Nickle, Bucks, Dimes, and Quarters...

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Nickle, Bucks, Dimes, and Quarters...

Postby Fozzer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:07 am

One thing that ALWAYS annoys me is when British Folks, (who should know better), use the the letter "P" (Pee) to describe the English Penny, or Pence.

When the UK went to using Decimal Coinage in February 1971...>>>

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/decim ... al-coinage

To differentiate between the old Coinage and the new Decimal Coinage the the letter "P" was introduced.

1P instead of 1d (old Penny).
10P instead of 10d (old pence).
50P instead of 50s (old Shillings).

After 40+ years, you would think that British Folks would have got used to the fact by now, and refer to the Penny as a; "Penny/Pence", and not a; "P" (pee), as in Urinate!... :evil: ...!

The item on sale should be described as costing; "99 PENCE"...NOT; "99 Pee".... :evil: ....!

I quite like our British Coinage, and I don't like it being treated like trash!

Do my American Cousins feel the same way, regarding their own Coinage?....>>>

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... 348AAM3dua

When a British advertiser refers to an object for sale as costing 50 PEE, I have an overwhelming urge to poke them in the eye!... ;) ...!
...its 50 PENCE!

When it comes to; "Annoying Things"...I am also on a Crusade to remove the annoying/infuriating/overly-used American/would-be-American word; "Awesome" from the English Language... :pray: ....!

Paul...Today's Rant temporarily suspended... ;) .... :lol: .... :lol: ....!

...more stuff coming soon... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Nickle, Bucks, Dimes, and Quarters...

Postby Hagar » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 am

Fozzer wrote:One thing that ALWAYS annoys me is when British Folks, (who should know better), use the the letter "P" (Pee) to describe the English Penny, or Pence.

It's interesting what annoys people. I have no problem with shortening pence to P. In fact I use it all the time myself. 8-)

.I am also on a Crusade to remove the annoying/infuriating/overly-used American/would-be-American word; "Awesome" from the English Language... :pray: ....!

One of the things that really irritates me is the increasing popularity of the adverb overly. :roll: The LY is usually completely unnecessary & over-used or overused would be more appropriate in this example. :P

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:04 am

Well, whatever. I haven't had a P around here in a long time. I think I've got some quarters somewhere, and hey, lookee here, a fifth!

Y'know, I've been thinking about that "awesome" word. I think we can do a compromise here. How about restricting use of the word to only describe certain musical items, like, "Hendrix was an awesome guitarist", or "Led Zep was an awesome group". How else can you describe stuff like that?

Speaking of "you know", there's another one for ya. THAT oughta be outlawed. I've got a friend who's every other word is "you know". Tough to listen to.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby pete » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 am

Language is fluid and ever evolving. 'English' & 'Italian' for example (or whatever language) during Roman times was very different from Shakespearean times which was very different from today and in 200 years (if humans are still here) it will be different again ..... ;)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pilotwin7 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:19 am

Fozzer wrote:
When it comes to; "Annoying Things"...I am also on a Crusade to remove the annoying/infuriating/overly-used American/would-be-American word; "Awesome" from the English Language... :pray: ....!

;) ...!

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:32 am

How about; "Like"?.... :roll: ...!

"We are going down town LIKE in a minute".

"He was LIKE nasty to me!"

"Her finger nails were LIKE too long!".

...ad infinitum...

Judge Judy's pet hate!.... ;) .... :lol: ...!

Paul....Its going to be LIKE Tea-Time soon.....No wot I mean?.... :D ...!

......Wotevva.... :roll: ..!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:12 am

pete wrote:Language is fluid and ever evolving. 'English' & 'Italian' for example (or whatever language) during Roman times was very different ...

I don't think that you have to go back that far.

How many recognize this excerpt?

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye-
(So priketh hem Nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke

To those that have trouble reading it - Yes, it IS English.

Well, I suppose that it could have been typed by a long lived monkey. :think:

(See the infinite monkey theorem)
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:27 pm

(Like).Arrrgh!

Nearly drives me nuts!
When people,mostly young,use it ten times
in a sentence.

Anthin... :x :naughty:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Shadowcaster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:49 am

Paul a good rant now and again is the right of us Grumpy Old Men. :lol:
My pet hate at the moment is "Working On It" it crops up everywhere from TV shows to Windows 10 when the PC is doing something, very annoying. :twisted:

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:28 am

Shadowcaster wrote:Paul a good rant now and again is the right of us Grumpy Old Men. :lol:
My pet hate at the moment is "Working On It" it crops up everywhere from TV shows to Windows 10 when the PC is doing something, very annoying. :twisted:

Cheers
Rich

..... :D ... :D ...!

For a complete collection of all the things that you find annoying in folks, its well worth a watching CBS Reality; " Judge Judy" on Freeview TV.... ;) ...!

http://www.judgejudy.com/

There you will find a collection of individuals with a whole new language, who will make you toes turn up!..... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

If ever you want to find out how the other half of society live, then tune into "Judge Judy", for some lively entertainment/education!... :o ....!

I must admit that I am addicted to the program, while gasping for breath!

Paul..... :lol: ... :lol: .... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pilotwin7 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:55 am

pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 am

My absolute most worstest is "you know" !
Especially when they have radio interviews, & there is a 'you know' in literally every sentence.

I feel like phoning in & saying, 'I don't know!', whis is what I said to my ex one day, & got a pan thrown at me. lol.

& yes, 'literally' is literally another pet hate of mine, you know. As in... ' Like, I'm literally going for a drive, you know'
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:27 am

Of for have
At the end of the day
Whatever
Aks instead of ask

Poor grammar, poor spelling & poor diction genirolly wind meez up

Taht iz oll.

Goodnite
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 am

Being curious regarding the use of the word "Aks", instead of "Ask", by American Africans, I googled it, and this is what comes up as an explanation...>>>

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-peopl ... ead-of-ask

A one hour session with Judge Judy will illustrate its common use.... :shock: ....!

Paul....I aks myself... :think: ...!

P.A....and how about the inclusion of;..."no wot I meen?" after every statement!.... :twisted: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:46 am

Hagar wrote:
Fozzer wrote:One thing that ALWAYS annoys me is when British Folks, (who should know better), use the the letter "P" (Pee) to describe the English Penny, or Pence.

It's interesting what annoys people. I have no problem with shortening pence to P. In fact I use it all the time myself. 8-)

.I am also on a Crusade to remove the annoying/infuriating/overly-used American/would-be-American word; "Awesome" from the English Language... :pray: ....!

One of the things that really irritates me is the increasing popularity of the adverb overly. :roll: The LY is usually completely unnecessary & over-used or overused would be more appropriate in this example. :P

The one the annoys me is people who start every sentence with absolutely.... :x :x

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to General Discussion