A-320 Aircraft crash in the Alps....

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

A-320 Aircraft crash in the Alps....

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Latest news...>>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32030270

Terrible news!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: A-320 Aircraft crash in the Alps....

Postby Matthaiis91 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:38 pm

So sad.. I can't believe some of the photos coming from the crash area. That plane was moving when it hit
Matthaiis91
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Webb » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:56 pm

Several Germanwings flights cancelled after crew refused to fly

Several Germanwings flights were cancelled on Tuesday after their crews refused to fly, as it emerged that the aircraft which crashed in the French Alps had been grounded for an hour for repairs the day before the accident.

Pilots and cabin crew refused to fly over concerns the crash may have been linked to a repair to the nose-wheel landing doors on Monday, according to an unconfirmed report in Spiegel magazine.

Lufthansa denied that there was any link between the repair and the cancelled flights.

Crews were refusing to fly for “personal reasons”, a spokesman for the airline group said ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:00 am

Looking at that site from the air, and vast the amount of; "confetti" scattered over such a large are, (the largest piece the size of a small motor-car), I would suspect the the plane broke up long before reaching the ground!

No fuel?...no fire?...

Its all very strange at the moment!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:24 am

Fozzer wrote:Looking at that site from the air, and vast the amount of; "confetti" scattered over such a large are, (the largest piece the size of a small motor-car), I would suspect the the plane broke up long before reaching the ground!

No fuel?...no fire?...

Its all very strange at the moment!

Paul.

In aviation crash terms that is quite a small crash sight. Had the aircraft broken up in the air, it would potentially be scattered over tens of square miles. As for no fire, yes, that is a very good question.....? However, I leave the speculation to the tabloids, they have far more experience in aviation matters than me.......... :shock:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:30 am

Webb wrote:Several Germanwings flights cancelled after crew refused to fly

Several Germanwings flights were cancelled on Tuesday after their crews refused to fly, as it emerged that the aircraft which crashed in the French Alps had been grounded for an hour for repairs the day before the accident.

Pilots and cabin crew refused to fly over concerns the crash may have been linked to a repair to the nose-wheel landing doors on Monday, according to an unconfirmed report in Spiegel magazine.

Lufthansa denied that there was any link between the repair and the cancelled flights.

Crews were refusing to fly for “personal reasons”, a spokesman for the airline group said ...

So if it was "unconfirmed" why did Der Spiegel magazine print it? Ah yes, sensationalism we'll sell more mags with this B.S. story. We really don't care about the distress we might be causing the families of the victims with rumours and half truths we just need to sell more mags so our profit margin will go up.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby expat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:45 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:
Webb wrote:Several Germanwings flights cancelled after crew refused to fly

So if it was "unconfirmed" why did Der Spiegel magazine print it? Ah yes, sensationalism we'll sell more mags with this B.S. story. We really don't care about the distress we might be causing the families of the victims with rumours and half truths we just need to sell more mags so our profit margin will go up.

This is tabloid sensationalising bullshit. The aircraft was not grounded, but delayed due to a technical difficulty, a very big difference (as you will know too Hawk). The nose gear doors was the problem, don't know what, but knowing the A320 I would guess it was a proximity sensor, but that is just a guess. The crews that declared themselves not fit to fly (I believe it turned out to be three flights) had just had friends smeared across a mountain in France. GWI is a small company and one where everyone pretty much knows everyone else so as far as I am concerned, it was a good call for these crews to not fly with this on their minds. I myself have a friend who is a stewardess for GWI, made me stop and think too and later my wife called to say she was not on board. Der Spiegel is playing the usual gutter press game, but as I mentioned to in a reply to Fozzer, you will never meet a bigger aviation expert than a tabloid reporter.............. :roll:
Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby U4EA » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:10 am

The news of the last few hours leaves me in shocked silence! Words truly seem so inadequate.

That is, if the account is true that it was a deliberate act by an individual.
I love the smell of radials in the morning!
U4EA
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Latest news...

It gets worse...>>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 pm

One more step toward airliners having a completely automated cockpit, but I for one would never board an airplane that didn't have a human pilot at the controls.

Now there will be months of investigation into how a suicidal pilot can pass all of the examinations, both physical and mental, that are required before allowing him/her into the cockpit.

It's not bad enough that planes can fail on their on, or fail because of poor mechanical care, or fail because of a terrorist plot, now we must take into consideration the mental wellness of the people charged with flying the plane. This event was truly tragic.

All current aircraft systems are designed assuming the that aircrew, pilot and copilot, want to live and I don't see how, short of total automation such an event can be prevented.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby U4EA » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Many moons ago when I was in the USAF we had areas designated "No Lone Zones". Pretty much a good policy, especially in areas where a 'lone wolf' could capitalize and create any sorta trajedy on any sorta scale.

I believe U.S. regs stipulate that there's never any one alone in a cockpit of an aircraft in flight.....apparently such is not the case worldwide! MH370 comes to mind as another trajic example.
I love the smell of radials in the morning!
U4EA
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby G.K. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Shocked.....

If this is true then "suicide" is not the right term to use.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:30 pm

G.K. wrote:Shocked.....

If this is true then "suicide" is not the right term to use.

The only other word I can think of is mass murder.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:01 pm

Its a scary fact, that the innocent-looking bloke/blokess sat next to you on the 'Bus is probably a scary fruit-case!

You will never know, until its too late!

Homo-sapiens are the most dangerous and unpredictable creatures on the Planet.... I reckon!

...you don't want one of them driving your 'Bus!

Paul.... :o ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Steve M » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:37 pm

U4EA said it. The US carriers have a 'two in the cockpit at all times' rule. Today the Canadian minister of transport has imposed that rule on Canadian passenger carriers. This would have given the pilot a much better chance of getting of getting back into the cockpit. Not to mention, as rumors have it, this copilot has been treated for depression in the past.
Steve M
Major
Major

Next

Return to Real Aviation