Rory's back!

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Rory's back!

Postby Webb » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:03 pm

AKRON, Ohio -- Rory McIlroy has yet to say whether he will defend his title next week at the PGA Championship, but the No. 1-ranked golfer has been included in the starting times for this year's fourth major championship at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin.

If McIlroy is able to go, he'll be grouped with Masters and U.S. Open champion Jordan Spieth and The Open champion Zach Johnson. They will begin play at 2:20 p.m. ET off the first tee.

McIlroy, 26, has not played since the final round of the U.S. Open on June 21 at Chambers Bay, where he finished ninth. On July 4, he suffered ligament damage to his left ankle, and he has since withdrawn from the Scottish Open, The Open and this week's WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Rory's back!

Postby Webb » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:02 pm

For Round 1 (August 13) Rory will tee off at 1:20 Central Time. I believe this is six hours behind BST.

He will be paired with Masters and U.S. Open Champion Jordan Spieth and British Open Champion Zach Johnson.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Rory couldn't put it together and finished in 17th place (-9). He will forfeit his #1 world ranking to Jordan Spieth (2nd place/-17).

Rory will skip next week's Wyndham Championship but return for The Barclays, the first playoff event.

Jason Day won his first major with a record score of -20.

Tiger Woods surprised no one by missing the cut.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Rory is back at #1 after Jordan Spieth missed the cut at The Barclays.

1 - Rory McIlroy
2 - Jordan Spieth
3 - Jason Day
4 - Bubba Watson

266 - Tiger Woods

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Jason Day's win at the BMW Championship will elevate him to #1.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:38 pm

Jordan Spieth will move back to #1 with his win at the Tour Championship.

He has also had the most lucrative year of any golfer in history, $22 million.

(Although I don't think its fair to include the $10 million Fedex Cup prize since it's some sort of wacky annuity - like a lottery prize - that doesn't even start paying until the player retires. Spieth is 22 years old.)

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:40 am

The US won The Presidents Cup 15.5 to 14.5.

Rory was not eligible to play because the Presidents Cup is the Ryder Cup's sorry little brother that is played between the US and anyone who is not from Europe.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport