...experiences with FSX...

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: ...experiences with FSX...

Postby flymo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:26 am

paul take a look here try some of the fixes, ive managed to get 35FPS min and 55FPS max (unlimited ofcourse) my applying some of the settings, and im running everything on high except for aircraft which is on ultra high.
you may not be able to run that high but you iwll probs get more FPS at your current settings

john
flymo

Postby Daube » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:59 am

Well, FS lovers, I've not seen anyone recommending to turn off self-shadowing before (but then again, I may have missed it as I don't get around very much.. ??? )

The fact is that appart from the enormous new amount of details, FSX also uses some of the latest graphical features offered by recent video cards.

Those features, such as reflecting water, ocean waves, reflecting runways, autogen bump-mapping (remember the building windows are supposed to reflect the sun ?) and of course self-shadowing are extremely costy, especially of today's average cards.

Disabling those features (by the setup, or by any tweaks such as texture conversion) is the main steps community has found so far to earn performance, allowing a little increase in the level of details of the scenery :)
Last edited by Daube on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:56 am

Disabling those features (by the setup, or by any tweaks such as texture conversion) is the main steps community has found so far to earn performance, allowing a little increase in the level of details of the scenery :)

Thereby removing a lot of the new features of the new sim.  Ditto on all the "reduced texture" fixes....... taking OUT what was supposed to be what you were buying.

I still thinkwaiting until the hardware catches up  may be the way to go here.

best,

.....................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:59 am

The results of increasing my memory from 768 MB to 1,536 MB has completely stopped my hard drive from spooling out data.

This now means that the program does not stutter and freeze while having to constantly load in fresh data from the hard drive...!

With a little bit of careful selection of certain parts of the scenery which are important to me and ignoring the bits which are unimportant, I am now getting 30 FPS locked at 30 FPS... ;)...!

Flying in a straight and level attitude is lovely and smooth, but, as always, the most graphical intensive effect is banking the aircraft which is always a bit "lumpy"...!

So....so far, the addition of more memory on my Motherboard has made a fantastic difference, but the overall quality and speed of the Sim, far from matches my FS 2002 yet....!

...more work to be done... ;)...!

Paul....more news later... :)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RollerBall » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:44 am

Those features, such as reflecting water, ocean waves, reflecting runways, autogen bump-mapping (remember the building windows are supposed to reflect the sun ?) and of course self-shadowing are extremely costly, especially of today's average cards.

Yes, but people are missing the point of what I've said.

By not activating self shadowing I've achieved an enormous FR increase (from 2 to 15) which has enabled all the other swanky new features to be switched ON.

People must read things a bit more carefully  ;D  ;)

Seriously, self shadowing is something you have to look quite closely to see anyway but I was not aware that (on my rig at least) it's a HUGE FR hog.

I'm only suggesting that anyone experiencing similar problems to me (and I know that there are one or two  ::) ) might like to look in the same area to achieve an IMMEDIATE improvement with little lost in the way of new features.

See?
RollerBall

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:12 am

Bearing in mind that most of my hardware is really not up to running FSX flat-out, like it does on my FS 2004, I concentrate on the bits of the sim which are important to me...

(1). I don't need fancy looking, shiny, highly detailed aircraft....
....Why? because I'm always sat in the bleedin' cockpit either looking out of the window or looking at my 2D panel in front of me... ;)...!

(2). Cars, ships, traffic, birds, animals, etc are a distraction meaning I'm not looking where I'm going... :o...!

(3). Water detail: OFF. As long as it looks vaguely like water and it's coloured blue I'm not that fussed...;)...!

(4). Weather: Custom. Just enough cloud detail to look homely, and reduce visibility to 5-10 miles, (like in real life!).

(4). SCENERY. Now that's what I like!
Nice ground textures and layouts, lots of nice buildings, and colourful trees, 'cos that's what I spend most of my time gazing at as I happily and slowly chuff my way around the skies in a little GA aircraft... ;D

So....Until I decide to spend mega-bucks on a completely new hardware set-up to run everything in FSX flat-out, tweaking number 4 is what I am concentrating on at the mo'.... ;D...!
LOL... ;D...!

Paul...You cant beat a nice bit of scenery on a Monday afternoon... ;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby commoner » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:49 am

Paul...You cant beat a nice bit of scenery on a Monday afternoon... ;)...!

..lol...shouldn't that be "You can't beat a nice bit of Bully.....".

(English TV show catch phrase............commoner ;D
Image"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
commoner
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam