The reason why....

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

The reason why....

Postby Fozzer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:25 am

...I avoid setting up my Flight Sim to fly around the white stuff that our FlyingTrucker (Doug) loves so much....

...SNOW!.... :shock: ....!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30118783

I am hoping that I can get through this Winter without experiencing/suffering any of the stuff surrounding me!

Those New-Yorkers are having a hard time at the moment, buried under it!

Forecast for the whole of the Mid-West!....>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25609443

Paul....dreaming of warmer times!.... :D ...!

...and another reason!...>>>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-30119410
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: The reason why....

Postby PhantomTweak » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:50 pm

Yeah, it's horrible, let me tell ya!

The other morning we got nearly 1/4 inch of show! Everyone was in a panic...Until it melted off about 11AM! But overall, it was a severe hardship, let me tell ya! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And then, the next day it actually RAINED!

I tell ya, the weather lately...SHEESH! :lol:

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 am

Buffalo, NY

Snow? What snow???

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:35 am

I think if I had to live under those conditions I would be left with two choices:

(1) Move to somewhere else, much warmer.
(2) Commit suicide (Like the depressed Folks in Alaska).

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/14/world ... .html?_r=0

A depressing situation in extreme Northern Climes.

Coping with it...>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_State_Troopers

I find the Winters bad enough under normal conditions, but to suffer all that cold and snow would be unbearable for me!

I don't think that modern Humans evolved to enjoy extreme cold climates on Earth!...I know I didn't!... :o ...!

Paul....'snow Joke!... :roll: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:52 am

Being prepared and acclimated for the cold and snow is 90% of the battle... when you live in it for 6 months out of the year, it just becomes part of life.

It's a never ending battle; when it's 100° out I dream of Winter, and when it's -6° I scream for Hot Temps!

There is something to be said for having four distinct Seasons, though... it makes for an exciting Year!

:D
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:06 pm

England, being in a Temperate Zone, we definitely experience four distinct Seasons throughout the year:
Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter, and each with its own distinctive Flora and Fauna....
Its just that the warm, bright, sunny, late Spring, Summer, and early Autumn months make me happy, and open all sorts of pleasant things to do outside, without feeling uncomfortable...
Whereas the dark, cold, costly, Winter months trap me indoors for most of the day, and restrict all the outdoor activities that I enjoy so much during the Summer months!
...in other words, up to nine months of my life each year is wasted in the cold and darkness, waiting for the delights of Summer to arrive again!
The Northern Hemispheres contain the most depressed and suicidal folks....cold and darkness!

Paul......Waking up with clear blue sky, on a hot Summers day, brightens up my whole existence for the next 18 hours!!.... :dance: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Cold?, I'm not cold at all.

Flying in a winter wonderland.

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:13 am

Here's the really weird part of the Buffalo snow storm. I'm originally from Buffalo and the other day I called my younger brother who still lives there along with my mother to see if they were Okay. My brother said they lucked out being on the north end of the city closer to Niagara Falls. They hardly got a dusting of snow while the south side, which is just a few of miles away, got hammered. As he said, the edge of any storm has to be somewhere and luckily they were on the sunny side of it.

To be quite honest Paul I'd rather deal with the snow than the cold temps, if there's a choice to be had. Here in Minnesota we don't usually get as much snow as Western New York but we do catch the arctic winds blowing down through Canada. They drive the temps down into the -20's and -30's quite often but the kids still have to go out and wait for the school bus. I've lived here almost 23 years and the coldest I've seen it was -70 but that was with the wind chill included. When I worked for Northwest Airlines I remember having to go out and do overnight checks on DC-9's and B-727's when it was -20 or so. We probably didn't change quite as many tires and brakes as we should have. The tire tread wear gauge always seemed to grow a few thousands of an inch with the colder air temps. Kind of like how water expands with the cold. :lol:

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:53 am

Ahhh. Beautiful Minnesota.

When I lived in Rockford, MN the air temperature got down to -40 degrees. I have no idea what the wind chill was.

It took me about 30 - 35 years before 32 degrees felt anything like cold to me. Twenty degrees, or higher, was comfortable weather back then.

I must say, having lived in nine states, that the nicest people I have ever met were in Minnesota.

It may have to do with the loud crunching of snow beneath your feet, or how it takes a mile or two for the flat spot in all four tires to become round again.

It could also come from watching people cross country skiing to work, FOR FUN!

Or, maybe, it's how you don't mind the ice building up on your mustache.

Then too, it just might be how everybody knows the words to the Powder Milk Biscuits song. :D

The short version.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7F8s54DypQ[/youtube]
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:16 pm

OldAirmail wrote:Ahhh. Beautiful Minnesota.

When I lived in Rockford, MN the air temperature got down to -40 degrees. I have no idea what the wind chill was.

It took me about 30 - 35 years before 32 degrees felt anything like cold to me. Twenty degrees, or higher, was comfortable weather back then.

I must say, having lived in nine states, that the nicest people I have ever met were in Minnesota.

It may have to do with the loud crunching of snow beneath your feet, or how it takes a mile or two for the flat spot in all four tires to become round again.

It could also come from watching people cross country skiing to work, FOR FUN!

Or, maybe, it's how you don't mind the ice building up on your mustache.

Then too, it just might be how everybody knows the words to the Powder Milk Biscuits song. :D

Unfortunately I think "Minnesota Nice" isn't much alive anymore. Even in the Twin Cities the people are very cliquish. I've heard quite a few folks like myself who moved here from other states comment on the cliquish atmosphere. If you didn't go to grammar school or high school with them or grow up in the same neighborhood you'll always be an outsider to some degree. Alexandria, where we live now, is the same way. If you weren't born and raised here you're not one of them. The attitude is really amazing sometimes. When we first moved into our home in Plymouth, which is a northwestern suburb of Minneapolis, we were the second family on the street. The first ones beat us there by a week. As other houses were built of course other people moved into OUR neighborhood. One of the first questions people would ask is "Where are you from?" A reasonable question wouldn't you say? But as soon as you answer that you're from another state the conversation withered away. Especially for my wife who's from California. You wouldn't believe some of the reactions to that answer. :lol:
When our daughter graduates from high school in three and 1/2 years we'll probably move out of here, depending on where she goes to college to some extent. Probably somewhere warmer since my Californian absolutely HATES the F#@*)<:">&%#& SNOW and COLD!!!!
I just don't know what her problem is; it's a balmy 32°F right now and sunny....well fairly sunny that is....when the dark, grey clouds move out of the way I mean. But hey, no chill factor today.....well almost none....22°F isn't so bad.......It could be worst. there could be a - sign in front of it, eh?

Well I guess I'll go outside and try to find the dog. I told the Mrs not to buy a white cockapoo in Minnesota. Fine for the summer but the other 9 months of the year it's hell trying to find him out in the yard. Luckily he has black eyes and I tied an orange flag to his tail. Just wish he had a longer tail. :lol:

Hawkeye

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Well, it's been 30+ years since I left. I moved from Florida to Minneapolis, and later to Rockford.

I did notice a significant difference between the people in Minneapolis and St Paul. And I usually kept to the Minneapolis side.

I'm supposing that out in the country it's more like Maine.

There once was an obituary about an old man in some little town. It said something to the effect that "Mr. ?, a new comer to town has passed away 30 years after moving to Maine."

People in Maine can be like that, if you aren't born there. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:42 am

I was stationed at NAS Brunswick back in the late 1971 to early '73 time frame and back then the people were pretty nice. I lived outside of town in a beautiful forested area on the Cathance River right next to a small waterfall. ( I just looked it up on Bing maps and the grist mill and apartments still there!) Back then Brunswick was rather small and had a large percentage of military families and everybody got along pretty good. Now if you go up to the other side of Bangor to where my aunt and uncle live in a small town called Lincoln Center it's a whole different world. It's pretty much just like you said OAM, if your family doesn't go back at least 3rd generations in a place you're the newcomers.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby H » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:15 am

OldAirmail wrote:There once was an obituary about an old man in some little town. It said something to the effect that "Mr. ?, a new comer to town has passed away 30 years after moving to Maine."
People in Maine can be like that, if you aren't born there.
Well, they're also known as Mainiacs... like my mom's paternal relatives. ;)
I was born in a NH hospital but my first residence was a cottage overlooking the bay in Belfast, ME.

Kind of a reverse to Hawkeye, I entered the USAF in the northeast (NH) but was redeployed (from Biloxi, MS) to his current area in '73; I was at a remote site, my support base (over 100 miles away by road) was Offutt AFB, Belleview (near Omaha).

8)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Discussion