Steam edition control changes

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Steam edition control changes

Postby Ghostrider114 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:59 pm

I've been away for a while, but now I'm back into FSX. Unfortunately my old FSX Deluxe license no longer worked because I've upgraded computers since the last time I used it, so I had to buy the Steam Edition.

Since starting to play again I've noticed a couple things that are different from what I remember. For one thing, didn't there used to be thrust reversers on some planes? I couldn't find the control command for them.
Ghostrider114
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Steam edition control changes

Postby papituwall » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:14 am

The reverse (thrust or propeller) is engaged when throttle is in "0" pressing the F2 key. To disengage press F1.

FSX-SE is exactly as FSX boxed, with some minor changes allowed from Microsoft to Dovetail. These minor changes have a major benefit in performance.

Good flights!

papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:34 am

I have (and use) the original Boxed version of FSX from long ago, including all its various updates....

....and I also have the Steam Version installed.

As it appears that the Steam Version is an improvement on the original Boxed Version, especially regarding speed and smoothness, it would be nice to use the Steam version, but really I don't want to go through all the rigmarole of moving, bit by bit, all my "Stuff" from my Boxed version over to my Steam version.

What I need is the POWER! of Steam, controlling all my Boxed FSX installed bits and bobs on my hard drive.... :pray: ...!

I've got all the Box Carriages on the rails, I just need the High Speed Steam Loco to pull/push them all along!.... :dance: ...!

There has to be a quick and easy way.... :roll: ...!

Paul...I like Quick and Easy!... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:01 am

Ghostrider114 wrote:I've been away for a while, but now I'm back into FSX. Unfortunately my old FSX Deluxe license no longer worked because I've upgraded computers since the last time I used it, so I had to buy the Steam Edition.

Since starting to play again I've noticed a couple things that are different from what I remember. For one thing, didn't there used to be thrust reversers on some planes? I couldn't find the control command for them.

If the boxed version of FSX you have is the deluxe version it might not install on a 64 bit operating system. I ran into that problem when I changed from windows XP 32 bit to Windows 8.1 64 bit the deluxe version I had would not install
so I wound up getting FSX Gold Edition with Acceleration. The crazy thing is about the only difference between the two is the fact that FSX Acceleration comes with the Gold edition . Because of a problem I had with windows 10 I no longer have FSX Acceleration installed. You should be able to install the deluxe edition but you will have to down load service packs 1 and 2 before you attempt to run it . That is what I did.
Of course I also have the steam edition as well.
To activate the thrust reversers press F2 and hold this is the default Key assignment which should work unless you did not check on the use default key assignments when you installed it. If that is the case all you have to do is to change the key assignment.
On the main menu at the top just select options and than select key assignments. I set up assignments for things like the Battery; Nav/GPS; Generator; wing fold; Tail hook; and Avionics '
<<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Ghostrider114 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 pm

installation wasn't the problem, I'd forgotten that FSX's license was one time use. I got it working, but without a license it would only run for half an hour at a time.

I looked through the key assignments, but I couldn't find Thrust Reversers. I was hoping to tie it to one of the functions on my throttle quadrant.
Ghostrider114
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Ghostrider114 wrote:installation wasn't the problem, I'd forgotten that FSX's license was one time use. I got it working, but without a license it would only run for half an hour at a time.

I looked through the key assignments, but I couldn't find Thrust Reversers. I was hoping to tie it to one of the functions on my throttle quadrant.

Hmm. I've installed & activated FSX Gold edition on 3 different PCs with no problem. :think:

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Canuck1955 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:17 pm

My experience with GOLD is thusly when I installed a new MB, CPU, RAM and 64 bit W10. It would not install without various error messages and this on a a virgin SSD. The erros (numbbers I now forget) are all well documented but none of the fixes worked for me. I resorted to using FSXSE which I had bought as a safety when it was $5. I cannot say I notice much if any improvement over FSX Gold. It still locks up and crashes with the same regularity. Thank heavens for consistency.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Ghostrider114 wrote:installation wasn't the problem, I'd forgotten that FSX's license was one time use. I got it working, but without a license it would only run for half an hour at a time.

I have explained how to, but it seems you haven' t seen.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby garymbuska » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am

papituwall wrote:

I have explained how to, but it seems you haven' t seen.

I have a Saitex Cessna Flight Yoke with throttles and use it for reverse as well as forward. All of the throttles have a neutral position. All I had to do was to push the throttle down it shows up on the programming sofware and you just press the F2 key and accept the change and it is done. The software allows you to set up just about anything you want on the different buttons and switches. There are even three different modes which you could use for almost any game. I answer ATC with two buttons and one rocker switch. I have flaps set up on one of the four rocker switches that are on the throttle. It really makes flying a lot easier. 8-) <<t
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam