Help Me With Upgrade Decision Please!

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Help Me With Upgrade Decision Please!

Postby LTCSZ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:15 am

OK...Fate has forced me to begin purchasing a new computer...I plan on top of the line specs, (well, as top of the line as I can afford) and have a question...I am a long time FS2004 user...Assuming my new system performs as it should, would I be better off finding a new (legal!) copy of FSX, FSX Steam, or going with P3d? I am aware that both programs require some tweaking and such, but which would prove to be more satisfactory in the long run? I really appreciate your advice!

Steve in Kansas
LTCSZ
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Help Me With Upgrade Decision Please!

Postby Daube » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:39 am

It depends what you intend to do. I mean, what kind of flights.
The P3D v3 graphic quality is superior to FSX, and it's also more efficient against the ground blurries when flying fast at low altitude.
However, with some complex sceneries, FSX had superior performance compared to P3D v2... I don't know how it compares with P3D v3 yet.
In any case, it's very difficult to answer your question, especially if we consider the fact that some addon companies will make you pay double price if you want your addon to be "legal" for both FSX and P3D...

If you buy the P3D, get the v3, not the older v2.
If you buy FSX, get it on Steam instead of trying to buy an old DVD. But, wait for some sales period. We can frequently see FSX-Steam sold for 5 dollars only, instead of the regular 25 dollars. So if you spot it at that price, go for it, else wait for the next sales.

For information, I switched from FSX Acceleration (DVDs) to P3D (v2, and now v3 since a few weeks), and I uninstalled FSX a long time ago.
I have bought FSX-Steam during sales at 5 dollars, but I never installed it. I just keep it as a backup, because I don't ever want to touch those stinky DVDs ever. My computer doesn't have a DVD player anymore anyways.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby LTCSZ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:46 am

Thanks for the information! When the new system arrives (after next payday!) I am planning on purchasing P3d...Thanks again,

Steve
LTCSZ
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:14 pm

It's hard to argue with Daube.

FSX: Steam sounds like it has a lot going for it.

One advantage for you is that some of your favorite FS2004 aircraft may work in it.

With Prepar3d, there will be less that will work.

But as to the FS2004 scenery - forget it. The FSX/Prepar3d scenery will be far better.

One thing about Prepar3d is that it's a growing flight sim.

And just like a kids clothing, you'll want to replace it every now and then. And THAT can become expensive.

So for the long run, FSX: Steam may suit you better if you don't like updating your sim, scenery, and aircraft all that often.

The one exception to that would depend on what, and how, you fly.

If you like flying highly detailed jet liners, such as PMDG, on long flights over oceans and cities, then you really do need to get Prepar3d V3

Personally, I went with Prepar3d over FSX.

Buildings, mountains, clouds, airplanes, and trees all cast shadows. It's an added touch that makes it a more believable experience.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:03 pm

Ah, the remark about the planes in FS9 (FS2004) format is very valid.
In P3D v2, the FS9 planes are showing correctly, but unfortunately their virtual cockpits are not clickable at all anymore.
In P3D v3, the virtual cockpits of the FS9 planes are clickable again ! :dance: But only for the switches/levers that are modelled in 3D. The 2D stuff will still not be clickable at all.
This limits drastically the amount of FS9 planes that can be used in P3D v3, unfortunately.
However, the most recent FS9 planes have some 3D switches, so they can be used without problems.
For example, in the screenshots below, you can see the C-202 Folgore, an Italian WWII plane made by Manuele Villa. I have also successfully tested the Mig-21 F13 by Ivan Jurcarga, which is a very nice freeware rendition of the early Mig-21 variant.

Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:20 pm

And just a shot of the external model of the Mig-21 F13. I didn't make any screenshot from the VC, because I must edit the canopy glass to make it transparent first.

Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Prepar3D