Nanaimo

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

Nanaimo

Postby Rifleman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:39 pm

I know this is going to be appreciated by a few inlanders......these are so commonplace on the coast, its hard not to post a shot of one or two, once in a while.....

Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Nanaimo

Postby pegger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 pm

I'm not an islander. In fact, I've never had the pleasure to visit Vancouver Island. I've been firmly planted in the fertile soils of the Red River basin my whole life.

Those turbo otters, however, are common place throughout the northern reaches of my fair province, and serve the role of transport into the most difficult places to reach at any time of the year (down to about -45c, as I have come to understand from the poor pilots who truck me and my survey crews around. Apparently trying to start those engines in that cold is more effort than it is worth!)

The trusty turbo otter...top of the class in my books. Thanks for the beautiful photos!
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Superb shots, :clap: :clap: any photos featuring Beaver, Otters and the PNW are always appreciated. :dance: :dance: I have never been to the USA but I do spend a lot of time walking virtually with Google Earth and flying with FSX and ORBX around the west coast from California to Alaska.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:58 am

Nice pictures Ken...thanks for posting them.

By the way Ken, we got our first taste of Winter here in the Trenton, Ontario area yesterday, some say close to 4 or 5 inches. The Farmers and folks living on wells sure need the Snow as there was a real lack of Rain this year. A lot of Dairy Farmers sold off their Milk Quota and Herds, costs a lot of money to buy Water daily.
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:40 am

Nice one Ken! We don't get to see many floatplanes around these parts.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:46 am

Great snaps Ken ;-)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stormm_29 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Great photos, I live in the Nanaimo area myself and see these aircraft multiple times per hour
Stormm_29
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Getting a bit chilly in Vancouver (BC) now, Ken!... :roll: .....>>>>

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_ ... t=imperial

Time to lay the bike up for the winter...or carry on riding?

Chilly in England, but no snow so far!

All year riding for me, come wind, hail or snow! (No other choice!).... :? ....!

Lovely pics, Ken....

Best for you and Wendy. Have a good Xmas!

Paul.....Rebelling on a Honda!.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Winter has definitely arrived in the Midwest USA too. Here at KAXN we're into our third snow storm of the season. Snowing all day today and into Saturday afternoon. 4-5 inches expected then the Arctic air pushes in and pushes our temps down to possibly -35°F (-37°C) with the wind chill factor. On the southern end of Minnesota it's looking like possibly 8-10 inches.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:35 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:Winter has definitely arrived in the Midwest USA too. Here at KAXN we're into our third snow storm of the season. Snowing all day today and into Saturday afternoon. 4-5 inches expected then the Arctic air pushes in and pushes our temps down to possibly -35°F (-37°C) with the wind chill factor. On the southern end of Minnesota it's looking like possibly 8-10 inches.

..... :o ....!

You've thrown me off-kilter again, Hawk!

Minnesota, up near snowy, North Dakota "FARGO" county...on the Borders of snowy Canada!

I always see the "Mid-West" as Kansas/Oklahoma region; Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz....Warm.....with occasional Tornados, reaching down to Texas (Takes-Us)!

Alan, [Viper pilot] always catches me out on local temperatures!
I only see his low-level Colorado as a hot, sunny region (apart from high up in the mountains).
So he surprises me with his ice and snow!

I'm surprise by my Biker Chums relaying stories of "Cold" (50*F) riding weather in Florida...of all places!... :o ....!

...and my Mates in New England are already shovelling snow every morning!

I suppose you don't get really hot in the Winter until you drop down over the border (The Great Trump Wall) into Mexico.... ;) ...!

Weather: Its all to do with "Tilt".....>>> http://earthsky.org/earth/can-you-expla ... ur-seasons.

I try tilting myself over in the Winter...but it's still cold and uncomfortable for me.... :roll: ....!

Funny old stuff..."Weather". Some folks like it...some folks don't!.... :? ...!

My Biker chums in the North envy the Southerners year-round warmth, and the Bikers in the South envy the Northerners colourful seasonal foliage!

The worst of the Winter has yet to come for me...January and February.... :( ....!

Paul....Weathering the Weather, Whether or not.... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Paul,
Yeah the weather weather here in the upper Midwest can be pretty harsh at times. Usually we don't get this kind of weather until later in the season like around the end of January and first part of February. It's not quite as bad here as it is in the Dakotas. There it is totally flat and there are no wind breaks. It just comes screaming down from the arctic. There have been times where it was so cold and so much snow fell that ranchers in Montana and the western Dakotas couldn't get feed out to their cattle and the grass was frozen and buried. The cattle died by the hundreds. Just froze to death. Now I haven't heard of that in the last ten or twenty years but it has happened and more than once.

Luckily our forecasted snow fall total has turned out to be wrong again. We only got about 3" but it is still forecasted to hit -27°F this afternoon with the wind chill factor. Now the big problem is icy roads. Our daughter Luci's birthday was yesterday and we were planning to take her down to Minneapolis for a shopping trip at the Mall of America. I just looked at the Dept of Transportation traffic map for the metro area (Minneapolis / St. Paul) and there are many car crashes and vehicles that have spun out and are stuck in the ditches.

All the diamonds on this map are crashes or spin outs. I just downloaded this map 10 minutes ago. No way are we going there today! :naughty: I was born dumb, not stupid... :lol:

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:17 pm

Hello Hawk!

I have taken the US example of reading all my Weather Maps and Forecasts in Fahrenheit, instead of Centigrade....

32 degrees F is always warmer that 0 degrees C.... :) ....

....and 70 degrees F in my living room always seems much warmer than 20 degrees C, and 32 degrees C gives me a nice, hot 90 degrees F outside..... :dance: ....!

...and my wind speed is always in MPH...not daft km/h.... ;) ...!

Whenever Snow in mentioned in North Dakota, the wonderful film; "FARGO", with Police Chief Marg Gunderson, is always uppermost in my mind....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_(film)

..that's what I call Snowy Conditions!....."Yah, you betcha"...... :o ...!

...and, of course, its always raining, non-stop, in Seattle, Washington!.... :roll: ...!

I'm always fascinated with Weather!

My Sunday's Forecast...(Hereford).....>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/hr4?day=0

Paul.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Fozzer wrote:Hello Hawk!
I have taken the US example of reading all my Weather Maps and Forecasts in Fahrenheit, instead of Centigrade....
32 degrees F is always warmer that 0 degrees C.... :) ....
....and 70 degrees F in my living room always seems much warmer than 20 degrees C, and 32 degrees C gives me a nice, hot 90 degrees F outside..... :dance: ....!
...and my wind speed is always in MPH...not daft km/h.... ;) ...!

Whenever Snow in mentioned in North Dakota, the wonderful film; "FARGO", with Police Chief Marg Gunderson, is always uppermost in my mind....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_(film)
..that's what I call Snowy Conditions!....."Yah, you betcha"...... :o ...!
...and, of course, its always raining, non-stop, in Seattle, Washington!.... :roll: ...!

I'm always fascinated with Weather!

My Sunday's Forecast...(Hereford).....>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/hr4?day=0

Paul.... :D ...!

FARGO cracks me up! The folks here in Minnesota are of two minds. Some liked the movie and thought it portrayed Minnesota accurately and others hated it and thought it was demeaning.
Personally not being a native I thought it was right on. I see people here who are fourth and fifth generation who still try to come across with a Scandinavian accent. Utterly ridiculous!
And they way over do it with the Viking dribble. Just here an Alexandria we have the VIKING Speedway, VIKING Coca Cola distributor, VIKING Plaza, VIKING Garage Door Co. VIKING Laundromat, VIKINGland Book Store, VIKING Auto Towing Service, etc, etc. Not to forget this guy...

Meet Big Ole who resides at the head of our main downtown street, Broadway. Take a look at his shield and you'll see another bit of local lore that is argued about quite often. :lol:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:13 pm

Paul, I looked at your weather link and I saw your temps are going to be rather consistent for the week but am I reading the Humidity right? It looks like not a day below 95% humidity.
That reminds me of the islands of Bermuda during the summer.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:33 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:Paul, I looked at your weather link and I saw your temps are going to be rather consistent for the week but am I reading the Humidity right? It looks like not a day below 95% humidity.
That reminds me of the islands of Bermuda during the summer.

High Humidity..... :o ....!

..the reason why we have lots of green stuff growing!.... :lol: ....!

To me, its "Damp", and it affects my old bones!... :( ...!

The reason why I envy the folks who live in the South West USA...with their Deserts.....dry places!

"Fargo", and the "Scandinavians", etc....Marge interviewing the two "pro's"...Yaa...Yaaa....Yaaaa... :lol: ....!

...and the Chinese bloke in the restaurant....Yaaa....Yaaa....

...and it like like its gonna snow!...."Yaaa, you betchya!".... ;) ....!

I suspect that Joel and Ethan had a grand-old-time winding up the locals during the filming!.... :lol: ....!

I loved Carter Burwell's music in the film! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Burwell

It would appear that much of the NE USA was populated by Northern European immigrants...England; like our Ken (Rifleman!) in British Colombia.....

...from one cold place...to another cold place!

Paul.....100% Humidity means its raining outside!... :doh: ..... :lol: .....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Photos & Cameras