Just when you think.....

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Just when you think.....

Postby Fozzer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:12 pm

...that the sky all around you is empty...>>>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-38203019

Sometimes it isn't.

Sad News.

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Just when you think.....

Postby C » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Fozzer wrote:...that the sky all around you is empty...>>>>

Sometimes it isn't.

Sad News.

Paul.

It very often isn't. The number of people who think it is sensible to blat around the sky in the 21st century without radios or a transponder or even the simplest anti collision device is astounding. Even worse are those that have them but do not use them. I'm not saying that was a factor in this incident, but still, it's worth thinking about, and it may well be.

Sad news indeed. At least the powered craft survived.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:16 pm

C wrote:
Fozzer wrote:...that the sky all around you is empty...>>>>

Sometimes it isn't.

Sad News.

Paul.

It very often isn't. The number of people who think it is sensible to blat around the sky in the 21st century without radios or a transponder or even the simplest anti collision device is astounding. Even worse are those that have them but do not use them. I'm not saying that was a factor in this incident, but still, it's worth thinking about, and it may well be.

Sad news indeed. At least the powered craft survived.

As the glider does not look like a motor floater, I am assuming that he was from a local club and at this time of year was just doing up, around and down. Could it be the the power was flying through a know glider launch area which if being done by winch means a max altitude of around 1000 feet at peak and then getting lower every minute, no thermals at this time of year....?

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Husbands Bosworth glider site is a very busy one. There aren't many thermals around here at the moment! I don't know I feel they winch or tow at HB, and Lubenham is 6 or 7Km from the glider site. Either way, a horrible thing. The RAF had a similar moment when a Tutor hit a glider near Didcot; on that day the glider pilot survived but the AEF pilot and cadet didn't. Now they have a traffic avoidance system which should give info on any transponding aircraft, even just mode S, and also use the glider oreintated FLARM system.

I know from experience there are those who prefer to chance their own lives and those of others and not spend the money on a lifesaving bit of kit.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Real Aviation