I just hope....

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

I just hope....

Postby Fozzer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 am

..that I never have to board a; "Passenger Aircraft" for the remainder of my life!.... :shock: ....!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39563570

They have got to be the most unpleasant places that you could possibly think of!

I would rather stop where I am... :think: ...!

Paul.... :o ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: I just hope....

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:36 am

Frightful!

What do they mean by “overbooked.” Is the aircraft overloaded? If so, has it got too many seats? I mean…WTF! Why pick on that guy? He can’t weigh more than about 12 stone!

I’m with you Fozzer; if that’s what air travel is like they can keep it. I’ll take a train or a boat if necessary! A pox on United and its Gestapo henchmen! :evil:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am

Sinkrate, "Overbooking" is a common practice among all the airlines which has been going on for many years. They know from experience that there will be a percentage of passengers listed for a flight who will not show up for a variety of reasons. In order to fill the aircraft to capacity and thereby make more profit they speculate how many "No Shows" there will be and then book that many extra passengers. They kind of create their own "Standby List". Flying Standby in the old days was a relatively cheap way to fly if you weren't in a hurry. Back in 1970 when I was stationed in Maryland I could fly Standby from Washington National (now Ronald Reagan) to my hometown of Buffalo, N.Y. for roughly $30.00 (USD) one way and get a meal on the flight.

United Airlines definitely screwed up their boarding procedures. First of all if the flight crew needed to get to Louisville did they identify themselves to the gate agent as early as possible? Normally company employees have a much lower priority than paying passengers. As a former employee of Northwest Airlines commuting between MSP and DTW weekly I know the drill. Paying passengers are always first and you as an employee will need to find another route to your destination.

The statement below pretty well sums it up but I think the flight crew should have seen the overbooking situation and listed on an earlier flight or taken a different route.

It appears to have been a series of errors. A group of flight crew needed to be in Louisville, properly rested, in order to operate the next morning's plane. Had they not been able to get there, then many more passengers would have had their plans messed up. The big mistake the airline made was allowing all the fare-paying passengers on board, and then trying to entice enough people off. It would have been far better to conduct the auction at the gate; physically preventing someone boarding is less harmful than dragging them kicking and screaming from their seat.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:09 am

It appears to have been a series of errors. A group of flight crew needed to be in Louisville, properly rested, in order to operate the next morning's plane. Had they not been able to get there, then many more passengers would have had their plans messed up. The big mistake the airline made was allowing all the fare-paying passengers on board, and then trying to entice enough people off. It would have been far better to conduct the auction at the gate; physically preventing someone boarding is less harmful than dragging them kicking and screaming from their seat.

So as I understand it, they screwed up the boarding sequence and left their own staff stranded instead of some hapless customers. Their cheapo bribe didn’t work so they should have made alternative arrangements for their staff. The fact that they got it wrong doesn’t entitle their thugs to assault an innocent, law abiding passenger. And on what basis did they select their victim? Did they pick him because he didn’t look “American” enough? Or was it that he was of slight build and easy for those cowards to bully?

If this had happened in UK, then it seems to me that a crime of assault and ABH would have been committed and those gorillas in uniform would be in the slammer!

I just hope that the passenger files a huge lawsuit against United and gets it crowd funded on the internet. I’m sure he would get a lot of support.

Damn United to hell, that's what I say! :twisted:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 am

..the passenger was being; "belligerent".... :o ... :o ...!

I know I would be also, have been a fully-booked, fare-paying passenger, being physically dragged out of my seat, by a bunch of uniformed, badge-waving, arse-wipes.

Similar to annoying "Coppers", with their claim; "He/she did not comply with my instructions".

Show me someone in a uniform, with a badge, and given the power of authority, and I know there's going to be a problem!... :twisted: ...!

Fortunately, for me, here in England, I don't have to board an Aircraft to travel the country.....

...thank goodness!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 pm

I just read an article in USA Today which explained it a little better. the selection process wasn't quite why you assume.
He and his wife were chosen because they had booked at the cheapest fares. Makes sense from a profit/loss standpoint.
Still was handled in about the worst way possible. I wouldn't be surprise if he hits the airline and airport security with a
big fat lawsuit and deservedly so.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 pm

...and it never ceases in the USA, involving folks in uniform and carrying badges...>>>

http://kron4.com/2017/04/11/video-cop-t ... acramento/

I get this sort of stuff every day in my daily mail USA News...

It puts me off ever visiting the Country!

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Fozzer wrote:...and it never ceases in the USA, involving folks in uniform and carrying badges...>>>
http://kron4.com/2017/04/11/video-cop-t ... acramento/
I get this sort of stuff every day in my daily mail USA News...
It puts me off ever visiting the Country!
Paul.

It's unfortunate but there does seem to be a noticeable increase in "Gestapo-like" attitudes among some of the police here. I don't know what has fostered it.
I think it's been a festering wound on both sides of the badge. The police are tired of trying to maintain law and order while they have Fu**ing crybaby liberals questioning
their every move AND the community, especially minorities, who are tired of the heavy handedness of some (10% equation here) police officers who act like they are
privileged characters who make their own rules. Even though many police departments say they have programs in place to reprimand or dismiss rogue officers that doesn't mean they initiate cases in regards to those programs. Pretty sorry state of affairs I must say.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Hawk..... ;) ...!

I have spent every single day since Flight Unlimited II (1997?), and the various Microsoft Flight Sims, touring the whole of the wonderful scenery in the USA, and also watching the Harley Davidson, etc, motorcycle rides around the country on You-Tube.... :D ...!

The scenery is to die for!.... :clap: ....

...unfortunately the folks who live there are also heavily into killing each other, (and probably me), at every opportunity!... :o ....!

Its actually much safer observing the breathtaking USA scenery from the safety and comfort of my armchair in England!

Route 66...in my dreams.... ;) ....!

Paul....mostly in California, in my Sim Cessna 150, at 2,000 feet AGL....(safety zone!)... ;) .... :lol: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Fozzer wrote:Hawk..... ;) ...!

I have spent every single day since Flight Unlimited II (1997?), and the various Microsoft Flight Sims, touring the whole of the wonderful scenery in the USA, and also watching the Harley Davidson, etc, motorcycle rides around the country on You-Tube.... :D ...!

The scenery is to die for!.... :clap: ....

...unfortunately the folks who live there are also heavily into killing each other, (and probably me), at every opportunity!... :o ....!

Its actually much safer observing the breathtaking USA scenery from the safety and comfort of my armchair in England!

Route 66...in my dreams.... ;) ....!

Paul....mostly in California, in my Sim Cessna 150, at 2,000 feet AGL....(safety zone!)... ;) .... :lol: ....!

I can understand how you feel Paul but it really isn't all that bad. There are plenty of places in this country where folks don't even both to lock their doors at night. Here in KAXN for one. I don't own a gun and don't intend to. Don't need one. If some folks say they need protect then maybe they should smarten up and stay out of bad neighborhoods.
During my Navy days I lived in various parts of the country including San Diego, Memphis and Norfolk/Virginia Beach to name a few. Just needed to know where the bad neighborhoods were and stayed out of them. No sweat! :)

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:30 am

Ummm' interesting :snooty:

What the MSM News media isn't telling :shock: :doh: :shifty:

"Doctor dragged off United flight was convicted of trading drugs for sex, report says" ?

LINK : https://lynx.media/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-united-flight-convicted-trading-drugs-sex-report-says/

The doctor who was seen in a now-viral video being dragged off of a United flight from Chicago to Louisville when he refused to give up his seat due to overbooking has a history that includes trading prescription drugs for sexual favors, according to a new report.

Dr. David Dao, 69, was arrested in 2003 on drug offenses following an undercover investigation.

Dao became sexually interested in a male patient and offered to trade him pills for sex, according to Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure documents.

In 2004, the father-of-five was convicted on a slew of criminal counts such as trafficking in a controlled substance but avoided jail time.

The Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure permitted him to continue practicing medicine under certain conditions that included completing his probation and undergoing psychological evaluations.

Dao went to medical school in Vietnam in the 1970s before moving to the U.S.

Meanwhile, the findings about his past come as United is facing heavy fire for the way they handled the situation on Flight 3411.

Dao was yanked from his seat at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport before the flight to Louisville, with his face even being bloodied during the ordeal.

“Oh my God! What are you doing?” one woman is heard saying as he’s dragged through the aisle.

“After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities,” United said in a statement.

The airline said four people had to give up their seats to United employees who needed to be in Louisville on Monday.

And United CEO Oscar Munoz is doubling down on the conduct of the airline, saying in a letter that employees “followed established procedures” in removing Dao from the aircraft
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:

I can understand how you feel Paul but it really isn't all that bad. There are plenty of places in this country where folks don't even both to lock their doors at night. Here in KAXN for one. I don't own a gun and don't intend to. Don't need one. If some folks say they need protect then maybe they should smarten up and stay out of bad neighborhoods.
During my Navy days I lived in various parts of the country including San Diego, Memphis and Norfolk/Virginia Beach to name a few. Just needed to know where the bad neighbourhoods were and stayed out of them. No sweat! :)

Never fear, Hawk.... ;) ....

..I still have a soft spot for the Country/Scenery..... :greetings-waveyellow: ....!

..after all, I have the logo's; "San Francisco", "Los Angeles", "Hollister", "Santa Cruse", "Santa Barbara", "Monterey", etc, emblazoned on my T--Shirts, as well as "Harley-Davidson"...... :flags-usa: ...!....!

A place I would avoid like the plague, is Illinois and Chicago!

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/under-the-gun/2015/

...an Off-World, War Zone!.... :shock: ....!

....(and San Francisco East Bay)... :roll: ...!

Paul...buzzing around Cal Central Valley in my little Sim Cessna!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby napamule » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:20 am

They offered $800 and a hotel room for anyone that wanted to volunteer to give up their seat. I'd take that. But all you had to say is 'Sure, but I would need $1200'. They would have agreed to that, I am sure. That is the way to do it. That moron,err, I mean 'Dr' wasn't too smart about it.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:41 am

The whole Aeroplane Travel idea seems crazy to me

When you purchase a ticket to go from A to B, you/me don't expect to be abandoned at A...for whatever reason...!

I want/need to go to B!

Its a poor situation...

....(whatever you sexual pleasures are).... :dance: ... :lol: ....!

I'll stick to my Motor Cycle for my travel!... :dance: ...!

Paul.... 8-) ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 am

At least they didn't lure him into the loo, conk him out and dump him out in flight...
designers may speculate exit hatches under drop-away passenger seats -- the "Please DO NOT Fasten Seat Belt" sign will be flashing until all target seats are emptied... :shock:
Umm... hope I haven't given them a new reality idea...
:roll:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to General Discussion