ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

Postby SpaceHippy1975 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:25 am

Sorry, I really can't contain my excitement........... but there's only ONE WEEK TO GO!!! until Star Wars: The Force Awakens!!!

JJ. Abrams, this better be a masterpiece otherwise you'll be forever known as Jar-Jar Abrams!! :lol:

Must say I've been getting ready by watching the previous 6 on Blu-Ray (yes, even the prequels! :whistle: ) Just finished Attack of the Clones, roll on Empire Strikes Back (my favourite!)

Keith.
Flying: MSFS 2020 & P3D v5 ~ Given up on X-Plane 11
My Rig:
Intel Core i7 - 6700K CPU @ 4.5GHz,
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Motherboard,
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING 11GB GPU,
Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM,
Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ Monitor,
Bose Companion 2 Series III Speakers,
Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S & CH Rudder Pedals.
SpaceHippy1975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

Postby FlexibleFlier » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:31 am

Oh, no-o-o-o... :o I thought you were talking about the release of Orbx-FTX Friday Harbor for FSX.
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby SpaceHippy1975 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:20 am

FlexibleFlier wrote:Oh, no-o-o-o... :o I thought you were talking about the release of Orbx-FTX Friday Harbor for FSX.

Lol! Thanks for the reminder! Almost forgot all about the release of that scenery! Also looking forwards to the Meigs Field scenery too!
My Rig:
SpaceHippy1975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:42 am

For me, its just over a week to go 'till the shortest day....

...then Spring and Summer is on the way!.... :dance: ....!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Fozzer wrote:For me, its just over a week to go 'till the shortest day....

Yeah, what Paul said!
I really can't whine about winter weather right now. Here in western Minnesota we've only had it snow once and it was barely 8 inches total. Today it's 47° F and sunny. Pretty unusual for December in this part of the woods. Saturday / Sunday forecast is for light snow showers with maybe 2 inches total accumulation.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:

Yeah, what Paul said!
I really can't whine about winter weather right now. Here in western Minnesota we've only had it snow once and it was barely 8 inches total. Today it's 47° F and sunny. Pretty unusual for December in this part of the woods. Saturday / Sunday forecast is for light snow showers with maybe 2 inches total accumulation.

Just had a peek at my trusty USA Map, Hawk....

...and you are right bang up against the Canadian Border, so I assume that it can be very cold up there!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=USA+M ... rai4baQ%3D

In all my Flight Sim Tours I mostly steer very clear of "cold places"..... :D ...!

Weather-wise, Minnesota always reminds me of the excellent film; "Fargo", (North Dakota), with all its cold and snow!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota Race and ancestry, interesting..... ;) ...!

Paul The Explorer.... :mrgreen: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Fozzer wrote:
Hawkeye07 wrote:

Yeah, what Paul said!

Just had a peek at my trusty USA Map, Hawk....

...and you are right bang up against the Canadian Border, so I assume that it can be very cold up there!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=USA+M ... rai4baQ%3D

In all my Flight Sim Tours I mostly steer very clear of "cold places"..... :D ...!

Weather-wise, Minnesota always reminds me of the excellent film; "Fargo", (North Dakota), with all its cold and snow!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota Race and ancestry, interesting..... ;) ...!

Paul The Explorer.... :mrgreen: ....!

Funny you should mention "Fargo" Paul. It was actually filmed almost entirely in Minneapolis not far from where we used to live. The movie was sort of a dig at Minnesotans with their "Scadanoovian" (Locally pronounced as Scan-Da-New-Vian ) Even the Korean guy had a Scadanoovian accent Ha-Ha!! There were quite a few things in the movie, including some of the props, that were strictly Minnesotan like the "Old Dutch Potato Chips" the sheriff and her husband had in bed. Strictly a local brand. There were mixed revues locally. Either folks saw the silliness in 4th and 5th generation folks having a "Scandanoovian" accent and the general satire or they absolutely hated the movie. I made the mistake of asking my flight instructor what he thought of the film while we were on a night training flight between Crystal (KMIC) and Brainard ( KBRD) in a Cessna 150. That was a pretty small cockpit to have someone go ballistic in. I decided not to tell him I thought the movie was hilarious. Uff da,You Betcha! (Uff da (sometimes also spelled huffda, uff-da, uffda, uff-dah, oofda, ufda, ufdah, oofta, or uf daa) is an exclamation of Norwegian origin adopted by Scandinavian-Americans in the 19th century. It is an exclamation that is relatively common in the Upper Midwestern states of the United States.)

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Oh, and talking about being near the Canadian border...this past summer our daughter (aka the classical music freak - violinist) went to the International Music Camp which is located in the International Peace Garden. The interesting part is that the I.P.G. actually straddles the Canadian-US border. To enter it you have to go through US Customs only coming from our side and through Canadian Customs only when traveling from Canada.
But let me tell you there is almost NOTHING else up there. We drove up there the night before and stayed in a small town near the border called Bottineau, North Dakota. It was a five hour drive from KAXN and I was amazed at how flat North Dakota is once you get past Grand Forks and head west. It was nothing but crop land. I can't imagine what the teenagers out there do for entertainment other than teach the family dog new tricks and tease the chickens.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:14 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:
Funny you should mention "Fargo" Paul. It was actually filmed almost entirely in Minneapolis not far from where we used to live. The movie was sort of a dig at Minnesotans with their "Scadanoovian" (Locally pronounced as Scan-Da-New-Vian ) Even the Korean guy had a Scadanoovian accent Ha-Ha!! There were quite a few things in the movie, including some of the props, that were strictly Minnesotan like the "Old Dutch Potato Chips" the sheriff and her husband had in bed. Strictly a local brand. There were mixed revues locally. Either folks saw the silliness in 4th and 5th generation folks having a "Scandanoovian" accent and the general satire or they absolutely hated the movie. I made the mistake of asking my flight instructor what he thought of the film while we were on a night training flight between Crystal (KMIC) and Brainard ( KBRD) in a Cessna 150. That was a pretty small cockpit to have someone go ballistic in. I decided not to tell him I thought the movie was hilarious. Uff da,You Betcha! (Uff da (sometimes also spelled huffda, uff-da, uffda, uff-dah, oofda, ufda, ufdah, oofta, or uf daa) is an exclamation of Norwegian origin adopted by Scandinavian-Americans in the 19th century. It is an exclamation that is relatively common in the Upper Midwestern states of the United States.)

I enjoy reading your musings, Hawk!

"Fargo"....>>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116282/

...an absolute gem of a film from the Cohen Brothers. One of my all time favourites!

I love mimicking various accents, and the "Scandinavian" accents in the film made it for me..."Yaaa"... :lol: ...!
I can understand the locals being annoyed by the film regarding the accents, (there has been some mention of it in the reviews), but for me it was hilarious, and a hint as to what country the original inhabitants came from....another subject which greatly interests me regarding North American ancestry...
One of my favourite references...>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrati ... ted_States

I am always eager to know where my American Flight Sim Chums ancestors originally came from!

Like England, there are many regional accents dotted around the land, and we can mostly identify them, and I often wonder if a North American can identify which accent comes from a specific region or State?
...are they so different from each other?

I'm still eager to know where the South East USA "Redneck" accent originates, the "Yee-haa!"one, which annoys us so much!..... :lol: ...!

The most "English Type" accent, for me, seems to come form the North East (New York) States. eg; Denis Farina the ex New York Cop/ Film Star.

I love exploring the USA in my Flight Sims each day, which give me the opportunity to study the landscape, the people in the news, and the flora and fauna...and the weather!

My whole World has opened up since my original "Flight Unlimited II" flight Sim in 1995!

More exploring to do today!

My ancestry...from Iron Age times!.... :lol: ....>>> http://www.fosbery.com/

Paul Fosbery.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:53 am

Empire Strikes Back on Force Friday at Chateau Oz tonight, next week Return of The Jedi... then on the Saturday in 3D from Dbox seats, the Force WILL Awaken O0 O0 O0
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SpaceHippy1975 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:34 am

ozzy72 wrote:Empire Strikes Back on Force Friday at Chateau Oz tonight, next week Return of The Jedi... then on the Saturday in 3D from Dbox seats, the Force WILL Awaken O0 O0 O0

Ozzy, as I am seeing it lunchtime on Thursday, would you like me to write you up a full critique & synopsis of the Force Awakens, allowing you to go into your viewing fully prepared??!! Please make no mention of it, I'll not no for an answer, it'll be my pleasure! ;)

Keith.
My Rig:
SpaceHippy1975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:47 pm

SpaceHippy1975 wrote:Sorry, I really can't contain my excitement........... but there's only ONE WEEK TO GO!!! until Star Wars: The Force Awakens!!!

Then we can see how much CGI they have to use to animate Han "So Old" and Princess Leia, probably just as much as they used on poor old Harrison Ford in that last lamentable Indiana Jones movie. :roll:

Sorry, I'll take the kids to see Krampus instead. I think they'll enjoy it much more, as will I.

ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Fozzer said:
"Like England, there are many regional accents dotted around the land, and we can mostly identify them, and I often wonder if a North American can identify which accent comes from a specific region or State?...are they so different from each other?

I'm still eager to know where the South East USA "Redneck" accent originates, the "Yee-haa!"one, which annoys us so much!..... :lol: ...!"

Well Paul certain regions or states do have their own accent. Massachusetts for instance. Remember J.F. Kennedy's speeches? Typical Massachusetts. Boston puts a slight twist in it. Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire on a whole not so heavy as the Southerners but certain pronunciations, words or phrases give them away. I have an aunt who was born and raised a little north of Bangor, Maine. She has what I classify as a "New England" accent. Typically an "a" as in "park" or "car" would sound like "ah" So you'd hear "Pahk your cah in the garahge". New Jersey in the vicinity of New York City and parts of NYC have a particular accent. Someone born and raised in NYC could even differentiate the different Burroughs for you. Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, etc. Down South there are several different accents. Georgians seem to have their own as well as the folks in the Tennessee Smoky Mountains region. The Southeastern part of the US has what I would call the classic Southern accent. And that's not a knock on them either. But I must say that after being stationed in southern Maryland at Pax River and Norfolk, Virginia and Memphis, Tennessee for most of my 23 years in the Navy when I moved up to Minnesota it took me about two years to get "y'all" out of my conversation. :lol: Southern Louisiana around New Orleans and down in the bayou country have distinct accents too. Texas speak has a special twist to it too. California supposedly has a couple of different accents but my wife is from California and I'll be damned if I could ever detect an accent but other people we know have mentioned it.

I'm sure other members can pipe in and add to this like Webb who surely must have a Floridian accent.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:58 pm

There is a North Florida accent which sounds like a dialed back deep south accent.

South of Orlando is such a melting pot that it it doesn't have a distinctive accent. In some places it depends on what part of what city you're in - Southern? Spanish? Creole?
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:26 am

Webb wrote:There is a North Florida accent which sounds like a dialed back deep south accent.

South of Orlando is such a melting pot that it it doesn't have a distinctive accent. In some places it depends on what part of what city you're in - Southern? Spanish? Creole?

It seems the Gulf Coast is quite a melting pot too. We've been to Cape Coral and Ft Myers Beach and we've run into more transplanted Mid-westerners than natives. I've been told that it's a popular winter vacation spot for Germans too. The hotel we stay at, the Outrigger, has a hotel guide that is printed in English on one side and German on the other.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Next

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment