RoF and Flight.

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: RoF and Flight.

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm

[quote] I took a flight with my sopcamel in rof. Luckwise the engine started without blowing up, but i sure hoped i had a parachute after meeting the enemy!!
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby andy190 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:53 pm

That and, pilots in WWI never brought parachutes with them.

Pilots of the RFC weren

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:59 am

[quote][quote] I took a flight with my sopcamel in rof. Luckwise the engine started without blowing up, but i sure hoped i had a parachute after meeting the enemy!!
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:36 pm

[quote]Pilots of the RFC weren
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 am

About the parashute. I only want to point out, that the sim RoF is not easy (not to talk about ms flight), and that is what i like when flying (at that time)!

I got a revolver to shute with also when flying, but having some on my back shooting me to parts, then a parashute comes to mind.

Would you care to reword the above quoted, please?

What I understood of the first part is that you believe RoF not to be easy, and here I can believe you, and M$ Flight to be EVEN MORE difficult... thing that leave me like this: :-?

The second part... you mean you have a Sopwith Camel with no armament, and only can shoot from a revolver? I thought the era of revolver and rifles on board to shoot to other planes ended WITH the introducing of the Sopwith Camel and its synchronized Vickers, on that front of the war, if not even before. :P[/quote]

Misunstanding language here we go, ok.
I should have said "unlike ms flight", sorry!
Last edited by Bass on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:37 am

[quote]
Ofcourse i have guns on the sw, going forward!! But that wont help me when my plane is being shooting to pieces from behind, will it? I only made a note, that i have a revolver i can use in the sim. If i succeded to shoot down the enemy with that revolver, while fighting for my life, i think a lot of heavy medals wont get me into the air next time i fly the camel.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby andy190 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Second rule: putting YOURSELF at your enemy's Six 'o Clock, and/or above him, is PARAMOUNT.

Not if it is a Two-seater, then you should try & get underneath it.

Fifth Rule: If it's a Two-seater always shoot the Gunner first. This was one of von Richthofen's main rules.

Sixth Rule: If an enemy is flying derictly at you DON'T turn away. This was a major rule in the RFC.

First, and most important, revolvers are NOT machine guns. They are, as a rule, low powered when dealing with anti-material roles. Even today's Magnum series or the famed Desert Eagle .50 do not measure up with machine guns fire. They have about 50 meters of useful range and bad effectiveness against a plane, and back in those time there were no Magnum the like of today's, so cut the range off of at least 10 meters and dial WAY down any amount damage to any plane... THEN you must consider that your slow and almost spent bullets, if caught at the end of their range, almost assuredly were batted away from your enemy's propeller like an annoying fly, or stopped dead by the glass of your enemy's cockpit's wind deflector, or the metal of his rotating engine's casing, or even the rotating engine heads... you should have been SO LUCKY that a bullet from your revolver COULD have SLIGHTLY DENTED the radiator of a water cooled engine powered fighter, IF EVEN THAT.

The First air combat was fought with a Rifle & a Revolver. ;)

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:45 am

[quote][quote]
Ofcourse i have guns on the sw, going forward!! But that wont help me when my plane is being shooting to pieces from behind, will it? I only made a note, that i have a revolver i can use in the sim. If i succeded to shoot down the enemy with that revolver, while fighting for my life, i think a lot of heavy medals wont get me into the air next time i fly the camel.

Bass
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:46 am

Second rule: putting YOURSELF at your enemy's Six 'o Clock, and/or above him, is PARAMOUNT.

Not if it is a Two-seater, then you should try & get underneath it.

Fifth Rule: If it's a Two-seater always shoot the Gunner first. This was one of von Richthofen's main rules.

Sixth Rule: If an enemy is flying derictly at you DON'T turn away. This was a major rule in the RFC.

At the moment at least, it seems no two-seaters are available under RoF, so it's a little redundant... maybe in anticipation of a future new AI plane... but for now... :P

That said, I somehow doubt that in the battle AI routines they implemented the possibility for a head-to-head slugfest so favored by the Japanese on the Pacific theater (and in fact... I seem to have never met a simulated Japanese under CFS who engaged me in that kind of air battle... but then... CFS is pretty old...). :-/

What you wrote would be useful for real life air battles of the times, but for simulated air battles under the current limitation of hardware/software, they fall under the category: most of the times of doubtful usefulness. ;)

First, and most important, revolvers are NOT machine guns. They are, as a rule, low powered when dealing with anti-material roles. Even today's Magnum series or the famed Desert Eagle .50 do not measure up with machine guns fire. They have about 50 meters of useful range and bad effectiveness against a plane, and back in those time there were no Magnum the like of today's, so cut the range off of at least 10 meters and dial WAY down any amount damage to any plane... THEN you must consider that your slow and almost spent bullets, if caught at the end of their range, almost assuredly were batted away from your enemy's propeller like an annoying fly, or stopped dead by the glass of your enemy's cockpit's wind deflector, or the metal of his rotating engine's casing, or even the rotating engine heads... you should have been SO LUCKY that a bullet from your revolver COULD have SLIGHTLY DENTED the radiator of a water cooled engine powered fighter, IF EVEN THAT.

The First air combat was fought with a Rifle & a Revolver. ;)

Yes, and there is NO report at all about damages done or received from the use of those weaponry from no side of the warring parts. It was simply a way to show defiance and belligerence to the enemy. Period.

Beside the doubtful experiments made in England with a plane with a pushing propeller (seen once in a documentary... they were insane those Brits), the French mounting their machine guns on the upper wing (good idea, but the gun jamming was a problem only partially resolved by mounting said gun on a rocker that allowed the pilot to better access it remaining seated) and the rather bizarre story about a French inventor mounting a steel deflector on the propeller to protect the propeller itself from the occasional bullet (no comment), until the arrival of Fokker's synchronizer (immediately copied from the allies after a German plane mounting it was recovered and reverse engineered) there was no way to shoot in front of the plane.

Before then, and as you mentioned, just the two seaters could boast machine gun fire, but only for the aft part of the plane and only for defense.

The attempts to shoot down an enemy plane made with revolvers (preferred on the semi-automatic guns the like of the Colt 1911 because the revolvers did not spit out spent ammo cases that could still contain remnants of burning powder... on a plane built out of wood and canvas) or even the much more adequate for range and power, but so much less so for speed of fire bolt action rifles (the M1 Garand and/or the Browning B.A.R. were all still way in the future) were certified failures at large (had they worked, there would have be no need at all to develop costly frontal machine gun fire). :P

The mass adoption of incendiary rounds in the last year or so of the WWI pretty much allowed to shoot down other canvas and wood made planes with a well placed burst, instead of staying there shooting and shooting hoping to get the pilot and/or a sensitive mechanical gizmo (engine electrical or other sensitive parts, fuel lines, wing and tail mobile parts tiers) that would make the plane descent beforetime. And I'm writing this because almost no simulator (or so called one) EVER made possible the use of this last kind of ammo, in their simulated first world war, that I know of. :-X
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:52 am

"At the moment at least, it seems no two-seaters are available under RoF, so it's a little redundant... maybe in anticipation of a future new AI plane... but for now... Tongue"

You are so wrong! Why state something you dont know about?

Bass
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:56 am

"At the moment at least, it seems no two-seaters are available under RoF, so it's a little redundant... maybe in anticipation of a future new AI plane... but for now... Tongue"

You are so wrong! Why state something you dont know about?

Don't take it as a personal affront. Had not see any. You say there is? Then I apologize and suggest you to beware to the back fire of those, following the fifth rule quoted by Andy. ::)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:14 am

I dont take anything personal, maybe i would, if i got a affront attack.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_Fl ... at_Air_War

Bass
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:06 pm

[quote]Holy macro. Thats a lesson to a "first timer" flying combat.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby andy190 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Beside the doubtful experiments made in England with a plane with a pushing propeller (seen once in a documentary... they were insane those Brits)

Are you calling the Airco D.H.1 & D.H.2 "doubtful experiments"?

In 1915 they were some of the planes that ended the Fokker Scourge.

andy190
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Beside the doubtful experiments made in England with a plane with a pushing propeller (seen once in a documentary... they were insane those Brits)

Are you calling the Airco D.H.1 & D.H.2 "doubtful experiments"?

In 1915 they were some of the planes that ended the Fokker Scourge.

Sweet God in heaven, what have you gone and recovered... the documentary I spoke about only showed what now I recognize ad the DH1 and ever since I've never found anything about it... interesting... :D

Anyway, I did not call them "useless", did I? But doubtful they do remain, though, since NO actual fighter plane has ever come out of that engine and propeller disposition. ;)

...that I know of, at least... :-?
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'