lateral trim to compensate for asymetric loading?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

lateral trim to compensate for asymetric loading?

Postby snippyfsxer » Mon May 17, 2010 8:07 am

When flying tiny little planes in the sim, I normally put two passengers up front to avoid the asymetric loads.  However, that is sort of cheating if you are flying alone.

So a plane like the Cherokee (at least in the sim, perhaps incorrectly), with only a pilot, wants to roll to the left.  I think this plane only has rudder trim.  So I can trim it out, for wings level, but then I'm flying at a slight crab angle.

Putting aside the issue of engine out situations in multi-engine planes, what is the proper use of Rudder, and or Aileron trim?  Should I simply be trying to level the wings, or should I be trying to center the ball too?  I never can manage to do both it seems.  I'm sort of embarrassed to ask because I've been simming for so damned long, it sounds like such a basic issue to not know...
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: lateral trim to compensate for asymetric loading?

Postby olderndirt » Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 am

You want the plane to fly straight so ball in the center.  Burn fuel off your side first.  Experience has shown that, in a wing low situation, it's mostly an aileron thing so bring wings level and apply whatever rudder, foot or trim, you need to keep it straight - usually not much.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Mon May 17, 2010 12:32 pm

I think you are talking about P-Factor.... where the downgoing blade (in a right-hand turning engine) produces more thrust than the upgoing blade.
Last edited by -Crossfire- on Mon May 17, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby snippyfsxer » Mon May 17, 2010 8:13 pm

[quote]I think you are talking about P-Factor.... where the downgoing blade (in a right-hand turning engine) produces more thrust than the upgoing blade.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Mon May 17, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue May 18, 2010 6:07 am

[quote]Someone correct me if I'm wrong:
Last edited by Brett_Henderson on Tue May 18, 2010 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 am

[quote][quote]I think you are talking about P-Factor.... where the downgoing blade (in a right-hand turning engine) produces more thrust than the upgoing blade.
Last edited by beaky on Tue May 18, 2010 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Flight School