Moved hard drive, now odd behaviours.

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Moved hard drive, now odd behaviours.

Postby arfyhun » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 am

Greetings all, I have moved the hard drive with all my CFS games (multi-installs) from a 98SE machine to an XP kit. I have not attempted to fly CFS1 for a couple of years but now I've started I have met a number of problems, (mostly XP shortening folder descriptions, "Glad ~1" sort of job).

One problem I cannot overcome (and I can't truthfully say if this is due to the move) is Piglet's Whirlwind starts to spin horizontally on the ground when the throttle is opened. I have done a clean install of the A/C with no avail. Only this A/C is displaying this type of behaviour so far.

My money is on it being the A/C but I'm sure I flew the Whirlwind from the ground without a hitch years ago. I would remember a stunt like this. Airstarts are O.K.

I am searching like mad presently for the CFS1 disc to do a clean install.

Has anyone out there in the 'ether' met this?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Regards, Graham Sullivan. London.
Last edited by arfyhun on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Moved hard drive, now odd behaviours.

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:44 pm

You will need to re-install as you've moved to a different machine and OS.
The problem is the program doesn't think it is installed correctly in the registry, personally I'm amazed it started at all.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arfyhun » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks Oz for the reply,

I didn't think CFS needed to be in the registry. Both CFS1 & 2 work since the move, the Whirlwind is the only A/C which displays this behaviour. I tried the 'options' box to see if the yaw option was ticked but it was not highlighted. That was my last clue to a fix.

I know you're right in that a clean install is the way forwards, I'll just have to get off my proverbial and re-purchase both discs. But it's still the only plane to do it which makes me think there may not be any change.

As I have a host of other oddities happening, ('E' for engine start no longer in the assignment list and the list not opening up to re-assign, being just one) you have pushed me to stop spending my life trying to sort out the probs and start spending my money!

It's not easy being mean!

Will buy a new disc and will update this thread soonest.

Many thanks Oz,

Regards, Graham. London.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Have you tried editing the aircraft control files at all Graham?
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arfyhun » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Wouldn't know where or how to start, Ozzy. But if it is the A/C, as I'm sure it must be somehow, wouldn't the problem have been noticed and highlighted before now by a flyer on the forum? And if the control files of the plane were corrupt, how come it's a peach in the air. nnnrrrrr.

As you correctly say, a clean install has to be the first step. There is a copy on Ebay with five days to go, I am going to aim for that one, unless I find my original (have the box and paperwork - no disc, usual story) first.

Will update in a week or so.

Many thanks mate for your patience.

Graham. London.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Graham, if I can find my CFS1 disk I'll load it up on my XP machine and see if I can replicate the problem. If I can I'll try and work out a fix for you ;)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby H » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Just a mention from one with multi CFS installs (folder and .exe renamed according to which operational theater and which war). One other problem I've had is in opening script files with wordpad; word 6.0 was in use when CFS1 was a current program and, due to hacking problems, XP won't open them by default (a registry entry can be entered to do so). Most of the default files for missions, etc., will yet open with notepad, however.

8-)
Last edited by H on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator