NEWS FLASH - Helicopters no longer need a rotor

Videos! Discussion on Simulation, Game play, real aviation or other related video. Videos can be embedded links

NEWS FLASH - Helicopters no longer need a rotor

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:14 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr3ngmRuGUc[/youtube]

I think that we all understand why this happens, but for anyone who is interested...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQAKwCxScc[/youtube]

And for an added bonus....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFrMtCpo3Dk[/youtube]
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: NEWS FLASH - Helicopters no longer need a rotor

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Have you noticed that the wooden wagon wheels on those covered wagons in the old Cowboy and Indian films always revolve backwards.

Makes me wonder however they ever managed to make it all the way to the Pacific West!... :shock: ....!

Paul.....Yee-Haaa!.... :dance: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Fozzer wrote:Have you noticed that the wooden wagon wheels on those covered wagons in the old Cowboy and Indian films always revolve backwards.

Makes me wonder however they ever managed to make it all the way to the Pacific West!... :shock: ....!

Paul.....Yee-Haaa!.... :dance: ...!

Strong horses! :lol: :lol:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby H » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Fozzer wrote:Have you noticed that the wooden wagon wheels on those covered wagons in the old Cowboy and Indian films always revolve backwards.
Makes me wonder however they ever managed to make it all the way to the Pacific West!...
Sorry, Foz, one of those evers made it rather redundant... but, I suppose, you'd say you were trying put emphasis on it forever...
Nevertheless, to your topic of the reverse rotation, there's a number of speculative reasons (disregarding the camera's frame-rate in a filming). Forgive me, but this may be rather lengthy.
First, I'd like to interject, with not so much to do with our story, that most wagons of the time were made in the East (no kidding, you sarcastically say, "I'm sure they walked west to retrieve one and then headed west -- again!"). However, all of those stage coaches you see in the later western era had another name: the Concord Coach, manufactured to the north of Concord, NH; the folk singers, the Shaw Brothers, put out a couple songs in reference (The Concord Coach and Lucy, Come Ride in My Wagon). Back to speculation...
Said by an older fellow, "Go west, young man, go west," it could often be translated as, "Get the h### out of here -- I can barely afford what I've got without you taking a piece of it." This attitude was often countered by the mother (and, often, other concerned females -- mother-in-law, sisters, etc.) who didn't have the outright influence (or just preferred the more crafty approach) to stop the misguided directive of their younger ones heading off into alienating and hostile territory. So, you have those who would sabotage the gearing of the wagon wheels.
In the Midwest, there is a clay-like soil that can be very slick when wet, so here is one explanation for slip-sliding away. The wind can be extreme and, when from behind, you may not stop with your brakes engaged (yes, wagons had brakes) and, no matter which direction, rotating wheels would only assist the wind-produced skid.
Now, we've often seen the wagon train form a circle when under attack by natives. What's been forgotten is the original reason was more accidental: when the wheel gearing was sabotaged, they made one side more resistive than the other (usually the left side). This was negligible at slow speeds but putting the horses at a full run was more than the team could cope with. Once the first team was nose to the back of the last wagon, running in circles was useless, the only choice being to stop, retreat to the inside if the circle and try to defend yourselves.
Well, I hope you don't mind the narrative and that you've learned a little... even if very little...

:whistle:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:07 pm

@H....

...sorry about the excess of; evers....

...as the youngsters of today say....>>>>

...Whatever!.... :confusion-shrug: ...!

Re: The "Covered wagons". I remember you told me the story about them, and where they were made, many years ago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_wagon

I am always fascinated with your tales of America and Americans/American Indians in the far distant past.

...except the; "Wagon train circle" story.... :? ..... :lol: ....!

History lessons!

Paul.... :D
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Fozzer wrote:Re: The "Covered wagons". I remember you told me the story about them, and where they were made, many years ago!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_wagon
Not to confuse the covered wagons, of various origins, to the suspensioned stagecoaches
since we started this in a helicopter post, it gives comparison in the 19th century format; like most ground vehicles, they all depended upon rotors (wheels). As Mark Twain reflected, the Concord Coach could do some low-altitude flying compared to the heliko (Gr.spiraling) with/without wings (Gr.pteron = wing) common covered wagons -- which, at their best speed, gave one hel# of a ride...

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby H » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:07 am

Here's something a little strange, Foz, I noted the redundancy of ever but not a more obvious error in physics. According to your statement
I properly used the word 'rotate' without noting that you hadn't. Now we really don't know how they made it west... I don't know which way denotes revolving backwards but it must have been a harrowing experience to sit on/in one of those wagons with those wheels revolving all around it...
:confusion-seeingstars:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Video