NORCAL Wildfires at Weed.....

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

NORCAL Wildfires at Weed.....

Postby Fozzer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:11 pm

The continuing drought.

.... http://news.kron4.com/news/video-hundre ... alifornia/

Time to get my trusty Cessna 150 out at Weed Airfield (O46), on Interstate 5, near Mount Shasta, to explore the fires.

One of our Members lives at Weed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed,_California

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: NORCAL Wildfires at Weed.....

Postby PhantomTweak » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't live in Weed, but pretty close: Klammath Falls (OK,OK, 30 Mi N of KF, but close!), and yes, we are monitoring the situation closely, especially given the strength and direction of the winds today.

If we have to bug out, we are prepped and ready! I'll keep an eye on the sky for Paul's 150 :lol: , although given I only have one, that may be a bit tough...

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:38 am

PhantomTweak wrote:I don't live in Weed, but pretty close: Klammath Falls (OK,OK, 30 Mi N of KF, but close!), and yes, we are monitoring the situation closely, especially given the strength and direction of the winds today.

If we have to bug out, we are prepped and ready! I'll keep an eye on the sky for Paul's 150 :lol: , although given I only have one, that may be a bit tough...

Pat☺

"Eye-eye", Captain!.... :D ...!

Bad news for the residents, Pat...>>> http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-weed ... story.html

Although NORCAL and SOCAL is suffering from worrying droughts and wildfires, I do envy your lovely warm weather and clear blue skies, for some fantastic, short-sleeved, Motorcycle rides on some wonderful routes on well-kempt roads, which I regularly observe on U-Tube!
Over here, we seem to get a couple of days of "nice" weather, and for the rest of the year we are togged-up, shivering, rain-soaked, in our full riding gear!

I'm following the various wildfires daily, as usual, and locating and flying the areas on my FSX.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Paul.... 8-) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wifesaysno » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:26 am

Town suffered heavy damage.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

That is why the Forestry service needs the big air tankers.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:36 am

That is why the Forestry service needs the big air tankers.

Yup, and let me tell you, it's not easy driving through Klammath while "plane spotting" all the tankers making the pattern into KLMT! The choppers were even flying into Chiloquin here (the airport in the town I live in, mostly used for the $100.00 hamburger opportunities...), the congestion was so bad. Lot safer and easier sitting on the front porch watching that though! :lol:
We had a series of light but steady rains moving through from S to N all afternoon yesterday and last evening, right up through this morning, which I am sure will be of huge benefit to the firefighters.
I tell ya, Klammath is a heck of a great town though! Restaurants are either making meals for the firemen as they work, or offering free meals to them while they rest & recoup in town. Napa Auto Parts even has a "Welcome Fire Fighters" sign in the window!

I really do wish though, that people would realize a fire this size is their own fault, not letting smaller, more frequent fires occur every year or two as Nature intended. The smaller fires would have cleared out all the fuel (underbrush/deadwood etc) as they should and we wouldn't have these really big fires now! Instead, the instant there is a small fire in the undergrowth, humans rush in and put it out, letting the fuel supply just get bigger and bigger...and now we have this! Heck, there are even trees that can't seed without a forest fire going through and opening the cones...and the longer the forest goes without, the poorer and poorer the soil gets without the fires to recycle the nutrients. Can ya tell this is a pet peeve of mine??

I do envy your lovely warm weather and clear blue skies, for some fantastic, short-sleeved, Motorcycle rides on some wonderful routes on well-kempt roads, which I regularly observe on U-Tube!

This year has been suprisingly mild though. I don't know if there are any videos out there of rides at Crater Lake, but it would be incredible if I still could! Every time we go into Klammath proper, we see many many groups and single bikers on all flavors of bikes, heading up to Crater Lake for the day. I really do wish I were still able to join them...

Anyway, thanks for your concern, Paul and All :lol: We are being very careful, with MRE's, canned and bottled water, camping and other survival supplies all ready to go. We even have the kitty-carriers staged and set for our 3 kitties...Sorry Paul, but we are cat folks...

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am

It always seem very strange to me that Californians, etc, always continue to build their buildings in amongst dense trees and shrub, knowing full well that it is extremely likely to catch fire during a dry season!
The deadly wild fire at Lake Tahoe a few years ago supports that theory...all the buildings destroyed in the midst of the forest!

Paul..... :( ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 am

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to General Discussion