Fun on Capitol Hill...!

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Fun on Capitol Hill...!

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:19 am

I hate the Cold, and Snow, and Ice..... :roll: .....

But this little snippet of news brought a warm blast of air to my News today.... :dance: ...!

Folks braving the recent cold blast of air in the North East USA....>>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39273569

Paul.... :D ...!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -snowstorm

P.S. I wish the Media would distinguish between Washington DC (District of Columbia) on the Atlantic Coast, and The State of Washington on the North-West Pacific Coast!
Every time is see; "Washington" mentioned, I automatically relate to the State of Washington!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Fun on Capitol Hill...!

Postby H » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:24 am

Fozzer wrote:P.S. I wish the Media would distinguish between Washington DC (District of Columbia) on the Atlantic Coast, and The State of Washington on the North-West Pacific Coast! Every time is see; "Washington" mentioned, I automatically relate to the State of Washington!
We've the same problem with it -- unfortunately, Washington D.C. was established first and referencing it just as* 'Washington' became a habit.

* Seems I double-struck the "s" -- perhaps you'd rather I hadn't corrected the typo?
:whistle:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 pm

@H....

You Blokes up in the Atlantic North East are having a rough-old time of it at the mo', with all the Snow and Ice!... :o ....!

The cold blasts of air from Canada!

Many of my You Tube Motorcycling Chums from New England (and the accompanying/nearby States!... ;) ...), are not able to get out and about on their Motorcycles!

Although England is on the same latitude as the NE USA, I suspect that our temperate climate and the warm Gulf Stream keeps us protected for most of the Winter.

Still....Spring is on the way...and something to look forward to!... :D ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Yesterday, they'd plowed a lane in front of my Lincoln but I had to enter on the passenger side; snow was up over the roof from the driver's side. I started it forward into the snow in front of it but it started spinning; I backed it up, shifted to drive again and smashed through into the open. It then took a couple hrs to shovel the somewhat hard-packed snow out of the parking area. Winds at 35mph are harsh for NH -- in Nebraska, that's just a stiff breeze -- and its windchill is just as harsh as elsewhere.
I knew someone who decided to take the chilly, snow scene route from Hastings, NE, to his parents' home in So. Dakota for Christmas; I told him he was nuts. When I was restricted to bicycle, I refused to ride it during winter. During a blizzard over seven years ago, I was approached by a snow-plow on my 5-mile journey to work and had to scramble over the adjacent snowbank to get out of the way; the snow had already gotten deep enough that I doubt I could have traversed with my bicycle but, had I, I could never have gotten out of the way in time with it. I wouldn't have fared any better by motorcycle -- it would have had to fend for itself with the plow -- and I would have been walking from then on, anyway.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Discussion