The weather outside is frightful

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

The weather outside is frightful

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:50 am

It's no secret that I like real-time weather. So when I found this site, I just had to find a bad place to fly. :D

Weather, Hazards, Emergency Preparedness

And talk about BAD!

But by the time that you look at it, the snow storm will probably be over.

This is from Madison, Wisconsin. Dane County Regional Airport - KMSN, in particular.

Most of the flight would just be a white screen so here's just the landing, and if you couldn't find the airport by your instruments you'd never find it.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but there was snow blowing across the runway. Yes, it was VERY windy.

Landing on an aircraft carrier is easy. Just try landing, with your own hands, at an airport that you can't see until you're right on top of it.
:D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: The weather outside is frightful

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:19 am

Good morning Sir... <<q

Wonderful set of screenshots.

You have probably picked one of the best aircraft simulated or otherwise to land in Marginal VFR and not so popular flying conditions... :lol:

NO ONE has built a better STOL Aeroplane than DeHavilland of Canada.

Landing an aircraft in IFR or Marginal VFR takes experience and training but it also helps to have a good Steed under your BUTT especially if the runway pops up right in front of you and you do not know the surrounding terrain.

Now if you want to give yourself a few more white hairs perhaps here is an idea.

(1) Lower the visibility and increase the winds a little bit...add a bit more blowing snow if you can...

(2) Fly the Approach again with the same simulated aeroplane...

(3) NOW...leaving the settings the same....change aircraft....the Douglas DC3/DAK/C47, a large taildragger yes, but you will soon see yourself what the difference is when having a STOL Aeroplane.

(4) What I do is set up the Approach and SAVE IT...Saves redoing the Simulated Flight and allows me to make changes to my techniques and the program.

(5) It would be Real Nice to be able to do GCAs (Ground Controlled Approaches) where the Air Traffic GCA Controller talks you down...about the only place to do those now is at a Military Airport, NATO still practices them, but again Morse Code is also still used and practiced by the Military.
I did quite a few of those, one memorable one was in a DeHavilland of Canada DHC-3 Radial Engine Otter in the winter. The wheels touched down just as I saw the runway... :lol: ....YUP...Still got all my Hair... :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-co ... d_approach

I am still trying all different kinds of things with this electronic gizmo, still trying to make MIST...unsuccessful so far.

Keep up the great work posting those screenshots, we all enjoy them... ;)

P.S. Thanks for the Weather Link...just had a look at it... :clap:
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:33 am

Thanks for the tips, Doug.

What you see is my third attempt at finding the beginning of the runway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe that the wind speed at the airport had gusts up to 30 - 40 MPH. I've just checked and things are much calmer now. But at the time I was all over the place. :D

The runway "slush", and I think the drifting snow, are due to PrecipitFX.

Weather, Hazards, Emergency Preparedness, does a good job of helping you to find adverse weather.

That, and LightningMaps.org can make flying a bit more interesting. :D

I have to repeat myself on this program, PrecipitFX, - It's not essential, and the effects are sometimes subtle, but for $15USD, from fsfxpackages.com, it's a very nice add-on. Without it, the picture above would just be another dry runway picture.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:13 am

Winter is not the only time you can find bad weather. I use Active Sky Next and it can reproduce a Hurricane. Now if you want some hair whitening experiences you need to try this.
If you notice my AVATAR it is my Squadron Logo I was in VW4 otherwise known as the Hurricane Hunters. And I have actually flown through a real Hurricane at 500 feet above sea level not at the 20 to 25,000 feet that the Air Force does. The last one I flew though the winds were so bad that it actually slightly bent the Radar support so much that we had a hard time retracting it and you cannot land with it down as it extends below the nose wheel.
We were in a WP3 with a huge radar in the bomb bay which is right behind the nose wheel.
We had to extend or lower it so as not to get a false blip from the nose of the aircraft.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase