Rating downloads

Questions, suggestions, ideas, complaints, compliments about this site or forums. Ask here.

Rating downloads

Postby town » Tue May 03, 2005 6:16 am

I have downloaded some aircraft from the download section of this website and on the whole I am very pleased with them, but some aircraft are missing guages and other little things. Now I don't wish to seem ungrateful but is there any way to rate the downloads i.e. if they come with full instrumentation moving control surfaces, things like that so we can make a more informed choice beore downloading.

Sorry to sound so ungrateful  ::)

Shop at SKYSIM.CO.UK
town
Captain
Captain

Re: Rating downloads

Postby Saitek » Tue May 03, 2005 6:26 am

This belongs in the suggestions bit.... ::)

I know what you mean though - I find it frustrating when I download something and it is not all there.

The main reason for me though  is that I am pathetic at installing and getting bits and peices here there and everywhere and trying to put them together usally =errors/failure . ;D
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E2180 2GHz
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 6400C4 800Mhz
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata
Be Quiet! Straight Power 650W

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby town » Tue May 03, 2005 6:49 am

Thats exactly why I've mentioned it - I find it difficult enough downloading the bl**dy things in the first place and then to chase the other pieces and put them together to make it work...

The reason it is in this forum is simply I only use FS9 now, but if there is a better forum for it The moderators are welcome to move it  :D

Shop at SKYSIM.CO.UK
town
Captain
Captain

Postby GA_Pilot » Tue May 03, 2005 6:59 am

If I come across a panel with missing gauges, or if I dont really care for it the way it is, I edit the panel.cfg to make it how I want it  ;D
GA_Pilot

Postby Weekend_Flyer » Tue May 03, 2005 8:06 am

Ive noticed there are alot of hacked up versions of planes on different sites that people leave parts out and stuff. Alot of times if you read the readme file you can find out who the original maker of the plane is and do a search for it and find the original.
Weekend_Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jared » Tue May 03, 2005 2:51 pm

How about popping on over to the freeware screenshot forums? 9 out of 10 times any airplane in question from just about any site has been downloaded and some photos posted, along with the posters own opinion on the aircraft.... ;)
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby CAFedm » Tue May 03, 2005 4:10 pm

There is one other thing to consider...if files are required that have been borrowed from other sources (such as a radar gauge), if permission to include these is not obtained from the original creator then obviously these items cannot be included.
Last edited by CAFedm on Tue May 03, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
CAFedm
Captain
Captain

Postby town » Wed May 04, 2005 6:36 am

I appreciate what you gentlemen are saying about gathering up all the correct gauges etc. But if an aircraft was rated at, lets say "full all moving" it would have all its sounds, gauges, switches and its control surfaces would be seen to move. If it were rated at partial non moving" you would know you have to collect or create the missing parts.  Its just that I as a relatively low tech sort of person find it quite difficult these things together and working properly. ???

Shop at SKYSIM.CO.UK
town
Captain
Captain

Postby Saitek » Wed May 04, 2005 6:38 am

A great and simple idea, but it would take hours of work and a lot of prgromming on Pete's part. Plus someone would have to rate them and this could be down to opinion for some downloads.  So in theory it wouldn't be that practical.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Marlin » Wed May 04, 2005 7:42 pm

Saitek and Pete,

I find it totally frustrating waiting, and waiting some more, for the dial up to get a hopefully great plane into the FS9. folder; only to find out that its really a peice of #%^ !!

Here is an idea that wouldn't really take a whole bunch of work, I think.? That idea, is to put the number of times something has been downloaded. Then, as the word gets around about an individual ____, the # of times it is accessed speaks for itself.

For example, I got an MD-11 but it came with a 737 panel. No advice on what panel to use to control all THREE jets. Ya know little things like that drive me crazy, just call me anal or something.

But saying, " That looks cool." Waiting 5 hours, to be totally disappointed, really sucks and makes me very skeptical right from the start, about everyones downloads.

That is just my 2 cents worth, I didn't mean to insult anyone. This site is the best out here, take care and have a good day.

Marlin
Marlin
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby SilverFox441 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:30 pm

Putting download number on the files would required a database-driven system which is not in place here. That would mean constant, manual updates had to be done or the total conversion of the site to use a database...

Probably not going to happen. :)
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby Marlin » Thu May 05, 2005 1:39 am

Oh,,

Well it sounded easy.

That sounds like a lot of work now.
Marlin
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby town » Thu May 05, 2005 6:31 am

Is there no type of quality control in action here ;D

Maybe there could be a rating forum set up where people could pass there opinions on things they've downloaded (specifically from this site) then if something gets slated a moderator could take a look and maybe give a report conversely if something is given a big thumbs up the designer could get a collective pat on the back and go into a designers hall of fame.

Shop at SKYSIM.CO.UK
town
Captain
Captain

Postby Saitek » Thu May 05, 2005 7:43 am

Yes, a recommended freeware downloads section would be a good idea on the forum perhaps. Maybe people could write their own reviews advocating the download to others (not by the author however).
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pete » Thu May 05, 2005 8:49 am

Here is an idea that wouldn't really take a whole bunch of work, I think.? That idea, is to put the number of times something has been downloaded. Then, as the word gets around about an individual ____, the # of times it is accessed speaks for itself.

mmm well you can find the d/l numbers ...

But the main idea that no's of downloads has anything to do with quality would be wrong ...

The main thing here is this: These are free files - & to rate files would mean downrating some files.
We have talked of this before & many designers who start  off & improve their designs do so because of encouragement & give up with discouragement.

I am however thinking of another aspect to this site that may highlight design brilliants - so stay tuned ..  :D
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Site Questions & Feedback