Getting what I paid for.

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Getting what I paid for.

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 am

zswobbie1 wrote:Of course there was a 64 bit version of Windows Vista! How did you think otherwise?

Windows Vista Home Basic
Similar to Windows XP Home Edition, Home Basic targets budget-conscious users not requiring advanced media support for home use. This edition lacks the Windows Aero graphical user interface with translucent glass effects; however, it does support desktop composition. Home Basic supports one physical CPU, but with multiple cores,[14] and the 64-bit version supports up to 8 GB of RAM.[15]

Yup, Windows 8.1 was an update to Windows 8. But, like Vista, also a bit of a 'dog'! Many users went from a happy install of Windows 7, straight to Windows 10.

I will forgo Windows 10 and three Hail Mary's.....
..but a glass of South African Red Wine would go down very nicely at the moment..... ;) ....!

Paul.... :whistle: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 pm

I usually find it interesting how a post by one person can get morphed into something barely recognizable by other posts.

Everyone has their own look on life, computers, operating systems, and programs. Girls, food, cars - the list can go on for days, if not years.

I think that gordie's first sentence really states his case.

"I need to express my disappointment and frustration with Microsoft and its FSX."

If there is anyone who hasn't had some kind of a problem that was caused by Microsoft (Apple, Linux, Atari, Commodore PET, etc.), let me say Welcome to your first five minutes with a computer.

As to FSX. Again, anyone who hasn't had teething problems learning to get it to look and behave "just right"?

"I am a retired pastor; a computer USER not a computer DEVELOPER."

Retired. Many of us here are "retired". Probably not much money to spend?

And when you do spend it on a new computer, you don't have a lot of extra money to buy new programs to replace obsolete programs that will no longer work because of new hardware/software.

"...a computer USER not a computer DEVELOPER."

I've been working with computers as an enthusiast from about 1985-88, and in a small IT department until I became unemployable due to age (in my late 40's).

But a lot of people just want to use a computer, not learn all there is to know about one.

All in all, I can see that it's pretty easy to become frustrated as he said.

Please give this a try

If you have your old hard drive, and it works.

Contact a local computer store (NOT one of the big companies). Ask them if they can clone your old drive onto a NEW drive and put it in your new computer.

If you want some assurance, ask if they'll agree to NOT CHARGE you if it doesn't work out.

People who are used to doing it should easily say Yes. If they san No, go somewhere else.

If it works, and it should, you'll have to pay for another hard drive. That may be anywhere between $50 and $80. Remember, although you can get it cheaper, they have to make some kind of a profit on it to stay in business.

Also expect to pay for the time to clone & install your new drive. It usually takes me an hour or less. If they need to read the instructions, it may take longer.

SIDE NOTE - BEFORE YOU GET YOUR DRIVE CLONED:
1) Run your antivirus program
2) Delete any programs that you don't want/need.
3) Download and run CCleaner free edition. Use the Cleaner and the Registry checker.
4) Defragment your hard drive
5) Error Check your drive through My Computer

What you'll end up with is your old drive, along with your old data & programs.

You'll ALSO have the drive that came with your new computer. You can keep it as insurance against your new hard drive being wiped out.

If you think that you need far more drive space, use it as a second drive in your new computer.

Me? I have three solid state drives, and one regular hard drive.

There is an alternative that could cost you less, but that will be up to you. As garymbuska said you can try Megasceneryearth.

Megasceneryearth is about as close as you can get to flying over your own house. The problem is, is that it looks best from 2,000 feet and higher. Generally, around 3,000 to 4,000 is very
good.

Megasceneryearth Wisconsin - $19.97
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZreAiJq3Dw[/youtube]

Megasceneryearth Illinois - $39.95
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7nw6I_qgU[/youtube]
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:34 am

Paul, a virtual glass of South African Merlot, & a tip of the hat.
Yup, we do have some spectacular reds here in South Africa!
:dance:
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 am

zswobbie1 wrote:Of course there was a 64 bit version of Windows Vista! How did you think otherwise?

Windows Vista Home Basic
Similar to Windows XP Home Edition, Home Basic targets budget-conscious users not requiring advanced media support for home use. This edition lacks the Windows Aero graphical user interface with translucent glass effects; however, it does support desktop composition. Home Basic supports one physical CPU, but with multiple cores,[14] and the 64-bit version supports up to 8 GB of RAM.[15]

Yup, Windows 8.1 was an update to Windows 8. But, like Vista, also a bit of a 'dog'! Many users went from a happy install of Windows 7, straight to Windows 10.

I completely forgot about that version I stand corrected. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby davido53 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:09 am

Fozzer wrote:...and just as you though that The Lord was on your side?..... :pray: ....

He gave you a Computer with Windows 10 installed!... :shock: .... :shock: ...!

Hellfire and Damnation!.... :twisted: ....!

Time to see the light!

Paul....A confirmed Atheist with Windows 8.1....... :dance: ...!

.... :lol: ...!!

Atheists proving once again that they are the most uncivil people around.
davido53
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 am

Atheists proving once again that they are the most uncivil people around.

davido53,, Did someone not say "'He who is without sin can cast the first stone'?"

Enough with this now...
Back to topic?
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby davido53 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 am

don't quote the Bible...the atheists will get you
davido53
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous