Doubledecker Bus

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

Doubledecker Bus

Postby Roughrider » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:35 pm

I thought some of you would get a kick out of this, I got a chance to do some spotting today (will post some shots later), This is what was parked in the Airport parking lot. This is the first time I have ever seen a double decker bus. The owner was there and we started talking, he is trying to get this tour company up and running in Pittsburgh, His first tour is this Saturday.
Canon Rebel XTi (400D)
Canon EFS 17-85mm
Canon EF 70-300mm
Canon EF 100-400L
Roughrider
Major
Major

Re: Doubledecker Bus

Postby MWISimmer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:20 pm

[quote]He told me the Make and model and Year, Does anyone want to guess?
MWISimmer

Postby Roughrider » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:30 am

Nice Guess Rob, The owner told me it was a 1964 Leahland Routemaster, How did you know that?
Canon Rebel XTi (400D)
Canon EFS 17-85mm
Canon EF 70-300mm
Canon EF 100-400L
Roughrider
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Nice Guess Rob, The owner told me it was a 1964 Leahland Routemaster, How did you know that?

Answer...
.....because we've spent most of our lives travelling on them....dear old things!... :-*...!

Paul..."Any more Fares, please?"..."Plenty of room on top"..."Standing room only"....Joy!

.... ;D....!

Leyland Routemaster.... ;)..!
Last edited by Fozzer on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:03 pm

This is the first time I have ever seen a double decker bus.

:o You haven't lived. Double decker buses pass my house every 15 minutes or so. :P ;)

Should be plenty of Routemasters on the market since London Transport replaced theirs with those awful bendy buses.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:06 pm

This is the first time I have ever seen a double decker bus.

:o You haven't lived. Double decker buses pass my house every 15 minutes or so. :P ;)

Should be plenty of Routemasters on the market since London Transport replaced theirs with those awful bendy buses.

To sit on the front seat, at the top of a double-decker bus, observing the scenery all around, and below, is a wonderful experience!... :)....!

A Routemaster Double-Decker Omnibus is a magical beast!... ;D...!

Paul....happy memories!...;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:13 pm

To sit on the front seat, at the top of a double-decker bus, observing the scenery all around, and below, is a wonderful experience!... :)....!

I do it regularly & it doesn't cost me a penny. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Sounds too good to be true doesn't it? I'm taking full advantage of my old codgers free bus pass before they knock it on the head.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby MWISimmer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:35 pm

As Paul said, they are (well were) a part of life here in London. Most of them were built in 1964.. an educated guess  ;)

Not forgetting the pretending to drive... that was the best bit!  :D
MWISimmer

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:01 pm

The usual boarding practice was to grab hold of the vertical pole whilst the bus was moving, swing round it and land inside the bus...>>>>

...but I can remember, in the early 1950's, doing just that with a box of matches in my trouser pocket...

My collision with the Pole exploded the Matches in the crushed Matchbox, and set alight to my trousers!... :o...!

...the after effects are still a haze in my memory!..... ::)...!

..yet another good reason not to Smoke!... :'(...!

Paul... ;D... ;D... ;D...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby zeberdee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:11 pm

Up north we had the doubledecker trolley buses. Dam cold in winter. Happy days :)
If your not part of the answer    your part of the problem!  
I've often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming.
zeberdee
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Up north we had the doubledecker trolley buses. Dam cold in winter. Happy days :)

We also had the trolleys in Brighton. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/2087115400/

London had them too.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:06 am

Trolley Bus Tram Lines...

..deadly for Cyclists and Motorcyclists... :'(....

Get your wheels trapped in them, and you are following them, wherever they go...which is mostly not where you want to go!.. :o...!

(Must cross them at right-angles!)... ;)...!

Overhead Electric Cables, with an overhead pick-up on top of the Trolley....and lots of sparks!... ;D...!

Happy Days... ;)...!

Paul...mostly off his trolley!.... :)...!

This Thread is bringing back lots of happy memories for me, during my time in London....(1930's/'40's, and '50's), (when London belonged to us)... ;)... ;)...!
.... ;D....!
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:18 am

Trolley Bus Tram Lines...

..deadly for Cyclists and Motorcyclists... :'(....

Get your wheels trapped in them, and you are following them, wherever they go...which is mostly not where you want to go!.. :o...!

(Must cross them at right-angles!)... ;)...!

You're thinking of trams Paul. Trolley buses don't run on rails.

Some parts of London & Brighton had both trams & trolley buses on the same routes.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roughrider » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:23 am

When you say trolley, this is what I know as a trolley in Pittsburgh.

http://www.sundayriverproductions.com/detail.aspx?id=46

From the picture Doug attached, your trolleys still look like a bus. Our trolleys had steel wheels and ran on a track.

I was so excited when I saw that double decker bus, I might even go this weekend and ride on it so I can see all the fun you guys had for all those years. Hope I can get the front seat on the top deck. ;D
Last edited by Roughrider on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canon Rebel XTi (400D)
Canon EFS 17-85mm
Canon EF 70-300mm
Canon EF 100-400L
Roughrider
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:37 am

I was so excited when I saw that double decker bus, I might even go this weekend and ride on it so I can see all the fun you guys had for all those years. Hope I can get the front seat on the top deck. ;D

I can still do that every day but not on a Routemaster. Our double deckers are a tad more modern with doors & disabled access. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/south/news2_2022.html
You might have to fight for that front seat. Of course, the ultimate is an open topped bus during the summer . ;)

You can still have a ride on a trolley bus or even drive one at Sandtoft in Devon. http://www.sandtoft.org.uk/

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Photos & Cameras