Bye-Bye, Butch...

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Bye-Bye, Butch...

Postby GlobalHobo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:12 pm

Departing KORD in POSky's 737-800.

I miss American's old livery. Is it just me, or is their new logo reminiscent of Greyhound? Apropos, perhaps...
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Bye-Bye, Butch...

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Before I get started, let me say - Great pictures. :D

Whoever "we" are, from different continents, and different countries, I think that "we" like the airlines of our youth.

I remember looking up into the New York sky's (before even JFK was built) and picking out the airlines & airplane types. Somewhere around 2,000 to 2,500 feet above our house.

So naturally, I still like the "old" airplanes. And, naturally, the old colors.

Luckily for me, Caltabiano Nunzio, did a paint job (aircraft included) for the DeHavilland Dash 7.

And this plane, along with my Orbx city of Concrete Airport, is my "home base".

For authenticity, not all that correct. Although Piedmont Airlines did have Dash 7s, and Piedmont was part of the American Eagle system (which was/is US Airways Express, a branch of American Airlines), so this color scheme could have, almost, been real.

Whatever. Thank you Caltabiano Nunzio.

As to the new AA color scheme, :confusion-shrug: .

People & companies often change things just to prove that they are still alive. Vibrant is the useless and overused word for it, I suppose.

So this change fits in with all the other "vibrant" airlines.

Many years from now, a little kid will look up into the sky and say - "I don't like the new paint scheme". :lol:
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:19 am

Talking about "vibrant" airlines when I first began working for Northwest Airlines in 1992 the aircraft had a simple blue and white stripe down the length of the fuselage and a red tail with a white logo. The logo was a representation of a "W" and a compass needle pointing to the northwest. It was the same on both sides of the aircraft.

Simple and easy to apply and maintain. Then they went to the "Bowling Shoe" paint scheme but the tail logo stayed the same.

A few years later the "Brains At The Top" decided to change the scheme again but this time more "Vibrant" and in step with the times. We called it the "Beer Can" scheme.

The logo was simplified and made larger. A second logo was painted on the forward fuselage also. The only problem was when they designed the paint scheme for the right side of the aircraft the logo got switched around so it faced NORTHEAST!

When many of the employees made mention of this oversight we were given the excuse that they (the "Brains At The Top") wanted people to think of Northwest as a "forward looking " airline. No one believed that one for a second. They screwed up and didn't want to admit it. True story I'm sorry to say.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby GlobalHobo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:01 am

Airmail, I love your perspective on things! Hawkeye, I remember when NWA adopted the "Beer Can" scheme. The company I flew for at the time used Northwest's training facilities in Eagan. We scratched our heads, but as NWA guests, we kept our thoughts to ourselves. Thank you both for reviving some great memories.
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:34 am

GlobalHobo wrote:Airmail, I love your perspective on things! Hawkeye, I remember when NWA adopted the "Beer Can" scheme. The company I flew for at the time used Northwest's training facilities in Eagan. We scratched our heads, but as NWA guests, we kept our thoughts to ourselves. Thank you both for reviving some great memories.

You're welcome! :D

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase