P3D Vs 3 worth the leap from FSX???

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

P3D Vs 3 worth the leap from FSX???

Postby jamarogers » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:08 am

I'm a former user of P3D, vs2.4, but after a few weeks of frustration and disappointment, I opted for a refund. I enjoy writing missions and tutorials for my site (fsxmissionshangar.com) and felt P3D could be a step up from FSX but at the time their SimDirector was totally dysfunctional, there was NO SDK, and their included missions were 10 years old, borrowed from MS FSX. From what I've read Vs 3.+ has made some significant improvements, yet I find no topics here when is search on "SimDirector". Can anyone comment on experiences with mission (Scenario) development in 3.+ with the SDK or SimDirector (I'm not real sure of the distinction)? Compatibility of FSX missions with P3DVs3+??? Aircraft and scenery addons compatibility??? Thanks for any help, advice and reference...
Jake
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: P3D Vs 3 worth the leap from FSX???

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:18 am

Although I feel that Prepar3d V3.X is much better, Prepar3d isn't for everybody.

As to your question, why not go to the source? - SimDirector Overview.

But I think that you'll find that SimDirector isn't of much use to most, casual, sim fliers. Of course, I could be very wrong.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby FabioL » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:15 am

A slightly different perspective follows:

I migrated from FSX Acceleration to P3D V2 and I even purchased some of my favourite addons all over again in order to enjoy P3D more fully.

Then, at iteration P3D V2.5, LM released P3D V3, and I was a bit offended by this short V2.5 run considering my investment in it.

You also need to recognise the licensing parameters for the product itself, and the notion that you may need to buy some of your preferred add-ons all over again, and/or leave those that are no longer functional in it behind (or run two sim platforms, obviously).

Instead of upgrading to P3D V3, I migrated over to FSX:SE, and with proper scenery management, VAS out of memory issues are not a problem any longer, plus I can enjoy once again my left behind FSX goodies.

Having said this, I do know many of my online friends do enjoy P3D very much. My issue is that there is a cost to it, and that cost is higher than I had anticipated.
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:22 pm

FabioL wrote:A slightly different perspective follows:

Instead of upgrading to P3D V3, I migrated over to FSX:SE, and with proper scenery management, VAS out of memory issues are not a problem any longer, plus I can enjoy once again my left behind FSX goodies.

Having said this, I do know many of my online friends do enjoy P3D very much. My issue is that there is a cost to it, and that cost is higher than I had anticipated.

I've heard that FSX:SE is better than the standard FSX too. I have the "boxed" version on my computer, but use it only for comparison.

I bought into Prepar3d V2.x to see if it was much better, and found it almost identical in most respects.

But there were a few areas where it was noticeable better.

With Prepar3d V3.x I found that there was enough of an improvement that I was willing to pay for it. Others didn't. :confusion-shrug:

But P3d requires a better computer with a much better video card. Without that, I think that FSX:SE is the best solution for most people.

Back to the original posters question of SimDirector, my very brief reading makes it sound more like something for professional training, than casual use.

But that would be for him to decide.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby jamarogers » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Regarding "SimDirector Overview"...been there and done that. Like many I fell for LM's sales pitch once, thus I'm looking for experience from users. I agree there is much anger about LM's continuously re charging customers for their Major upgrades, which only fills the gaps they promised to begin with...e.g. SimDirector. I'm still happy with FSX, although 10 years old, and looking forward to Dovetail's Flight Simulator. I think LM's biggest problem was their target customers... their development could have been so much better for everyone had they included us "weekend warriors" as legitimate end users... Just my opionion.
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Prepar3D