Watch how you answer your phone

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Watch how you answer your phone

Postby Apex » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 am

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/fcc-warns-con ... ories.html

I like to share stuff like this with whoever. Anything we can do to defeat the scammers is a good thing. I have caller ID, if I don't recognize the number, I don't pickup. Usually then, the "caller" doesn't leave a message. And I keep my phone on mute, so never hear a ring.

The rule is to never talk to anyone you don't know. And if it's your "bank" or "credit card company", my advice is to hang up and then call your bank or card company and find out if they did in fact call you.

Be wise. Contrive a plan and stick to it. Never talk to strangers. Don't speak softly, just carry a big stick. Don't sign on the dotted line until you read the fine print.
Apex
Major
Major

Re: Watch how you answer your phone

Postby ftldave » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 am

On my Android phone I use Call Control. Free, blocks known scammers and allows you to block new numbers as the crooks change theirs. Available from the Android Playstore. I can't imagine not having it on the 'mobile'.

But, when Bappu fools me, as happened recently when the spoofed phone number was a local one, I just burst into song:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mFJav2daE[/youtube]
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 am

The only telephone calls I normally have on my Land-line Phone are from my family members, and as I pick the receiver up, I wait for a moment to be greeted with the words "Hi Dad!"...

(They know they have to say that, so I know who they are!).... :lol: ...!

If I am greeted with total silence...or a pause followed by; "Hello", I know its a cold-call, etc, and I replace the receiver without speaking.

The problem I have now, if any of the Cold-callers read this, they will ring me up, and fool me, and say:..."Hi Dad".... :o ...!

Perhaps we cant win?.... :( ...!

Paul....never uses a Mobile Phone (Cell Phone).... :D ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby slimcooper2002 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 pm

I dont think we can win, I'm on the national do not call list but I still get 2-3 a day on my cell phone. I block their number and they call the next day on a different number. They use random numbers with area codes from everywhere but its the same people. I've reported to FCC but by changing their numbers every day the FCC cant catch them. And an airhorn doesn't bother a robocall.
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Had 1 of those weird phone calls the other day,,,,

I always keep this Video Clip handy as I hold it up the phone,,,,,,,,

Starting a 0:20 seconds into the video :D :D

I turn up the volume and hold the phone to the speaker :D

when done,,,, nobody is ever on the other end ?????????? :D :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2dewDwIQyM[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby H » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Fozzer wrote:The problem I have now, if any of the Cold-callers read this, they will ring me up, and fool me, and say:..."Hi Dad"...
We could try that but, even with just those two words, I'm not sure we could match the accent..
:D

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 pm

The latest trick I've seen here in the upper Midwest is the rogues have started using local numbers. I've noticed several that have the local area code and prefix but when you answer it you hear the same old robocall. Most times it will also show a individuals name so it looks like a legit local call.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 am

H wrote:
Fozzer wrote:The problem I have now, if any of the Cold-callers read this, they will ring me up, and fool me, and say:..."Hi Dad"...
We could try that but, even with just those two words, I'm not sure we could match the accent..
:D

8-)

Cor, Blimey, Guv'nor....

...stone the Crows!... :o ...!

Paul.....from sarf Lundun... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to General Discussion