Download problems on this site

Experiencing a problem using Simviation? Please ask questions or report problems you have here.

Re: Download problems on this site

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:41 pm

Just to point out that I'm not officially connected with this site. I'm not even a mod on this forum.

Felix is quite right as usual & I might have been a little harsh. You obviously have problems downloading files which you didn't have before. This might depend on your connection (broadband/dialup etc.) & your browser. Firefox has its own download manager & I haven't tried it on this site. It could also depend on which download manager you use, if you use one. I'm on dial-up & have always used DAP for downloading files from this & other sites with no problems at all. I haven't noticed any difference in download speeds from the free site since the Premier membership started. In fact it might have improved if anything. You are restricted to downloading one file at a time but this is what I've always done anyway. I can only speak from my own experience.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Stratobat » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:00 pm

There have been no persons writing here, that are not involved in running this site, so i plainly shouldn't listen to you. Instead i would like to read some innocent bystanders.

Don't know about innocent, but I don't have anything to do with the running of this site. I'm just someone who contributes to the File Library from time to time and who visit's the Forums here. I downloaded some add-ons from this site yesterday and everything went through normally!

Regards,
Stratobat
Last edited by Stratobat on Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'
Stratobat
Major
Major

Postby bm » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:17 pm

If you're after a few votes in your poll I suggest you add a few more options including something like "Thanks Pete for creating & maintaining the best site on the net!" & "I'm proud to be a premier member, pleased at last to be able to help out in even a small way!"..............

btw - I've been flying online for a month or so now and quite often suggest planes for the team to get with the link to the page at simV, not once has there been a problem with the free site.

Every time I see this post I feel quite enraged (Is it just me?)! I don't know how pete puts up with this sort of rubbish after all he's done over the years......
bm
Major
Major

Postby ballistero » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:34 pm

My System:
Athlon 2.1 Ghz
512mb ram (DDR 400)

WinXP, all Updates
Broadband 2 mBit (>240 Kb/s)

I use IE 6.0 to access the downloads here correctly. That's a special marks, since i avoid strictly using that NEwhere else.

I don't think that any more details would help beyond that.

My point is: I have used this page for years and years, without encountering any problems at all. Since the day the premier membership (sign up for faster downloads...) was installed here, i have the problems mentioned above. And i see a connection there. The only thing i download here are helicopters (fixed wing sucks), and whenever the tag appears to sign in for faster downloads, as a matter of fact the download ALWAYS fails. The usual files, the older ones can be accessed without any problems, if tagged, they fail more often. How the rest of you makes it to avoid these problems, i wish i only knew. But it is positively not connected to my provider or system, it's related to the membership option. Could anyone of you finally notice, that i am a pro in internet things, that my system runs properly, and that these problems exist, even though i use that f*** IE crap?!?
ballistero
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:48 pm

I don't download many files at all these days. In fact most of the files I download are for other people in order to check them out. I'm downloading a helicopter now to check it out for you. I haven't come across these tags you mentioned before but I had to disable DAP (my download manager) to download the file. This was no problem as it downloaded faster than it would have done with DAP enabled. I only use it for the Resume feature in case I get cut off while downloading large files.

I have no knowledge of broadband but I suspect your problem could be connected with you using a download manager. If so, try disabling it.

I think you would have got much better results by mailing Pete & asking for his advice rather than post this rather silly poll with only 2 negative choices.

PS. You might like to read this which is posted from the "Problems accessing files?" link on the main page of the site. http://www.simviation.com/accessprob.htm
It could well address your problem.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Proof

Postby SilverFox441 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:29 pm

Please note:

• I have nothing to do with running this place
  • I don't even have a Premium Membership (I keep fogetting to sign up) :(
  • I have no problem as can be seen in the image.
  • The "Sign Up" Messge is displayed

Pretty much ends the need for discussion...except to help you figure out what's wrong in your system or connection....doesn't it?
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby eno » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:29 am

If your such an Internet Pro ........ and you realise that IE sucks ...... try Mozilla most of us use it.

I too have nothing to do with the running of this site.
I have a premium membership to give something back to a site that has given me so much.
I have since getting my premium membership downloaded from both sides of the site, to test downloads for multiplayer sessions. At no time have I had any problems.

I would suggest that instead of being negative, which you have been about something in every post, you take an active part in the rest of the forums and ask about any problems you have in there.

You'd be amazed about how much people know and how much POSITIVE feedback you might get ....... who knows you might even learn something.

eno........ learning something new from SimV everyday  ;D ;D ;D
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ballistero » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:13 am

If i used a download manager i would have written it, wouldn't I?
http://www.simviation.com/pageimages/signupbar.gif this is what you should be looking for. In the newest files section there is none at the time.

What do you mean you don't know about broadband? DSL? Never heard? I'm the guy who surfes 40 times faster than you do! Oh, i love kids bitching around.
ballistero
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:21 am

What do you mean you don't know about broadband? DSL? Never heard? I'm the guy who surfes 40 times faster than you do!Oh, i love kids bitching around
Considering you just dis-respected one of our most respected members who is anything but a kid, my advice to you would be to just drop it. You want help, email the guy incharge.
And to me you sound like the kid "bitching" around to be honest with you. You have come on here complaining and insulting the people who have tried to help you and still you expect more help.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby eno » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:03 am

I think it's time we uttered the word that needs to be trumpeted.

TROLL

I think the benefit of the doubt has run out and it's time to ignore.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby SilverFox441 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:26 am

You mean that tag visible at the bottom?

The one on the file I'm downloading at a speed slightly FASTER than the advertised speed of 30KB/S?

The discussion is now over...unless you need help figuring out what's wrong with your system. :)
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:09 am

Guys - let's understand one thing.

I am going to give ballistero the benefit of the doubt and agree that he has had a d/l problem.

It is known that under certain circumstances/browsers (IE should not have problems) there are problems.

Okay, so most of us did not take kindly to his "method" of venting his frustration/problem.

This discussion is not going anywhere.

I would add to Silver Fox's comments, that ballistero contact pete directly to see if between the two they can resolve the issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Site Problems & Broken Links