ere we go again

FSX including FSX Steam version.

ere we go again

Postby yancovitch » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:50 pm

been away for a few years with fsx, so is there a good up to date install instructions, with the best basic addons preferred, without having to go through tons of posts??.....things seem to change over the years.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: ere we go again

Postby napamule » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Well you are going to get a 'few' forum posts because you did not give any relevant information. What operating system (Win XP, Win 7, Win 8 or Win 10)? Specs? Did you have it installed in the past and in what - desktop or laptop? Also is it FSX, FSX Sp1 and Sp2, FSX Gold (Deluxe and Acceleration) or FSX SE (Steam Edition)? I doubt if anyone has the same rig specs as you do. But the basic rules (in case you don't come back) is to NOT install to 'C:\Program Files' folder. Update your video drivers. Then tweak your fsx.cfg using Google to find guides (Jesus and Kosta guides). We await your reply. Have a nice day.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 am

building a new computer ...so i'll be starting from scratch again.........aware of nickn's guidlines, but maybe they've changed with the new computers ....thought there may have been a shorter updated version available....so i best wait till my pc is built, and get the stuff i have together and organized...then i'll get back.....thanks for your advice.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:40 am

Well you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a 'suitable' desktop that will run FSS at 30 fps. Just to give you an idea as to what you can 'get by' with I am posting my specs. $1200 total, 4 years ago, air cooled, no issues. Hard Drives (C and D) are Western Digital 7200 rpm (important!!).

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration. Monitor AND FSX Res (BEST IF BOTH ARE SET THE SAME-match to MONITOR!!): 1920x1080x32 (locked at 30 FPS).

I had a shop 30 miles up the road pick the parts (he is GOOD) and that is the 'BIG' secret: MAKE PARTS MATCH to get best preformance because the system is 'balanced'. Pre Built PCs are usually stuffed with cheap and 'spare' parts to make more $. Also with new PC get the UPDATED mb chip set drivers (important). It's the 'little' things that make a big diference. Happy hunting (or, fishing). It is (or can be) like rolling the dice (ha)).
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 am

all done napamule, but thanks for the infor and support...namaste :)
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:02 pm

All done? Why I just got started (ha). I'm just and old guy (76 yrs old) that has been working in electronics and computer since 1960 (Air Force, Radar Repair, etc). I did not say but I bought the parts seperate and put them together myself. I bought one PC back in 1986. An EMachines (cheap) with a Pentium that ran FS98 and Windows 3.1. Lots of changes since then. But to do simming you HAVE to keep up on processsors, drivers, tweaks, etc. Only way to get 30 fps in FSX. My 'forte' is flight dynamics for vehicles (Porsche 911, Ferrari F1 and Enzo, etc). Twelve years now. But I also do 'concept' flight dynamics (Harrier, Osprey, UFO's, etc). Lots of fun this hobby. But not if you can only get 12 fps. Namaste: that's the nicest compliment I ever got (around here, anyway-hehe). Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam