided to change that.

Anyway, with it checked, it seemed to be as slow as an old hard drive.

NOW, the "double click"/start to fly time on Prepar3d is back to 1 minute, 5 seconds.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Check your SSD drive properties!

Postby Tonydb » Sun May 08, 2016 9:52 am

Bang right, should never be used on SSD's Not only does it slow them down but it also increases the writes on the drive and so shortens it's useful life.
AMD FSX 8 Series 4.65 KHz, 16GB Memory, ASUS MB, 2 X 2TB hard drives, 1 X 1TB SSD, Orico 4TB external backup drive, AMD 9000 series Graphics Card, 3 X AOC 25" Monitors Saitek AV8R, Saitek throttle block, custom cooling
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave87 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Quality Tip!

I was impressed by my SSD, but I always thought it should be faster,...Hey presto I see this and check my settings, and I have the index option on.

It's now off :D

Cheers
Dave
Dave87
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ftldave » Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 pm

Microsoft also recommends DISABLING the SuperFetch service in conjunction with SSD drives. That service is another time waster that diminishes SSD performance.

It used to be best practice to turn off the scheduled Disk Defragmenter run, but that's not good for Win 8/10 rigs since Microsoft has smartened it up to run TRIM on SSDs, and that's a good thing.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Sat May 28, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks OAM for keeping us up on the latest info. All of your info is most helpful. That is why I read this everyday. I have learned tons of valuable info on Simviation. homeboy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:31 am

ftldave wrote:Microsoft also recommends DISABLING the SuperFetch service in conjunction with SSD drives. That service is another time waster that diminishes SSD performance.

If you are using Windows 10 you can just ignore SuperFetch. When Windows 10 detects an SSD drive it automatically does not use it, regardless of the apparent setting. Nice and easy for us.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Hardware