Sometimes Names Are a Query

What are you laughing at?

Sometimes Names Are a Query

Postby H » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:23 am

I've asked with no response but how can England have a Leeds if not one Follows?

It seems historians and writers have mangled the legend of King Arthur, maybe even the location as well as his personage. I mean, was he actually an Arab? if not, why was his court in a Camel Lot?

8)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sometimes Names Are a Query

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:26 am

I am always surprise by the number of British (and European) place-names there are in North America...(and Australia and New Zealand).

Every time I mention my abodes of "London" and "Hereford", etc, in a post, I have to confirm that it is actually in England!

...and so many South American/Spanish place-names!

...a melting pot of Place-names!

...and if you thought that "Paris" was only in France!... :o .... :lol: ....!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:56 am

Every time I regularly see the word; "Washington" in the news, I mutter angrily to myself....as I do.... :twisted: ....

.."....now tell me which one it is...

...the "Washington" in the District of Columbia, on the North-East Coast....

..or the "Washington" on the Pacific North-West Coast?"

Far too many "Washingtons"!.... :roll: ...!

...and as for "Orange County"...I give up!... :? ...!

Paul....washing my tons.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 am

Fozzer wrote:Every time I regularly see the word; "Washington" in the news, I mutter angrily to myself....as I do.... :twisted: ....

.."....now tell me which one it is...

...the "Washington" in the District of Columbia, on the North-East Coast....

..or the "Washington" on the Pacific North-West Coast?"

Far too many "Washingtons"!.... :roll: ...!

Paul....washing my tons.... :mrgreen: ...!

There is a village named Washington a few miles away from where I'm sitting. http://www.washingtonparish.org.uk/WashingtonPC/history_of_washington-2554.aspx

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Steve M » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Might seem strange but, I only live an hour from London and twenty minutes from Paris, But then again I am from Cambridge. ^-^
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 pm

What? You've never seen Paris, Texas?

But there is only one Two Egg. (Yes, I've been there.)

To reach the community from Interstate 10 and U.S. 90, take State Highway 69 north to Two Egg. Watch for the Two Egg signs and turn right on the next paved road.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 pm

How about this. Dublin South Australia! Yes I have been there.
Three buildings. A pub,house and general store.
Desolute place altogether.

Anthin. :snooty:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Hey Webb. If that is where Faye Dunnaway come from,I
am moving there. LOL. Very attractive when she was young.
Looks like a really lovely place..

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby mustangaroo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:36 am

Washington. Father of our country. Tis not for nothing that they sell washing machines and matresses on his birth-day.
mustangaroo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:33 am

I live in the South of England. During a trip to the USA we noticed a lot of familiar place names including Sussex & Isle of Wight.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 am

Hagar wrote:I live in the South of England. During a trip to the USA we noticed a lot of familiar place names including Sussex & Isle of Wight.

When I am in need of a spot of comforting warmth, at this time of the year, I pop over to Hereford, Texas...>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereford,_Texas

And make sure that our famous, white-faced, Hereford Cattle are in good health...>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereford_%28cattle%29

Sometimes, the ol' US of A is like Home-from-Home with its location names!... :lol: ...!

Paul...Moooo!...... :mrgreen: ...!

"Paris. Texas". One of the Films at the top of my pile of DVD's; "Favourite films to watch"... ;) ...!
(With the lovely Nastassja Kinski , Daughter of the famous Klaus Kinski)...>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nastassja_Kinski
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 am

There is a city in South Dakota named after my home town of Worthing. I would be better off visiting Worthing in Barbados, California or Texas at this time of year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worthing_%28disambiguation%29

Shoreham, Australia might be the best place to go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham

Lots of places named Brighton to choose from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_%28disambiguation%29

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:58 am

Hagar wrote:
Shoreham, Australia might be the best place to go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham

Beware Doug.... :o ...!

Australia!..... :shock: ...!

Lots of thieves, vagabonds, ne'er-do-wells, highway robbers, and sheep stealer's there ...>>>

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-austr ... h-colonies

....Sheila's ...and some fellow Sim V Flight Simmers... ;) ..!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:19 am

Since "New England" was originally invaded settled by English colonists, followed by Irish, Scots, etc., and the subsequent nation established by their descendants, a borrowing of familiar town names from the original homelands was natural. New Hampshire's largest town is Manchester; although originally named Strawberry Banke (by late June, many of New England's grassy areas have wild strawberries; small but quite sweeter than the large domestic varieties), our largest port town is Portsmouth. Not far from here is Chichester, Epsom, Plymouth...
There are, however, some native names given to towns: Henniker (the only in the world), Winnisquam (~ translates to, "There are salmon here"), Contoocook, Pennacook (originally a major NH tribe, ~ "People at the hill"); streams and lakes more often carry a native name: Winnipesaukee (which actually translates to "the land around the water/lake"), Squam, Soucook, Pemmigewasset, Merrimac... and my hometown of Claremont (aha, a French name = Clear Mountain), NH, was on the Connecticut River which flows south through the state of Connecticut but it starts out of the lakes of the very northwest border of NH and Canada.

8)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:50 am

My family name of "Fosbery" (Fosbury) originates from Iron Age times, and describes a tribe who used to live in a Hill Fortress in the present county of Wiltshire, in the South of England.
A "Bury" is a hill fort, with "Fos" being the name of the tribe living there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosbury_Camp

I've travelled there a few times to view the site, and there seems to be a quite few of us still left alive in our branch of Fosbery's, mainly due to my breeding success!
May we long continue...breeding!.... :dance: ...!

Paul L. Fosbery (aka Fozzer/Fozzersoft).... :mrgreen: ....!

http://fosbery.tripod.com/

...they don't come much older than us!.... :lol: .. :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Humour