Suggested Readings

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Suggested Readings

Postby Scorpiоn » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:53 pm

One of my few posts that isn't a question...

I invite an argument to my statement, but I'm pretty sure the reality of war, even in things like the Battle of Britain, were skirmishes rather than great confrontations.
Last edited by Scorpiоn on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Re: Suggested Readings

Postby WebbPA » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:12 am

I'll look into it but I suggest that each side grossly overestimated the losses of the other side.  If you were to to check the losses which each side admitted I think you would find they were about 10% of what the other side estimated.

This gives me a chance to pass on another piece of gory war trivia - on what date in history did the most American military die?  (Hint - it wasn't 6/6/44)
Last edited by WebbPA on Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:29 am

http://www.brooksart.com/BoBloss.html

Claims vs actuals.  One has to be carefuly when reading about "claims"

The link I state above indicates a daily tally of losses during the BoB.  Sept 27 1940 shows a LW/RAF split of 55/26 losses, on that day alone.

Losses of German tanks totalled approx. 300 tanks, with Soviet estimates at a similar number.

While the numbers were considerable, I seruiously doubt that there were 1M pieces of armour, total, among the combatants.

I'd have to do more serious research on the subject, though.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:58 am

[quote]I heard the Soviets lost over 1 million pieces of armour!
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:20 pm

[quote]

This gives me a chance to pass on another piece of gory war trivia - on what date in history did the most American military die?
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Facts and Figures

Postby Scorpiоn » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:02 am

Well, it had dawned on me that the claimes were a "bit" more exagerated than usual with 173 Soviet claims, vs. 26 actual German losses.  But nonetheless quite impressive.  For that level of claims to take place, there has to be a lot of skirmishing taking place in the sky.  Awesome, even if no one gets shot down!

Duel for the Sky deals only with air power, and my million knowledge comes from le brain, not the book.  Although I find your facts much more probable, Hagar.  Perhaps the USSR lost 1 million armour peices throughout the whole war?  I'll look into it.

My book also covers the BoB, and it states the RAF had a tendency to exxagerate claims much more than the Luftwaffe, whom had much more accurate claims.  In the RAF's defence however, 109s (and perhaps others?) did dive to escape danger, giving RAF pilots the impression they were crashing.
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Re: Facts and Figures

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:11 am

[quote]

My book also covers the BoB, and it states the RAF had a tendency to exxagerate claims much more than the Luftwaffe, whom had much more accurate claims.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Facts and Figures

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:04 am

[quote]My book also covers the BoB, and it states the RAF had a tendency to exxagerate claims much more than the Luftwaffe, whom had much more accurate claims.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Moolah

Postby Scorpiоn » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:17 pm

This isn't the only book I have, but it is the most complete.  Most of my oter books concentrate on machines rather than battles.  And of course, the great factor here is...  money.  My mother previously said I could get a book a month, which is pretty good, but now that my dad is out of a job, she seems to have come down with amnesia.
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:33 pm

You don't need to rely on books. There are many articles on the WWW you can find with a quick search on Google. I use the RAF official BoB site to verify my own information. http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/bobhome.html
Remember that the daily reports are the official records of the time, not the revised figures. There are also excellent documentaries shown on TV but these are not always historically correct. I can't recommend a definitive history as many of them contain inaccuracies. Len Deighton's "Fighter" is one of the better ones but even this has been criticised in some quarters.

In the end you have to read as much as you can on the subject & draw your own conclusions.

PS. I read several reviews on Duel for the Sky. One complaint was that "lack of space prevented the inclusion of a bibliography, which is too bad given that he appears to have done a great deal of research." Not knowing his sources makes the "facts" he based it on dubious to say the least. IMHO

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby WebbPA » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:06 pm

I'd have to venture that it was one of the bloody US Civil War battles - not Gettysburg, though.

You were partly right - it was at Gettysburg.  About 25,000 if I recall.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:05 pm

[quote]

You were partly right - it was at Gettysburg.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to History