Converting Mach to Knots

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Converting Mach to Knots

Postby Delta2014 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:09 am

Hello,

I have been studying a couple of charts from the F-106 Delta Dart flight manual, and the speeds shown are in mach.

Since mach changes at different altitudes, I was curious to know if the charts in the manuals showing mach numbers use static mach numbers (1Mach = 661.47knots).

Or, do the mach numbers on the charts need to be converted to knots with an aviation calculator such as the one on this page:

http://www.hochwarth.com/misc/AviationCalculator.html

If you would like to see the charts in the F-106 manual, you can download the manual here:

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/manuals_documents.htm

The manual I downloaded is:

T.O. 1F-106A-1 (1969, rev.1972)

Take a look at pages 6-8 to 6-18.

Thanks very much,

Delta2014
Delta2014
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Converting Mach to Knots

Postby aeroart » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Mach Number depends only on temperature. The conversion link you included will give you mach number for standard atmosphere temps at various altitudes.

Art
aeroart
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Converting Mach to Knots

Postby GlobalHobo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:26 pm

No conversions from these charts. The way the Air Force does their manuals, the "Dash One" (T.O.F106A-1) covers operating procedures. Any charts are to illustrate guidelines or limitations. In those charts you are concerned with, they are only illustrating the mach envelope of the airplane.
If you want specific operating numbers, you have to go to the "One Dash One" (T.O.F106A-1-1), which is the performance manual.
This arrangement applies to any Air Force aircraft: The Dash One is the operating manual, the One Dash One is the performance manual. You gotta have both to fly.
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School