Scottish independence explained

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Scottish independence explained

Postby Webb » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:52 pm

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Scottish independence explained

Postby Fozzer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Another fond look at typical Scottish Folk north of England...>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs

Paul.... ;) ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ftldave » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:18 am

My wife's home country, Armenia, had similar grand hopes about independence when the USSR collapsed. They hoped their newly independent republic would sell apricots and brandy, become the fruit basket of the CIS. Didn't work out. Now young people are fleeing the country because there's no hope, no jobs, no future. And many of the nationalists who were the loudest supporters of independence have left, too, leaving mafia thugs and the like to squander what's left of that little country. Of course, comparing a post-Soviet republic to Scotland is a big, big stretch. And, unlike Scotland, Armenia has no offshore oil.

The authors of the linked report are mistaken that author Iain Banks will vote yes in the referendum. He's been dead over a year. :roll:
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Bass » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:41 am

Reading history tells me a lot of the Scottish way of thinking, even today :think:
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am

I'm half-Jock/half-Paddy. Personally I don't think independence is a good idea for Scotland. Much as I love the country, its better off in the Union. But at the end of the day, you can't tell people how to live their lives, and if they choose independence, so be it.
I would also point out that Sir Sean Connery lives in the Bahamas... 'nuff said :-D
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Webb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Sean Connery probably can't afford the British taxes. :lol:

My first idea was to post a picture of his famous "Scotland Forever" tattoo. When I couldn't find an acceptable one I went with the full frame pic.

I also would have accepted a picture of a famous Scot waving goodbye from Swilken Burn but I couldn't find one of those either. This is Tom Watson.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:53 am

..the funny thing is....

As England, Scotland, and Wales have no internal Border Controls, the whole of Great Britain is just one big country to me, as I drive/ride between them!... :D ...!
I live a mere 20 miles from the Welsh border, and I ride to and fro between England and Wales as though there is no difference between them!
I imagine it would be the same for our U.S. Chums, driving/riding between various States!
(The good thing is, we only have one Time Zone to worry about!!).... :P ...!
There is just a small/large sign on the side of the road, welcoming us between locations!
The only thing that would change for me, if the answer is a; "Yes", would be bits missing off our Union Flag...which would be a shame... :cry: ....!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

Paul....An Ancient Briton... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:23 am

Nah, this is a good Scotsman, Tom Kitchin. An AMAZING chef!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 am

ozzy72 wrote:Nah, this is a good Scotsman, Tom Kitchin. An AMAZING chef!
https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 023287.jpg

...but he cooks French Snails instead of Scottish Haggis, Mark!... :o ...>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Kitchin

Paul...Haggis is good for you.... :D ...!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

As well as being delightfully edible, Haggis also has other uses...>>>

Haggis Hurling:
Quote:
"Haggis is used in a sport called Haggis Hurling, which involves throwing a haggis as far as possible. The world record for haggis hurling was achieved by Lorne Coltart on 11 June 2011, who hurled his haggis 217 feet. This throw surpassed the longstanding previous record of 180 feet 10 inches (55.12 m), held by Alan Pettigrew since 1984.[17][18]"
End quote.
Scottish fun at its best!..... :lol: ...!

Other delights!...>>> "Scotch whisky is often asserted to be the traditional accompaniment for haggis..."...HIC!.... :oops: ... ;) ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:16 pm

That is seriously funny! Now the question is.. Will that piece of chicken outlast Scotland? Probably, 500 years from now, that chicken will still look exactly the same. :whistle:
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Someone has eaten Wales!

Paul...
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Moby Dick? :-D
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby logjam » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:25 pm

Whatever happened to Berwick-upon-Tweed? Wasn't part of Great Britain, so they included it in the United Kingdon of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Berwick-upon-Tweed. There's no mention of Scotland or Wales.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby H » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Fozzer wrote:..the funny thing is....

As England, Scotland, and Wales have no internal Border Controls, the whole of Great Britain is just one big country to me, as I drive/ride between them!... and I ride to and fro between England and Wales as though there is no difference between them!
I imagine it would be the same for our U.S. Chums, driving/riding between various States!
Basically, although there are sometimes a variant law or so. I also found getting into Canada (Ontario) from Michigan no problem; however, getting out to New York can be problematic; your traverse is timed and heaven help you after you've used an off-route restroom and, in your haste, find the nearest, off-route crossing.
Of course, that was in the 1990s and it may be worse now.

8)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to General Discussion