Download problems on this site

Experiencing a problem using Simviation? Please ask questions or report problems you have here.

Download problems on this site

Postby ballistero » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:36 am

Exactly THAT day, whenn the pay-option came up, all of a sudden the servers, who had been working flawless for years and years, became dizzy, and the people who are not willing to pay FOR FREEWARE!! experience a whole bunch of crap.
Hey folks at simviation, what are you trying to tell us? It's more than obvious, that you are forcing the people to pay that f****** membership, so you can squeeze money out of them, by offering freeware by third parties.
Personally, i don't give a s*** about those solutions you're trying to give us, like suggesting that only IE works and that the security settings may be too high...
Trying to fool me??! It is more than obvious what you're doing, so don't underestimate the people's abilty to see through a cheap try...
This page is no longer the first adress to get new files for FS-Products....

I have no ending for this, so i take a small bow.
ballistero
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Download problems on this site

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:03 am

ballistero WHAT are you talking about?
You can still download for free from SimV! Just there is an option to sign-up which means you have access to a faster download server. Pete has to pay to keep the site running somehow. Premium membership is that how ;)

Ozzy72
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ballistero » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:17 am

I'm talking about  that downloading became mission impossible here, because 95% of the time it plainly doesn't work. I've been here since 2000, and i've never experienced those problems.
This thing makes it up to: pay or die. That's it.
ballistero
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:35 am

Well I've just downloaded a couple of planes off the free server no problem whatsoever so I think the problem must be with your machine.
Last edited by ozzy72 on Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ballistero » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:06 am

Ah really, keep tellin me. Whenever you see that tag "sign up for faster downloads" i can guarantee you, that the link won't work. And you know why?
Marketing.
"You could have this file, but without paying us, you will have a hard time getting the download started. In fact, we slow you down intentionally, cause we want to earn MONEY for other peoples work."
That's fact, don't tell me something about my machine, dude. You know it, and if you really believe in that sh** you're telling me, probably you should check your own. And I'm not speaking about my PC!

That reminds me of putting on my brown ribbon for today.
ballistero
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:16 am

All seems to be working ok for me ???
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Stratobat » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:40 am

Nothing wrong with the Downloads...

The Membership is just to help cover the Bandwith costs!

Regards,
Stratobat

'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'
Stratobat
Major
Major

Postby Wing Nut » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:04 pm

Ah really, keep tellin me. Whenever you see that tag "sign up for faster downloads" i can guarantee you, that the link won't work. And you know why?
Marketing.
"You could have this file, but without paying us, you will have a hard time getting the download started. In fact, we slow you down intentionally, cause we want to earn MONEY for other peoples work."
That's fact, don't tell me something about my machine, dude. You know it, and if you really believe in that sh** you're telling me, probably you should check your own. And I'm not speaking about my PC!

That reminds me of putting on my brown ribbon for today.

I don't know what you think you're talking about but you have definitely got the wrong idea.
Last edited by Wing Nut on Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SilverFox441 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:08 pm

I trust Pete...but as a designer I still went and tested the servers for hookup problems, slow D/L speeds (below the admitted limits) and the whole host of potential "scam" types that other sites have done.

Found everything worked just as advertised, and just the way I expected it too.

Pete is doing it right... a totally optional membership service alongside a totally functional free service, and both working correctly.
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby SaVas » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:58 am

I for one, do not mind contributing to a website's expense if it is an *option* to do so, and pete has graciously given everyone that option.

When pete originally said that was the direction he was headed, I easily joined up as this site is very informative, the people here are friendly whether a Mod or not, and I spent enough time as a contributing member before the option to become a premier member was given.

My thoughts are this ballistero, start up your own freeware website with downloads, build up a strong membership of contributing folks, with a forum, etc, and go without advertising from payware companies (which coincidentally will more than likely prefer screwing you over and not paying you the money you deserve) and see how long money in your pocket lasts. Pete never said you *had* to pay and you dont have to.

I also tried downloading from the non premier server and had no problems. It was slower, but still worked just fine, but I personally feel that pete deserves a few bucks from my pocket (the cost of two movie tickets without munchies) for a year of services simviation offers.

Respectfully,

Stephen
My life is like the movie Office Space
SaVas
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:10 am

This is a complete load of nonsense. I've had no problems at all downloading from the free site since the Premier membership started. It's no different now to how it was before.

Of course, this might depend if you're used to leaving your computer on all night while it's doing multiple downloads. I know some people do that which is what takes up a lot of bandwidth & caused problems for other users in the past. This site has been running for over 6 years now. Membership is optional as advertised. You can still download as many files as you wish & access the complete site, including this forum, perfectly free of charge.

Pete has done more than most people will ever know for the FS community. You should be thanking him from the bottom of your heart instead of complaining about non-existant problems. You either have optional membership or no Simviation. It's your choice.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ballistero » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:47 pm

Alright, it sums up to this:
The people, who run this site keep telling me everything is just fine. Nobody else votes, no other user minds this thing here. And these problems exist, no use in denial. None of you should seriously expect me to take him serious, when you dare to tell me, that i can't handle my computer correctly. The longer this thing is going, the more credits you loose, dudes. Don't act silly, friends, cause these problems started exactly that day, when the membership option came along. NEway. There have been no persons writing here, that are not involved in running this site, so i plainly shouldn't listen to you. Instead i would like to read some innocent bystanders.
ballistero
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 pm

I have absolutly nothing to do with the running of this site. And like i said its working fine for me. I was going to give you the benifit of the doubt and perhaps say there could be a server issue or something like that with your ISP rather than your computer.
If your using a download accelerator they wont work to the best of my knowledge. I believe some people have had issues with some of the browsers.
You have done nothing to help yourself with a rude attitude. If you had just said you had a problem, given the details of your operating system internet connection speed, and browser then you might have gotten somewhere.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Not that you're going to believe ME anyway, but *I*, for one, have forgotten my password information to go into the "members"
Last edited by Felix/FFDS on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pete » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:38 pm

As the above guys said - & said without any falseness due to what you may suspect could be a vested interest.

The free site IS freely & easily available - the files will quickly download with a max speed of 30KPS.

I guarrantee you there is no attempt to pull wool over anyone's eyes or give any false information for short term benefit on my side.

I am genuinely on the side of users. I am passionate about giving our users a great time here & certainly wouldn't take anything from this. I simply HAD to draw in the rope on the free for all abusive downloading that would have driven this site out of existance & me into bankrupsy. As it is things are just begining to get to a break even point.

I regularly check things from other PC's as well as ask friends to test things. & like the guys have said above - there is NO - ZERO- problem downloading files from our free server & 30KPS is an OK speed.  If you are having problems the way to go is approach things as a problem rather than suspecting there is a 'pay or die' attitude - which I can 100% assure you there isn't.

& the bottom line is this- server user logs are completely as they were before membership started  - & if people couldn't access files easily they wouldn't be using the site as much as they were before.

Like I said - sorry you're experiencing problems but this has something to do with how your software or ISP connects with our FTP server.
Last edited by pete on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Site Problems & Broken Links