Wild, Wild West

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Wild, Wild West

Postby GlobalHobo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:51 am

Doing a little flight-seeing out in the western USA.

Monument Valley, Utah

Grand Canyon NP, Arizona

Yosemite NP, California (The autogen Yosemite Village is a little wacky-looking,

but okay if you don't look too closely. Focus on Half Dome.)

Crater Lake NP, Oregon

Denali NP, Alaska
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Wild, Wild West

Postby Roypcox » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:00 pm

I thought your pics were stunning, thanks Hobo!!!!!
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Very nice shots indeed :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap:
Can I ask what scenery was used

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Truly great shots.Wonderful colours.

Looks like Orbx scenery.

Anthin. :o :clap:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby GlobalHobo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Shadowcaster wrote:Can I ask what scenery was used

You can ask... :-) I'll try to explain, but I've done so much tinkering with my FS9 setup that I not sure I could exactly duplicate it if I started from a clean install. With that caveat, here goes:

I'm using FSGlobal 2008 Terrain Mesh. It's payware, and it's probably no better than the freeware mesh available from FSGenesis, but the whole world is in one place instead of having to do 200 separate downloads, so it was worth it for me.
On top of that are Aimee Leclerq's Terrain Emergence Project textures. TEP is a huge improvement over the default global textures.

Those textures are arranged by a couple of Landclass mods. The first is fsglc_us.bgl pulled from Bill Lyon's Golden Wings project. It is apparently a freeware version of a payware FSGenesis product. It makes huge improvements in USA Lanclass, particularly west of the Rockies. The other, which doesn't really show up in these shots, is called GIS Landclass. That one revises how urban areas are displayed and really improves the look of cities and towns.

Vertical terrain is handled with distinct texture files, and I modified these with a file called cliffs.zip. It was done for FS8, but FS9 uses the same textures. The cliffs come in grey, brown and orange shades, but I found the orange textures, found mostly in the Southwest, to be a little too orange, so I bumped them a little toward a browner shade and desaturated the color. I think it makes the Grand Canyon look pretty good.

I kind of wish I had some "before" shots to do a real comparison. BTW, all of this stuff (except Golden Wings) can be accessed from http://www.freewarescenery.com/ . There's a ton of stuff on there to keep you distracted!
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Wonderful Shots GlobalHobo...well done... :clap:

You sure seem to know what you are doing when it comes to Flight Simming.

Have you done anything to enhance the look of water and what do you think of Flight Simulator Water Configurator :?: I run that along with REX Essential and ORBX.
Not sure if the three of them conflict or not...have not had too many problems lately with Float Planes and Water.

Thanks for that Link...had a quick look to see what was available here in Canada...surprised to see it was updated just last month. Will have a closer look later.
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks for the info, as Doug said you know your way around a sim, very impressive. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase