Postby Jean Loup » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:35 pm

...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Re: DAMN BRiTiSH...

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for that, Jean!

A fascinating read on the discussions of the use and understanding of various languages!

I am forever glad that I was born in England, and taught the English language, and lived amongst English Language users!

..and I am glad that I can understand my American Chums, with their use of their use of their; "Old English" language from the times of the early English-speaking Settlers!

I may laugh and joke about it sometimes, but as our Member "H" often points out to me, it is the proper version of the English Language as spoken in the New England and Mid-Atlantic States!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English

I still have problems with; "Guys", "Hi-ya", "Yee-Haa", "Ya-all", "Gotten", etc, etc...and not forgetting; "Awesome"!..... :lol: ...!

With the proliferation of the English Language around me I have always been too lazy to learn another language, and I have great respect and admiration for the Folks who use the English Language fluently, when it is not their natural language!!

Paul.....An English Cockney!.... :D ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:44 pm

Fozzer wrote: Thanks for that, Jean!

A fascinating read on the discussions of the use and understanding of various languages!

I am forever glad that I was born in England, and taught the English language, and lived amongst English Language users!

..and I am glad that I can understand my American Chums, with their use of their use of their; "Old English" language from the times of the early English-speaking Settlers!

I may laugh and joke about it sometimes, but as our Member "H" often points out to me, it is the proper version of the English Language as spoken in the New England and Mid-Atlantic States!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English

I still have problems with; "Guys", "Hi-ya", "Yee-Haa", "Ya-all", "Gotten", etc, etc...and not forgetting; "Awesome"!..... :lol: ...!

With the proliferation of the English Language around me I have always been too lazy to learn another language, and I have great respect and admiration for the Folks who use the English Language fluently, when it is not their natural language!!

Paul.....An English Cockney!.... :D ....!

:clap: :clap: :clap: BRAVO PAUL!!
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby pilotwin7 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:21 pm

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby H » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 am

Fozzer wrote:I am forever glad that I was born in England, and taught the English language, and lived amongst English Language users!
...and I am glad that I can understand my American Chums, with their use of their use of their; "Old English" language from the times of the early English-speaking Settlers!
I may laugh and joke about it sometimes, but as our Member "H" often points out to me, it is the proper version of the English Language as spoken in the New England and Mid-Atlantic States.

pilotwin7 wrote:Image
As I've also said, "Modern English" users, Foz; original English is dead. My original Anglo-Saxon 'English' ancestry obtained its own tartan; after William the Bastard, Duke of Normandy, became William the Conqueror of England (retaining/stealing that name for his kingdom since he wouldn't be king of an extended duchy) and transferred land ownership to his own cohorts, my ancestors jumped over the wall and joined up with clan McDonald.
For the most part, the Normans, now in control of 'England', did not speak English which put a language barrier between commoner (all native English) and much of the new government (the political elite). The language of England has continued to change ever since and the ~ 50% of it sourced from the original isn't pronounced the same -- the true Englishman of 1066 wouldn't understand us (or vice-versa).

On another note, Foz, how far is this place from you?
Tyrrells Crisps Ltd.
Tyrrells Court Farm
Leominster, Herefordhire
HR69DQ, England

I just got their Hand Cooked English Chips (Crisps), Cheddar Cheese & Sea Salt, to accompany me as I listen to the Super Bowl. Hand cooked -- you must have some people with real hot hands to cook them with their hands?]

:)

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:25 pm

H wrote:
On another note, Foz, how far is this place from you?
Tyrrells Crisps Ltd.
Tyrrells Court Farm
Leominster, Herefordhire
HR69DQ, England

I just got their Hand Cooked English Chips (Crisps), Cheddar Cheese & Sea Salt, to accompany me as I listen to the Super Bowl. Hand cooked -- you must have some people with real hot hands to cook them with their hands?][/color]

:)

8-)

Hello @H....

Good to see you!
...and thanks for the; "head's up"!

Leominster (pronounced; "Lempster), a mere 12-mile trip (Northwards) up the Main A49 Trunk Road from Hereford on my trusty Honda Twin Cruiser motorcycle!

Leominster is 12 miles North, and Ross-on Wye is 12 miles south of Hereford City in the kingdom of Mercia, ruled over by King Offa!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offa_of_Mercia

King Offa's attempt to keep the marauding Welsh Heathens out of Mercia on Saturday drinking/fighting nights ...>>>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offa's_Dyke

I invade THEM on my Motor Bike every Sunday in Abergavenny, Gwent, Wales...>>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abergavenny

(I found a secret gap in the Dyke at the village of Pontrilas on the borders).... ;) ...!

I love exploring places and people!

Paul Fosbery....An Iron Age relic!...>>> http://fosbery.tripod.com/
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:38 am

Fozzer wrote:Leominster (pronounced; "Lempster), a mere 12-mile trip (Northwards) up the Main A49 Trunk Road from Hereford on my trusty Honda Twin Cruiser motorcycle!
The spelling is the same south of us, in Massachusetts, but I've only heard it pronounced 'Lemm-ster'. Here in New Hampshire (which we pronounce as 'New Hamp-sher'), not far from my birth town of Claremont, is Lempster, pronounced accordingly.
;)

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 am

H wrote:
Fozzer wrote:Leominster (pronounced; "Lempster), a mere 12-mile trip (Northwards) up the Main A49 Trunk Road from Hereford on my trusty Honda Twin Cruiser motorcycle!
The spelling is the same south of us, in Massachusetts, but I've only heard it pronounced 'Lemm-ster'. Here in New Hampshire (which we pronounce as 'New Hamp-sher'), not far from my birth town of Claremont, is Lempster, pronounced accordingly.
;)

8-)

Fascinating stuff @H!

Leominster: I think the reason I/we pronounce it as Lem(p)ster, is the space between "m" and "s" produces the sound; "p"...(as in the sound; "Putt".

My favourite, (of many) is the word of the place in New Mexico...called "Albuquerque"....

...which I refer to as; "Alber-Kirky"...'cos I can never spell it... :lol: ...!

"San Jose" is another one...its not; "San Josie"...its; "San Ho-say"!.... :D ...!

...and; "Yosemite" (National Park) is not; "Yoss-e-mite...its Yoss-em-it-ee!.... :o ...!

Many of the Mexican names in the Southern States are not pronounced in the same way as they are spelt!
I have great fun searching for them!

For me, as wander through Southern California, etc, in my Flight Sim Explorations, its like a trip through Mexico!

Paul....Having great fun with words!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 am

One needs remember that none of the New World was originally English and notable native writing was, for the most part, south of what's now the continental United States. The Cherokee formed their own alphabet but this was after the European intrusion; most of the retained Native American designations have been rendered in writing by the colonizers. Winnisquam (~ translates to "there are salmon here"), the name of the area and the lake I'm near, is an English rendering; the same is true for our major lake, Winnipesaukee (which more aptly translates to "the land around the lake" and this area of New Hampshire is called 'The Lakes Region'). Florida, California (regardless of Drake's visit) and other western and southwest territory was primarily under Spanish conquest prior to rebellions and other exchanges; Louisiana was under French control until purchased from them during Jefferson's presidency. Thus, native names as well as Spanish and French designations and pronunciations are now part of the mix.
Of course, even some of the imposed European names have gone through changes -- otherwise New York City might yet be titled New Amsterdam (originally colonized by the Dutch).

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Many of my "virtual" You-Tube Motorcycling Chums live in and around, "New England", up in the North Easy of the USA, and as they chat to each other they can be identified as originating from parts of The United Kingdom; England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales!

Even the familiar place names make me feel quite at home!

This Map is my constant companion when touring around the USA in my Flight Sims, to locate the countries of some of the first Settlers to the parts of the country!

Note the predominance of Germans!!

Its a mystery to me of how "English" became the dominant language of the USA with so many Immigrants from different countries and only a handful of; "Brits" there!!

Another map for my instant referral!...>>>

Paul The Virtual Explorer.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:10 am

Its a mystery to me of how "English" became the dominant language of the USA with so many Immigrants from different countries and only a handful of; "Brits" there!!
What began the major change in the language of England? The United States was begun by what had been British colonies; the rest of the nation progressed under its 'English-speaking' political unit.
Also, don't confuse territorial expanse with a group's population.

Now, as an apology and for any upset that a history lesson has taken over a Humour post, we'll try to rectify it somewhat in regard to Fozzer's entry about Offa in the Mercian history. What historians don't know about Offa's Dyke and reported encroachment upon Welsh land is that it was thought to be the request of the Welsh, themselves. The problem came about when Mercians strayed onto Welsh territory and the Cymry began yelling, "Get offa here! Get offa here!"
Sorry, Foz, it's the best I could think of...

:oops:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 am

H wrote:
What began the major change in the language of England? The United States was begun by what had been British colonies; the rest of the nation progressed under its 'English-speaking' political unit.
Also, don't confuse territorial expanse with a group's population.

Now, as an apology and for any upset that a history lesson has taken over a Humour post, we'll try to rectify it somewhat in regard to Fozzer's entry about Offa in the Mercian history. What historians don't know about Offa's Dyke and reported encroachment upon Welsh land is that it was thought to be the request of the Welsh, themselves. The problem came about when Mercians strayed onto Welsh territory and the Cymry began yelling, "Get offa here! Get offa here!"
Sorry, Foz, it's the best I could think of...

:oops:

8-)

..... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

10/10 in the Humour Forum!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Humour