Lauren Bacall....

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Lauren Bacall....

Postby Fozzer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:31 am

....another sad loss of a wonderful actress and character....>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28767401

I loved that dark, husky voice on hers, similar to Kathleen Turner!

Paul.

That look!...>>> Image

Her bosom chum, "Humph" will be pleased to greet her.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Lauren Bacall....

Postby Fozzer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 am

Lauren with her beloved; "Humpty Go-cart".....>>>> http://news.kron4.com/news/actress-laur ... ead-at-89/

Paul.... :D ...!

...seemingly out of character...but it worked perfectly!.... :dance: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tug002 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:22 am

Fozzer wrote:....another sad loss of a wonderful actress and character....>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28767401

I loved that dark, husky voice on hers, similar to Kathleen Turner!

Paul.

That look!...>>> Image

Her bosom chum, "Humph" will be pleased to greet her.

Another sad day :( I grew up watching her movies, along with John Wayne Bogie and all of the other black and white movie stars. I still to this day like to watch the old black and white films. The directors could do amaising things with shadows and lighting positions before colour came into pictures.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:08 am

.......and those eyes!!!

RIP
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:12 pm

"Bacall collected an honorary Oscar in 2009 in recognition of "her central place in the golden age of motion pictures". I think this line says a lot about her. She was a real movie star with talent, beauty and above all class who made her mark in an era when there were many terrific actors and actresses. And she didn't have to do a "nude scene" to become a star either. Unlike today's Hollywood environment.

Hawkeye

P.S. Not that I'm against a nude scene or two in a movie but I prefer a talented performance then perhaps a little skin.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Tug002 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:P.S. Not that I'm against a nude scene or two in a movie but I prefer a talented performance then perhaps a little skin.

Right on there :clap: . A little nudeity is fine but it seems now days they over do it to cover up for less talent and hope we don't notice because we are distracted :lol:

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Postby Jetranger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTa6yTUCTCg[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 pm

THIS is a huge, immense, incredible, and any other applicable superlative that could ever exist, loss to Americans at the least, the world most likely. She was one of the single most beautifull, not to mention attractive (and there is a difference!) women I have ever seen in my life...even her recent picture I saw some place she was just as beautifull as she was when her and Bogey sailed away to Key Largo, if I may borrow a line from Bertie Higgins.
I have no idea how she did it, but her beauty never faded over the years, just...matured, I suppose is all I can say. Maybe she was magic, or made a pact, like Dick Clark or Paul...
She'll be missed, badly, forever...

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:53 am

PhantomTweak wrote:THIS is a huge, immense, incredible, and any other applicable superlative that could ever exist, loss to Americans at the least, the world most likely. She was one of the single most beautifull, not to mention attractive (and there is a difference!) women I have ever seen in my life...even her recent picture I saw some place she was just as beautifull as she was when her and Bogey sailed away to Key Largo, if I may borrow a line from Bertie Higgins.
I have no idea how she did it, but her beauty never faded over the years, just...matured, I suppose is all I can say. Maybe she was magic, or made a pact, like Dick Clark or Paul...
She'll be missed, badly, forever...

Pat☺

Absolutely...Must have been something special in those days, and I got this suspicion it was called feminity.
Not taking anything away from the very sultry Lauren Bacall, there was also Hedy Lamarr, actor and inventor. (Inventor of frequency hopping, vital today in communications.)
(For the Radio Controlled guys out there, this is where your 2.4Ghz "binding" systems originated from.)

http://www.biography.com/people/hedy-la ... 2#synopsis

Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Sprocket wrote:Absolutely...Must have been something special in those days, and I got this suspicion it was called feminity.

I totally agree with you. The list of talented and beautiful actresses from that era just goes on and on. To name but a few:

Lana Turner
Vivien Leigh
Ingrid Bergman
Grace Kelly
Rita Hayworth
Ava Gardner
Lucille Ball
Carole Lombard
Greta Garbo

All true gems.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:30 am

I think a lot of their apparent beauty was/is due to the highly professional filming technique used at the time, often black and white film stock, expert lighting, and using a slightly out-of-focus technique to eliminate facial, etc, blemishes, to emphasise their great beauty*.
The glory days of filming!

Paul..... 8-) ...!

* I suffer? from Astigmatism (slightly our-of-focus) in my natural eye lenses, which improves the appearance (very slightly) of the spotty, fat ladies, queuing up at the Delicatessen (Cream Cake) Counter at my local Supermarket.... :roll: ....!

..... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:24 am

I'll tell you a filming "technique" that always impresses me.....

The TV "Columbo" series, with its use of very clever camera views, sound, and lighting effects.

Very professionally directed, acted, and filmed!

Paul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:34 am

...the days when film cameras were wheeled around on rail tracks or dollies .... :D ....

http://www.newenglandfilm.com/magazine/ ... gus-review

"The most subtle and powerful camera moves are accomplished on a dolly. Hollywood movies employ expensive, heavy dollies that hold the camera operator and assistant and are pulled or pushed along metal tracks by one or two grips. Think of a small train car and you get the idea".

...and not the modern technique of frantically running around with hand-held digital cameras, creating nausea and sea-sickness in the viewer.. :evil: ....!

".....while its most egregious overuses might be in The Blair Witch Project II, which could have won an award for best-sea-sickness-inducing camera work".

Cinematic techniques: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematic_techniques

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment